Rotten guest

Rotten guest

So...I'm pretty angry about a guest experience. First, the guest checked in 2 hours early without requesting to do so (we are self check in). Because of the size of the room and the amenities we offer, we only offer the room to one guest. This guest checked in with another party. We offer a fully stocked mini fridge, snacks, and a microwave. They actually ate our dinner out of our personal refrigerator while we were at work.  Granted...nobody died but I feel like we were taken advantage of. So my question is....has anyone left a bad review for a guest and been retaliated against? I mean, they know where we live right? 

7 Replies 7
Michael477
Level 10
Cholula, Mexico

Hi @Paul-And-Jan2 : By respect to all other hosts we HAVE TO publish that at least in the evaluations! I eben wluld have called up AirBnB in the very moment and kicked that guest out!

Saludos
Michael
Rowena29
Level 10
Australia

Hi @Paul-And-Jan2 

I can well understand how miffed you must feel.

I think it's important to always leave a factual, honest review. You can be diplomatic without going into any detail so the guest won't be offended. Also, guests are unable to see how many stars you left them.

HOWEVER I've had a quick look at your listing, (which looks really lovely BTW),  and nowhere in the description or house rules  can I see do you state that you will only accept ONE guest. 

I can well imagine that a booker will see that you have a queen bed the 2 chairs at the front of your cabin,  the 3 chairs  on the outside deck - four in the dining room  - and think it's perfectly ok to bring 2 guests or maybe even 3.   Some hosts charge a flat rate for their listing regardless of how many guests stay, and some charge per person, so guests can genuinely make honest mistakes.

Also re early check in - many hosts have a system where the self check will be a different code for each guest and the code can be set to be timed so that a guest CAN'T get in prior to check in time.

(Even if you don't get a system like that, it's worthwhile telling the guest that a code will not become active until such and such a time - then they are far less likely to try it on). Or if it's a key, you can tell them that the key will be placed in such and such a spot by such and such a time ( even if you place it there earlier - the guest doens't know that)

Eating you meals sounds pretty outrageous, but again without knowing more was this absolutely apparent to the guest? Again there is not much detail regarding access - what's off limits -  in your description.   it's worth covering yourself re this in your description also - that way guests can't say they were unprepared for what they encountered and would never have booked if they'd realised, and also if you need to ring CS for any reason, They can take a look at your listing and see you have indeed specified whatever.  Or was your personal refrigerator in a completely different building? If that's the case I can't see how anyone could have "misunderstood" and I'd be definitley marking them down on stars.   I'm not very diplomatic, but I"m sure another host will have some clever advice re a  way of expressing things, without being inflamatory.

All up it sounds to me like this guest was entitled and really taking liberties. However until you beef up your listing a bit so that everything that you expect is crystal clear before your guest arrives ( regardless of whether they read it or not) I'd be inclined to go a little more gently, especially re the extra guest.

Otherwise there's a danger the guest can get the review taken down as you were not explicit enough.  It's all about covering yourself unfortunately.    For example I"ve just had a party of 8 stay 2 weeks.  due to traffic, only 1 person was there for my guided tour and check in. I showed her where I had placed substantial supplies of extra linens, towels etc.   I have 2 cupboards in my house that are locked - one for cleaning supplies, one for extra linens.  I state in my listing I have a couple of locked cupboards.   After these guests checked out, I discovered one of them had "forced" the spare linen cupboard door to the point he had ripped off a large bolt held in place by 6 sturdy screws adn got himself a towel.   There is MASSES of linen in there, only 2 towels were taken.  Clearly the info re the extra linens on a shelf elsewhere was not passed on.  I'm pretty irritated, naturally, but they were pretty good guests on the whole and I can see it was a stupid accident and lack of communication ( although it would have been nice if they' informed me so I could have made arrangements to fix it before my next guests checked in).   As a result, I"m going to print 2 large laminated signs saying "locked" -  so that guests can't say ( but I didn't REALISE that was one of the locked cupboards, I thought the door was just a bit stiff).

I"m sure other hosts will have other ideas and opinions to help.

Cheers

@Paul-And-Jan2  @Rowena29 

I believe that this is where we all expect to find the maximum number of guests; NOT in the house rules.

Screen Shot 2020-01-03 at 9.58.47 PM.png

Yes It is @Susan151 , I agree,

but I have also experienced a substantial number of guests newish to the platform who just don't "get" a lot.  There are countless examples on these forums were hosts complain their stated maximum is 5 and 8 turn up ( for example).  From memory @Lawrene0 has a listing which is tiny and she goes to some trouble to spell this out in the description to avoid confusion and/or disappointment.

As hosts we know it's there, but guests don't necessarily.  I realise if a guest tried to book for a 2nd guest on this listing they'd be blocked, but lots of guests don't book for the number that are coming - and the system doesn't really facilitate them to.   And looking at the photos on the listing, there is nothing that screams "one person only", Isnt' it better to try to mitigate problems before they occur rather than try to deal with them after they've happened?   Especially if there is self check in?

IMO you are far less likely to have "misunderstandings" if it is clearly stated in the description, or the house rules or the first booking message, - whatever - that the maximum is whatever it is. Especially as some guests try to get the maximum  by having "visitors". You can nip that  in the bud in the house rules also.

For interest, how would you advise @Paul-And-Jan2 to handle the review? I hate writing reviews where things haven't been ideal and i'm always grateful to  hear how other hosts would  manage  things

Cheers

Susan1028
Level 10
Oregon, US

I agree about being very clear in your listing.  It deters those who want something else, inspires respect, and protects you in many ways. Even if they don't read the whole thing, you DO have foundation if you have to fall back on host support for anything.

Ahhh... how to honestly yet tactfully review guests who take more liberties than most others would?  I have a bit of fun with these, myself.  In this situation, a humorous tone might be a good fit.  The impish part of me might mention:

"A" booked a one person overnight. A and B arrived early, while I was still at work, with robust appetites. In addition to the complementary refreshments in her in-room fridge, they enjoyed what was in ours too!"

This flags at least 4 basic boundary/respect/courtesy issues for other hosts:

a- they arrived before they were invited to and before you arrived home

b- they quickly consumed (or took with them) everything intended for them

c- they additionally went into your private food

d- they ate your food without asking

I do not host in my living space, but I do make it clear that I welcome my guests personally.  That's "host speak" for; I confirm the right individual(s) booked are who shows up, get a feel for what kind of guests they will be, reinforce expectations accordingly, and make sure to check in with the primary booking guest as needed to keep tabs lol...).

We live and learn.  Best wishes!

Susan

@Susan1028  Love the taking of liberties countered with humor!  We hosts would do well to try to respond to a lot of guest transgressions with humor and sarcasm rather than taking it all like such a serious affront. A review like that shows up the absurdity of the guest's behavior and makes it evident that the host is an easygoing person rather than a defensive, accusing one.

A friend who hosts a modest, eclectic, private suite in her home greeted a guest at the door and when she saw he had arrived in a brand new Lexus, said jokingly, "Jeez, man, why'd you book my place? There's high-end hotels in town, you know." It was a perfect ice-breaker. Not only was she acknowledging that her place isn't fancy, he laughed, and said he travels a lot on business and much prefers homey digs to impersonal hotels.

Rowena29
Level 10
Australia

So clever @Susan1028!