Scam

Paul8791
Level 1
Harpenden, United Kingdom

Scam

Hi,

I'm fairly new to hosting with great guests so far.  I have one lady who asked to book as i have pre-approval, but then after i responded disappeared.  Then a few days ago came back asking to book for a month which i agreed to.  She then asked to come a few days earlier as its her daughters birthday.  She had said she was coming from abroad and her card isn't working, but she would go to the bank to get it sorted so i said i'd hold the dates.  A couple of times she has mentioned paying directly but i've said no.  She is still saying she is trying to sort the situation out and can i hold the dates.  It seems like a scam, but i cant figure out how they are trying to scam me, as i've clearly stated i will only take the reservation once paid on the platform.  Tonight she messaged saying she was speaking to Airbnb as her one time passcode for her visa wasn't working.  Has anyone else experienced something like this?  

thanks

6 Replies 6
Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

@Paul8791 You’re either really, really nice or need a booking. I recommend stop communicating with this person. She’s already a problem and hasn’t even booked your rental. There are lots of red flags! Just block this person if you find that you just have to respond. The only problem she’s having is that she does NOT have the funds. 

Paul8791
Level 1

I'd like to think nice, but you are indeed right, I've spent way too much time already on it.  I'll block them.  Never ceases to amaze me that there are people out there doing this sort of thing.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Paul8791 

No, no, no. This could just be someone who is inexperienced and doesn't know how to use the platform (not sure if she already has previous reviews?), but that is not your problem. She needs to book and pay via the platform, and that's it. If she wants to change her dates, she can either send you an alteration request or vice versa.

Be aware that if you take payments off platform and get caught, you might end up being delisted/removed from Airbnb. Don't do it.

Paul8791
Level 1

I definitely won't be taking payments off the platform, I've made that clear.  

She doesn't have reviews. She does know how to use the platform as she's previously requested dates, but she's saying her card isnt working which is why I'm suspicious.  Either way I'll just leave it. 

I was interested to see how someone could possibly scam if I'm refusing to take the booking any other way. 

Thanks for the advice.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Paul8791 

Being able to send a booking request does not necessarily mean the guest understands how the platform works. I recently and an issue with a guest who tried to pay using his father's credit card. Naturally, the payment was rejected because it did not match his ID. I don't think he was trying to scam me, he was just a bit clueless. When I instructed him how he should do the booking, he followed the instructions and all was fine.

I am not sure how anyone could scam you if you are only taking payments on platform...

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Paul8791 I would send a change request pulling the whole stay forward. That way she doesnt need to pay anymore money.