Removing a 1 star retaliatory review

Answered!
Sally116
Level 3
Gold Coast, Australia

Removing a 1 star retaliatory review

I was excited to read retaliatory reviews are being removed. And about time! It's so ridiculous to allow those scam reviews to affect our ratings thus our businesses.
So I sent a message asking to have one of mine removed. ( Yes I have many!) So I started with the first and most obvious no-brainer.
Two friends and their two children checked into my small twin room for 4 nights. It was a year ago so prices were dirt cheap ($244.27) which saw local couch surfers of no fixed abode able to afford a stay (especially if they are banking on scamming a full refund).
They wrote in airbnb messages to me the night before checkout that they "absolutely adored your place! was so beautiful and homely". But just after check out they send a message asking if I saw their request? And then said 'I hope I can still give you a good review.' I had no idea what they were talking about until I see a request for $250. (The amount of the booking) The reason given is that they found syringe needles in a draw. Little doubt there were needles in the room but they weren't there when they checked in as I check every room after cleaner is finished. I didn't pay it . I got a 1 star review.
Airbnb contact me yesterday and say they see nothing wrong with the review. I point out they gave me a one star review as retaliation for not paying the ransom. They don't agree. I ask for it to be escalated. After much discussion she says it will be. They phone today and say they won't be removing it.
So a 1 star review on a superhost's property that has an average of 4.79 from 128 reviews (lower than my identical room because of that 1 star) doesn't look out of place and suspicious to airbnb?? They aren't wondering if there's a reason that guest hated everything about a room that so many others loved???
That fact that they wrote ' I hope I can still give you a good review ' isn't rocket science for "I will give you a good review IF you pay  but I'll retaliate with a one star if you don't ".
Thoughts? Anyone had a similar one taken down?
1 Best Answer
Sally116
Level 3
Gold Coast, Australia

update:  I did what was recommended & continued to put these circumstances to ambassador after ambassador. When they refused to escalate it and the decision was final I opened another case.  Eventually I did get it removed.  I see that some replied here that they would look at it.  Are some of these replies from airbnb staff?  I'm confused.  Very happy to see justice.  I had 128 reviews & 4.78 average.  Once removed I had 127 reviews & average of 4.82 so it was worth it!  Do it!!  

View Best Answer in original post

43 Replies 43
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Sally116 

From the review policy:

"Members of the Airbnb community may not coerce, intimidate, extort, threaten, incentivize or manipulate another person in an attempt to influence a review, like promising compensation in exchange for a positive review or threatening consequences in the event of a negative review. "

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2673

Sally116
Level 3
Gold Coast, Australia

Thanks!  I'll quote this

This is false, and I'll go one better.  

Despite AirBnb's policy for guests to "not write biased or inauthentic reviews as a form of retaliation against a Host who enforces a policy or rule" this is obviously contradicted in the following response from your support team.  (This is what I tried to argue when a recent guest left a retaliatory 1-star review (my only one after 4 years). Here's AirBnb's response...

"In order for a review to be removed, the contents of the review has to be in violation of our policies, after checking several times through the review which was left for you, the review did not violate our polices. We also do not remove review based off truth or fairness." 

"Based on the content in the review, we could not find any content or language that goes against our policies, we understand that this may seem unfair to you and wish that there was something else that could be done however, we are not able to make exceptions or override the policies." 

So, it really doesn't appear to matter that a guest can violate house rules, or that his review was untruthful, or that he admitted in his review that he violated house rules, only that his review didn't violate AirBnb policy....which is for guests to respect and follow house rules and not retaliate when a host tries to enforce them.

Exact same for me 

If we are all getting the exact same responses from airbnb  then it shows they are not even investigation the review itself  or the thread and conversation we have .

@Emilie 

I remember a guest saying to a friend of mine, if she gives him a discount he will give here good review,

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Did you have a recent Guest write a review which has impacted on your Star Ratings?

If you go into your Account settings you may or may not be able to see Account Activity, this allows you to see a Timeline of the Chain of events in chronological order where & when your listing was 'suspended'.

Match that information up with any messages you have received for Reviews written and it should marry up with who has potentially given you a Review that you either may need to work on, or in the case of a Review that is Retaliatory, you have the right to ask for it to be removed.

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hello @Sally116 

I'm so sorry to hear about this.

I've escalated this for you to see if we can find out more information about what happened here!

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

We have a guest that never came, reservation got canceled, he got a refund and still wrote a 1 star review stating that he was never refunded. Anyway to help us too?

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @AZ-Housing0

As part of the recent changes to this policy, you can request removal of a review from guests who:

• Commit a serious policy violation, such as damaging your property or overstaying their reservation
  • Violate your house rules – for example, by having an unauthorised party or event at your place

If this applies to you, do get in touch with the Support teams who will be able to assist you further. 🙂

Thanks, 

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

I spoke to 15 different support agents, at least 8 of them did not even listen and replied with standart messages, some were browsing the web and acting as if they are "listening" to what I am saying, I don't blame them, because I know how underpaid they are 🙂 That's why I'm trying to get attention here. New policies have a part where it says

• " If a guest never arrived for their stay or Experience, or had to cancel due to circumstances unrelated to that stay or Experience, their review may be removed."

Basically this is exactly our case, they never arrived. The problem is, that is not clear, as there is the wording "may" meaning it may or may not be removed.

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@AZ-Housing0 Thanks for coming back to me and providing more details! I'll see if I can nudge someone for you on this one, if I get any news I'll let you know. 🙂

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Robbie54
Level 10
North Runcton, United Kingdom

@Emilie surely after @AZ-Housing0  spoke to 15 different agents they'd be no need for you to do anything. This alone is proof that Airbnb's customer service is broken and have been for a long time! 

Aslea0
Level 3
Melbourne, Australia

May I please ask a question . About new retaliatory  policy 

Is violating house rules only a party ? Nothing else  related to condition of property ?

It says" guest must not write biased reviews or inauthentic reviews as a form of retaliation against a host who enforces  a policy or a rule " 

Are pet rules  a policy / rules? 

As in  pets are not allowed to sleep in beds on  hosts linen .  

Rubbish,  bottles left on ground , clothes left on ground , lamp broken and left under a bed .

Suspected  a group of teenagers   used place  but I have no full evidence  other that condition of property in when I arrived to clean .

Are these things disrespecting airbnb policy's   and   not following house rules . 

Are guest not required to respect  your home and  follow rules , especially if you allow pets and have pet rules .

Or they can  do this  and  new retaliatory  review policy  is only if you have proof  of party .

When i looked up what to do  after guest checked out

I followed airbnb   website where it said contact guest direct to rectify the issue first  before contacting the resolution centre. 

So I did , via the platform  so all my messages are there .I questioned the guest on condition  on why she let pet on bed , left rubbish , broke lamp and shoved under bed  left it filthy  and I even questioned her on if she left  a group of teenagers there alone ( as it looked like that to me )

She then retaliated  as her review is all about how I complained and questioned her . Nothing in review is about her stay .it's all about me complaining .

If I didn't complain or contact her directly 5 hours after check out  there is no possible way she could of said what she did in her review . Her review is about me letting her know she broke rules . 

Isn't this her retaliating  because I was so upset on how she disrespected my house , my pet rules . She said I accused her of damage . I made exaggerated complaints on how the property was left  after she left . 

She said

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Sally116 

After all the noise about getting reviews removed, I would like to hear from any host who did manage to get them removed, seems to me same old same old.

Personally I cant be bothered to even ask airbnb to remove the one bad review I have,