What can we do about a confined, desperate dog?

Stephen1478
Level 1
New York, NY

What can we do about a confined, desperate dog?

Hello,

New hosts, looking for advice. We checked in a guest yesterday. He has a dog - a large dog with a lot of energy. That's fine - we're a dog friendly accomodation and we cleared that beforehand. What we didn't know about was that our guest spent almost all of yesterday out of the house and left his dog tied up and confined in the guest room the whole night. He also left at 9 AM this morning and has left the dog confined again. 

He's taken the dog out twice so far, both for very short (five minute) walks.

This dog has been whining, screaming, and awoo-ing whenever it hears someone on the ground floor and for a long time after. I feel like I'm being made an accessory to dog abuse. Worse, we tried to contact him about the issue and he hasn't responded. He came back after I went to sleep last night, and left this morning before I could talk with him. He hasn't responded to any of the many messages we've sent about the problem in the meantime. 

Is there anything we should or can do here other than just tough it out and leave it for the review after? 

12 Replies 12
Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Stephen1478 

Thats not fair on the dog Im guessing thats how the damage happens the dog wants to go out, 

We are not pet friendly and this is one of the reasons we dont allow, it's not the dogs fault, 

We have a dog and I know he doesn't like being locked in the house, If we go out he likes being able to run around the garden. Here in Thailand it gets to hot inside.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Stephen1478 

Oh no. Poor dog. 

If the guest is still not responding to messages, it might be time to call him and just tell him politely, but frankly, that this is a real issue and why. Sure, you risk some sort of retaliation, e.g. a bad review, but you will have the right to respond and I think most people would not approve of his treatment of his pet. 

I hate when these things happen, but I think a lot of people do not realise how distressed their dog gets when locked up at home all day, let alone in a strange environment. That's not excuse here though as you have been messaging the guest about it.

There is a slim possibility (if you are only sending messages via Airbnb) that he simply hasn't turned on his notifications and doesn't even realise you've tried to contact him. More likely, he's just not a responsible person. 

Contact the guest immediately and tell them this is not acceptable. Inform the guest the dog is not to be left unattended in the house.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Bubba-Lee0 

@Stephen1478 has already tried to contact the guest and the guest is not responding...

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Stephen1478 

I'm really sorry to hear about this, it must be distressing for you as well as the poor dog.

As you've been unable to make contact with the guest about your concerns, it might be worth calling Airbnb Support to explain the situation, and to see if they can reach out to the guest on your behalf.

Please let us know how you get on.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Please keep calling the guest until you can get hold of him.

do you have house rules that pets shouldn't be left in the apartment by themselves? 

did he take the dog out with him when he returned. 

In your situation I would be asking Airbnb to cancel the booking if the guest doesn't agree to take the dog with them when leaving g your property 

Katherine882
Level 2
Salt Lake City, UT

I have house rules about leaving dogs unattended. Guests are required to answer the phone, come home and get the dog immediately if it is in distress. In response to this policy, some of my guests have used doggy daycare when they are not at home.

I take a lot of time to explain how it is normal for dogs to hear unexpected noises and cry or bark when unattended, even if they do fine at home. Guests understand this explanation. I also offer to dogsit for free. Nobody has accepted the offer, but it does show how serious I am about keeping dogs happy. I haven't had to involve airbnb or give any negative reviews about barking dogs.

Flavia202
Level 10
Kingston, Jamaica

He should be charged and locked up, @Stephen1478 . Inhumane behaviour. Poor dog.

Katja202
Level 10
Ruinen, Netherlands

Offer him to walk the dog. And discus the problem later. Tell him it is service. Yes it is extra work but if he loves his dog he will be gratefull. The dog is gratefull and you can kill every problem with a lot off kindness. Perhaps he feels very guilty if you offer him to walk the dog. Than tou are half way to solve the problem and you won’t get a bad review but a top one. But i should call him not message him. Just like Laura suggested.

Groetjes Katja
Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Stephen1478  Tell him that the dog can't be left alone for more than X hours, and if he is not able to deal with this, you will shorten his stay and refund his money.  I would probably also report him for animal abuse to his home town authorities.

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Stephen1478 

I was just thinking about your situation, and I wondered what happened in the end.

Feel free to update us if you have time.  Do you think you'll change anything about the rules at your listing after this experience?

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Laura1476
Level 5
Baltimore, MD

I just saw this thread and wanted to give you a shout-out, @Stephen1478, for looking out for the well-being of ALL of your guests, including the four-legged ones who are at the mercy of such a thoughtless “owner”. If your guest is this neglectful with his dog, I can’t imagine him treating you or your home with respect either.

If it were me, I would report him to the authorities in his hometown. Or let the dog “run away” to your nearest shelter, where he or she can be adopted to a better person or family. 
Thank you for being considerate of *everyone’s* safety and well-being. ❤️