What are some known Guest Scams?

Answered!
Anthony608
Level 10
Silver Spring, MD

What are some known Guest Scams?

I have been hosting for two years now and have seen my share of shady and suspicious guests.  I am wondering what actual scams other hosts have seen committed by potential guests.

The most serious scam I ever saw was what I believed to be a key-copying scam.  A man in Boston booked my room, then on the first night of the reservation, an unknown woman came to the residence and was knocking on the door, apparently unaware that the door had a keycode entry. She did not have any of the check-in instructions and had only been sent on her phone a screenshot of the home’s address. Once in the residence, the woman began asking repeatedly to be given an actual key. After several minutes of explanations, she finally understood that there was no key but rather a keycode for the door which would expire at the end of the stay. This clearly upset her a bit and she became visible nervous. She then went outside and was on her cellphone for a minute before walking away towards the local bus stop. She did not return to the residence on the first night, but closed the door to the room and left the lights on as to give the appearance that someone was in the room. Upon checkout, the room was found to be undisturbed and it did not look like anyone had slept in the beds.

Another, more complicated scam, involved a guest who was trying to gather information about the property without actually booking.  Over the course of six months, I received  three pre-approval booking inquiries - they all said the same thing - mainly that a guest wanted to book the room for a large number of days, was "moving into an apartment" and needed the room right away. The first of these I agreed to, since I thought I had a good opportunity for a booking and there were no real warning signs. However, the pre-approvals would then expire, and then the guest began sending numerous messages through AirBNB asking for extensive details about the house. More messages followed, asking details about did I live alone in the house, who else would be there, and also they wanted the specific street address prior to booking so they could come and see the house before booking. When I explained this was against AirBNB policy, the messages suddenly stopped. Then, several weeks later - pre-approval request again, asking about the room, moving into an apartment, need it right away, etc, etc. An obvious script which was being repeated.

To a lesser degree, I have received numerous questionable messages about same day bookings.  Typically strange vague messages, speaking about emergencies and needing the room right away.  Of those I've approved,  20% of them never show up and of those that do about 30% don't stay the night.  Obviously something going on.

What scams have other hosts seen?

1 Best Answer
Robyn401
Level 3
Imperial Beach, CA

Yes, I’ve had many of those.  No history with AirBnB yet wanting to book an expensive property for months rather than monthly.  No photo and just joined.  And always Chinese.

But I’ve also had at least 4 who book, then cancel straight away.  So I wonder if this is a money washing thing.  If it is booked with a pre-paid credit card, there is no room to go back and recover damages from the guest. And money goes off and on  the card - from Chinese to US dollars - within 24 hrs.

I had one married couple, new to Air bnb, school teachers (or so they said), who said they had a young child for which our property (they said) was perfect,  who booked and cancelled within 24 hrs BECAUSE they could not get vacation time together.  Highly suspicious given that their vacation time is set in stone.

I don’t want to do instant book because I’ve been stuck with that before when I had a private booking (friend needing accommod) and could not get to the air bnb calendar in time to block out those dates.  Penalty to me.  Won’t do that again.  So now I only get enquiries from those who, for the most part,  just now joined air bnb.

Air BNB needs to screen these people better.  Just one ID is insuffient. What ID?. Address verified?  Last year these false applications were so bad that I removed the listing entirely for this property for most of the year, and then when those applications started up again, as described above, I had to remove the listing again or be accused by AirBnB of not responding.  I spent more time fending the applicants off or requesting further info and then having to justify that request, than I had time to attend to.

View Best Answer in original post

112 Replies 112

Second print was blocked for some reason. It was the WhatsApp conversation. As she/he told me, they book and rent for someone else. Normally chinese names, long stay, but they are all from Thailand. I had already 4 inquires like this one.

@Robyn401  that is not how money laundering works, and money refunded to a guest arrives in the same demomination it started in. ** just yet, so go ahead and book someone else, dont hold the days if they seem to be playing silly games. They probably will book somewhere else anyway ...messaging will break the ice as with anyone... H

**[Inappropriate content removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

I'm brand new to airbnb hosting and I seem to have a couple scammers today. Both no profile pic, just a first name, verified but no other stays and joined this month. One kept asking to communicate via texts because he was at work and could not watch airbnb. The other asked to view the property before booking because it would be a lengthy stay. Also curious as to what exactly they're trying to gain? The second one I get maybe potentially to see if the place can be robbed but the first one just asking to text? idk

same! I am not sure why they are doing the texting thing

I’ve been with Airbnb as a guest since 2017- texting back then was usually a better way of communicating and hosts and guests alike used to prefer it better. That was before it was a really big thing. However, since Airbnb has become so much more popular- as a new host I don’t think I would be doing this now. Communicating through Airbnb messaging is a better way to screen less suspicious guests. 

I had a potential renter do that too. Said he booked our place but was having a hard time creating his profile and would I text him so he could send us his pic. Not sure what the angle is, but it just didn't sit right with me. We ignored it and he retracted his booking.

