Sweet message to confirm if guest has checked-out

Huiying0
Level 1
San Francisco, CA

Sweet message to confirm if guest has checked-out

Hey all, I'm new to hosting, would really appreciate some tips from you all. Most of my guest leave early in the morning the day of check-out, is there any message that you could send to them to confirm that they have checked out, without sounding to nosy? I want to be able to get into the room and start cleaning early if guests are gone, it would be especially helpful if I have same day turn over. Any example message you could share? Thank you very much!

13 Replies 13
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Huiying0. Since I pick up the keys at check out, I always ask them in advance to call me when they are ready to check out.  What you can do is send the guest a message the day before check out asking them when they plan to check out so you can begin the cleaning process.  Or ask them to tell you when they have checked out.  

Thanks Clare! I have a digital lock so guest can check in and out without key exchange, it's gives them flexibility and privacy while frees me from waiting for guests all the time. But that means I don't know when they check out. =P I agree I should probably ask them the day before when they plan to check out. I recently had some one-night stays, so I have to send them long messages to give them information - confirm booking, ask them to read the rules, check-in instruction, ask them to review, etc. That's already so much to read, so I want to make the check-out communication as simple as possible. Can you or anyone else share the messages you use in this case?

@Huiying0. Don't forget that you can use Saved Messages!  Just takes a couple of clicks to send one!

Can you check your lock status to see if it has been locked when they leave? We have a camera overlooking our parking area so we can see when the cars are gone.

Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Huiying0 I like to send a thank you either the night before if they tell me they are leaving early or at 8am I send this message- 

Morning New Friends!
We just wanted to drop you a note to say Thank You!

We hope your stay was fun and you enjoyed your visit.

We really appreciate you choosing to stay with us during your travels.
Check out time is 11am today and maid service starts promptly.

Could you please send me a text letting me know when you departed, so I can let the housekeeper know when she can get started cleaning for our next guest.
Have a safe trip back home and don’t forget to leave us a great review so other travelers know we can be trusted. 
Thank you very Much! 

This works  99 percent of the time for getting a text message and I’ve hosted 44 groups and have 40 reviews since April 2017. 

‘You know it’s hard out here for a Host’

That's awesome, polite, sweet and have all the practical information the guest need to know. Thank you so much for sharing Rene! I really appreciate it!

I like @Rene-and-Zac0 's note... I have a Checkout Checklist in our Barn Welcome Book. The evening before departure I direct them to check the list, the last item there is "message that you've locked up and gone"

I also have a door camera, so I know they've gone even if they forget to tell me

This is the best message ever! I've been using it. Two thumbs up!

wonderful! thank you!

Great advice, and look at you guys now, 420 Reviews. So many thumbs up, we love your listings and might contact you soon.

Cheers/Glenn

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Huiying0

You can also ask them about departure time directly after booking in a nice and polite message. If they have a flight or other transport booked, they will know.

Or when you send the check-in instructions or any time you find it convenient to ask when communicating with your guests. 

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

Many people are still using old phones. The ABB system redirects the messages via SMS.

SMS has a limited number of symbols, depending from the alphabet used. This number varies between 160 and 70 symbols. So...the message must be short...no more then 50-60 symbols.

Juliann3
Level 2
Old Saybrook, CT

Many thanks to Rene for her great, day of check out message. I made some modifications to fit our place and thought I would share.

Note-    I just discovered that the Airbnb scheduled message system does not SPELL CHECK! I only figured this out after seeing errors surface on this thread. I am using a macbook and not a PC. Maybe that is why?

Good Morning {guest name} 

We just wanted to drop you a quick note to say "Thank You!"

This is just a friendly reminder that check-out time is 11 am. If you need additional time, we will be happy to try and accommodate your request. Just let us know.

After your departure, we kindly ask you send us a quick text so that we can inform housekeeping.

Our hope is that  {place}  met or exceeded your expectations and that you enjoyed your time here. It has been our pleasure hosting you and we really appreciate you choosing to stay with us during your travels.

If all was to your satisfaction, it would be very much appreciated if you could take a moment to write a positive review about your stay at..... and we will do the same for you as our guests!

Thank you so much! Safe travels and hope to see you again!
{host name}