Selling my Airbnb property...

Jessica52
Level 2
Sherwood, OR

Selling my Airbnb property...

Hello hosts

I am the super host and recently decided to sell my Airbnb property.  Just got an offer and very likely to accept the deal.  With that to say,  I will have to cancel my guests' future reservations, will that cause me losing the Super host status?  I appreciate any advice! 

Jessica

26 Replies 26
David-and-Gael0
Level 2
South Australia, Australia

I'm not believing what I 'm reading here!  I have just sold my property to a buyer who wants to continue with Airbnb.   I have just asked Airbnb how I can seamlessly pass my forward bookings onto the new owner of our property.  "We don't have a mechanism to do that" they told me.  They still do not have any improvements to their system!  They tell me I have to give Airbnb a bill of sale and then they will contact all the forward booked guests and cancel the bookings!!!!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Of course you can't transfer bookings to a new owner that would be highly unfair on your guests who booked your listing in good faith based on YOUR reviews and the way you run things @David-and-Gael0  You are not selling 'an airbnb' you are selling a property. Listings are not transferable.  The new owner may want to price and manage the property differently.

Really this is something it would have been better for you to look into before you put your house on the market.

If you are selling your property you should have just opened up your calendar three months in advance so you didn't accept bookings you knew you couldn't honour. This is what I did and the new host set up a listing to start from when they had ownership of the property.

The advice from Airbnb was correct if you cannot honour the bookings you need to cancel them and they can rebook should they wish with the new host. You cannot expect guests to necessarily book with an unknown host.

Advise the new owner to set up their own listing (if you want to can give them access to your photos and copy to use, do so) once the purchase is complete, they can let their listing go live.

The only way around this that I can see is if the new owner blocks out dates from his calendar for existing bookings. You can continue to host these dates from your listing and agree a co-host commission. (you would need to draw up a contract with the new owner to cover this. Of course the risk is if he doesn't maintain the property you could end up getting bad reviews.

David-and-Gael0
Level 2
South Australia, Australia

Hi Helen

You make some good points for Airbnb hosts who have close contact with their guests but many hosts are absentee owners and have a manager or caretaker to look after the guests.  This is much like a hotel situation where the owner is not present, and a manager handles all the bookings.  If a hotel changes hands all the forward bookings don't get cancelled! 

Our new owner will also be an absentee and will be continuing with our caretaker in exactly the same way as we were.  The change of ownership could have zero effect on the forward booked guests.  The current system used by Airbnb will inconvenience, the current owner, the new owner and the forward booked guests.  All this could have been avoided with a simple, seamless transfer of ownership.  The price would be the same, the accommodation would be the same and the guests would be none the wiser; everyone would be happy. 

I agree with you where host and guests interact closely but that is not always the case, and some flexibility would be a big improvement the how Airbnb handles situations like ours. 

Hi everybody. I am selling my beach front RBNB property in Brazil. Let me know if anyone is interestedFC0EDD6A-98E4-4558-B7A6-02F955CB8069.jpeg

Herman183
Level 2
Manalapan, FL

where in Brazil and how much

Anyone knows how to advise on marketing an RBNB beach pousada in Brazil for sale.

thanks

Herman183
Level 2
Manalapan, FL

info

Marquita3
Level 2
Newport Beach, CA

Hi Sarah,

Thank you so much for your prompt reply.  The Owner/Host has not yet cancelled my reservation, however I am concerned about that happening, again.  It just recently happened to me with a previous Airbnb host (Sept. 2020).  Upon close of the sale, which I knew nothing about, I was given only 30 days  to find another place, which  I did (with current host), only to be met by the same scenario.  Why don't hosts give a courtesy notice to their guests at the time they decide to put their home on the market to sell?  From the guests' perspective, its difficult to find a suitable Airbnb, not to mention search time,  inconvenience, and discomfort.

Kind regards,

Marquita

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I agree it's pretty rude of the host to do this. It's like they want to milk every last penny out of the Airbnb up to the day the property sells. But on the other hand, you really don't know what the host intends if the property sells- possession could be contingent on waiting until the current bookings are completed. I'd dialogue with the host, letting them know you've been through this scenario before and are worried about it happening again. If you don't feel reassured, maybe the host will agree to let you cancel now with a full refund so you can look for another place.