I'm a new Airbnb host and I encountered quite a few suspicious inquiries and 1 guest seems like a prostitute. I found the best way to screened out the scammers is only accepting people with previous reviews and good reviews. All the suspicious people I encountered are all new users with simple name, no identify verification and mostly claimed to be ** . However I found their ** is not very intuitive and possibly translated from English. Now when I receives inquiries or booking without reviews, I directly inform them I do not accept guests with no previous reviews and ends the conversation. If some guests goes further asking more personal information or other irrelevant questions, I flag them right away. Usually the next day their account is removed by Airbnb. 

The one odd guest that I had was a single girl but booked for 2 people. At first, I thought maybe she entered the information incorrectly but then  I saw different men entered my unit at different time. Maybe because the girl noticed I had a camera door bell outside the door so there were only 3 men went in for the 3 nights stay. But since that I put it clear on my description that there is a camera door bell to provide additional safety measurement and try to keep away prostitutes from booking. In practice,  it's very hard to tell if they are prostitutes or not cause for instance my guest had many reviews and all 5 stars. All the hosts were pleased her cleanliness and all house rules were followed as well. Perhaps none of them had a camera outside the door like me. 

**[Content removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

** Remember, people use our places for many things.

**[Content removed inline with the Community Center Guidelines] - Please note that our Nondiscrimination Policy doesn’t allow for discrimination based on race, ethnicity, national origin, religious affiliation, disability, gender or sex. 

Robyn401
Level 3
Imperial Beach, CA

And the other scam is, though I’ve not experienced this with air bnn, is requiring an address for delivery..yeh.   Some years ago, someone stole our FedEx Account number - and since it was a pick up by Fed Ex with the account number written on the FedEx packet, it was easy to figure out who abused our trust with the account number.  It was linked to our credit card. But then, Fed Ex would not cancel our account number even though we proved over and over that we were not sending FedEx to deliver packages to a vacant office block!! Similarly, we had sold our house, and as we were backing out the driveway with our last truck load of possessions, a hand-delivery was made to our doorway.  I sat in the truck for a while to ponder if that might be the new buyer’s document (it was a document).  We had a very short street and knew all vehicles, but there was an odd one parked a little down the block and someone was sitting in the driver’s seat.  Our truck was out of view but I did see this guy walk up our driveway.  I jumped out and ran back to the house and asked what he was doing, and he said he had the wrong address.  I took the envelope that had been delivered.  It was a CHASE credit card in the name of not the new owner, nor us.  I called CHASE, and reported it, who said that this’person’ was verified as being an occupant there. That was never the case, nor anywhere in our neighborhood.  It was fraud.   The applicant/card owner had needed an address, and what better address to use than of a house that was sold (public record), or..say..a longer term rental on air bnb.

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

Anthony a scam is something that actually happens generally after booking. your first example sounds odd but may have been cleared up by speaking to the guest I suspect.If you allow short term bookings as in same night ,late and one night then you risk attracting those who use drugs or need a place for casual hookups or even prostitution or drig dealing , but they are bookings of convenience and possibly criminal activity but not scams. Scams by their  nature will involve you in hosting and consequent refunds. Most of the above can be avoided by communication with the guests ,asking questions , puting in house rules ,checking ids , checking previous reviews, putting in age restrictions , over 25 and all of the other hands on things hosts do .  every one willhave one or two ,some more subtle than other.   H

Laila141
Level 1
Vancouver, Canada

We just established a new property in Niagara Falls and also experiencing repeat first time users that are “working in Niagara” seeking long term rentals. They ask a lot of questions but don’t book. They repeatedly ask questions that are clearly available on property details and description. They are all of Chinese descent so I also assumed it’s a language issue. All young. Names include Chris, Dave, Tiance. They are also sharing their contact in messaging and prefer WhatsApp or texting. I changed my profile picture for now as I felt super uncomfortable about them learning too much about me. I’ve reported them to Airbnb however, I do wish Airbnb had a checklist like they do with house rules so new guest understand the rules and consequences of not following them.

Airbnb is more interested in making signups and the booking process as easy as possible for guests at the expense of hosts. There doesn’t seem to be any serious vetting process of people when getting on the platform. Then we as hosts end up with guests that have no respect for our homes, our house rules or the Herculean efforts we go through in owning and maintaining our properties.

Airbnb has to do better job in educating guests on the proper etiquette for being respectful guests.

I am very disappointed with the ease dishonest guests can exaggerate or falsify their experience in property in order to get discounted or free stays.

Israel Hernandez
Desert Hot Springs, California
- Super Host -
Thrown Under The Bus and Trampled By Airbnb

Thank you for this post, I just experienced what I think is the scam where the user will ask to rent property months in advance for an extended amount of time, then ask many questions, including to communicate on an external service. you just saved me a lot of pain, 

I think this is happening to me right now. 

This is happening to ME right now!   A potential renter with no history asking for multiple months, then asking me why she can’t see my responses in our Airbnb chat, asking me to use WhatsApp to text.   Very suspicious.