Service animals in a no pet home

Stephanie1767
Level 2
Gilbert, AZ

Service animals in a no pet home

I know we can not deny service animals, but how can I get proof this is a legit service animal and not someone just trying to take their dog along? Potential guest says his wife requires a service dog for anxiety. We have a no pet policy in our home because I'm allergic to dogs.

3 Replies 3
Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Stephanie1767  in Australia service animals all carry their own ID . So you can ask to have their id sent through. H

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Stephanie1767   Double check the current Airbnb language, but I believe you can ask what is the task that the animal is trained for, and you can direct them to the Airbnb guidelines where it is stated that the expectation for a service dog is that the dog will be with it's person at ALL TIMES, and will not be left alone at the property.  I've found the couple of times people wanted to come with 'emotional support' dogs once I linked them to the language that the dog could not be left alone in the house they withdrew their requests.

If you can prove that you have to do the cleaning and document your allergy you might be able to refuse them on that basis, but you'd have to jump through some hoops with Airbnb to do so.

@Helen744  As far as I know there no US equivalent ID for service dogs in the US.

Michael5047
Level 6
West Palm Beach, FL