@Marquita3

Marquita3
Level 2
Newport Beach, CA

What are Airbnb guests to do in a situation where the Owner/Host has put the home up for sale without extending a courtesy notice to its 7 guests?  Further, the sale listing does not state the home as being an Airbnb, and I highly doubt that the Owner/Host has informed Airbnb of this status.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Are you saying your reservation has been cancelled, or just that you see that the house is for sale? Just because a house is on the market doesn't mean it would affect the current reservations- it could take a year or more to sell and the current host may make some arrangement with prospective buyers that they can't take possession until booked guests have completed their stays.

There isn't any reason for the sale ad to state that it's an Airbnb, because you can't sell an Airbnb business- all the owner is selling is the house, perhaps with contents- it's up to the buyer as to whether they want to continue running it as an Airbnb. Airbnb listings are non-transferrable- if a future owner wants to Airbnb it, they have to create a new listing from scratch- all the reviews and ratings would stay with the current host's account.

So if it's a matter of you being worried that the house would sell before your booking and you'd get cancelled last minute, that's something you have to discuss with the current host.  And of course it wouldn't be okay for them to take prospective buyers through the place if they have guests in residence.

@Marquita3

Hi! I know all of this happened last spring but I was wondering how I find other people like yourself who wants to sell their Airbnb business??!! Our family is looking for a place and are having trouble being allowed to do it but if we could get an already existing one that would be great! Not sure how that could be done but I thought I would give this a try...

Herman183
Level 2
Manalapan, FL

I have one in lake worth booked up until late march. I'm considering selling mine due to wanting to use the money in other investments I have, and wanting to move from internationally. My place is in south florida

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Harriet110  A host cannot "sell their Airbnb business". Listings aren't transferrable and the reviews and ratings earned by the host stay with the original host's profile. If you buy a place, you'd have to start the listing from scratch, in your name. I'm sure that when places that have used as Airbnbs are put up for sale, that the seller would mention that in the ad, as it would be a good selling point. You could also contact local realtors and tell them what you are looking for.

Thank you for your help! We contacted a realtor already and he was very discouraging....we live in Montreal Canada and although there is a lot of Airbnb in our area we are stumped on how they are doing it....landlords frown on it a lot but it could also be our approach. I will take your advise and see if there are listings that specifically state it in the ad....wish us luck! And thanks again!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Harriet110  So you are talking about finding a place to rent, as opposed to looking for a place to buy, that will allow you to run an Airbnb? That's totally different. You are correct, most landlords won't allow it, and for very good reason, likely having nothing to do with your approach. Their insurance wouldn't cover damages by Airbnb guests, and Airbnb has very little protection for hosts in this regard. Ask yourself, if an Airbnb stopped up the plumbing, necessitating expensive repairs, is that something you would be prepared to shoulder the cost of? Or would you expect the landlord to?

When a landlord rents to full-time tenants, they normally ask for refernces, employment history, recommendations from previous landlords, etc. There are no such precautions and guarantees when having Airbnb guests in one's home.

Airbnb isn't some easy way to make money. It's hard work and requires constant vigilance and expenses can be much greater than anticipated. 

I wish you luck in other aspects of your life, but not in looking for a place to rent that you want to turn around and list on Airbnb. As a home owner and Airbnb host myself, knowing what I do about the risks involved, I would never allow a renter to Airbnb my home and I would be furious if I found out they were doing so without my knowledge.

Tararita0
Level 2
Chico, CA

I want to advertise my AIRBNB for sale because I am relocating.

I have a compound of 3 houses in Chico, CA.

Can anyone advise me about the best advertising and marketing strategy?

Cass11
Level 1
Michigan, United States

Hi there!  I just worked the more traditional route, with my realtor.  The first line in the listing description did mention it was operating as an AirBnB.  Though I did not do this, you could also include links to the rental site in the description. This saves potential buyers the time in trying to find your listing. It also quickly gives them a sense of experience quality/type guests have in your properties. Best wishes!

Marie843
Level 1
St. Louis, MO

Iam interested into selling my property and do you know any interesting in 7.3 acres of land private gate and 5 bedroom 3.5 bath beautiful design everything will be included in the price all furnitures all beds full basement finish 2bed extra could sleep 16 guests and full equipment kitchen all u have to do it continues hosting everything in the house will stay 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jessica52   I should think that having to cancel future reservations because you're selling the property would count as an extenuating circumstance. Obviously, you can't host a home you no longer own. I'd phone airbnb Superhost line and ask them what the appropriate way to deal with this is- I'd hope they would cancel for you, and offer the guests other accomodations or a refund, and not have it show up on your account as having cancelled reservations.

Explore Resource Center articles

Making your home ready for guests
Tips from Airbnb plus hosts: How to add thoughtful touches
Supporting guests during their stay