What to do when guest shows up with more people than reserved?

Saskia121
Level 1
State of Minas Gerais, Brazil

What to do when guest shows up with more people than reserved?

My house accommodates 6 people and I recently had a guest who had reserved for 4 adults and 1 infant. On the second day I noticed that there were two more adults and a child of over 2 years staying at the house. The guest never communicated that there would be more people staying than what he had made the reservation for.  Now there was a total of six adults, one child over two and an infant. For reservations of more than two people I charge extra per person. As I live on the property close by the house I rent and this was a reservation of 11 days I was unsure of how to react as I did not want to create an uncomfortable or unpleasant experience: 

1). Should I immediately address the guest who made the reservation and tell him to update the reservation through Airbnb for the extra guests? Or tell him that I will be updating the reservation to reflect the actual number of guests?

2). Wait till the last day of the reservation to tell him he needs to pay for the days the extra guests stayed?

3). Charge him after he has checked out through the resolution center?

4 Replies 4
Normen0
Level 10
Canada

I would first address the issue politely through AIRBNB messaging.  Bring it up as a

“I noticed your plans changed and additional people are staying in the unit. Although my my policy allows for a maximum of 6 persons, the additional child is not an issue.  Would you like to update your reservation to six people or would you rather I do it for ease and then you will just have to accept it?
I understand how initial plans change.  It’s very important to have the booking accurate to ensure all guests are covered under AIRBNB liability insurance.

Please let me know ASAP if you will make the necessary change or if you prefer I do it.
Thank you in advance, “

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Saskia121  Address it right away. You will almost never have a chance of getting paid after the guest leaves or if you wait until check-out day. 

Philipp2171
Level 1
Zurich, Switzerland

Hi Saskia121

I had a similar situation. My problem is that I was living further away and only had someone cleaning the appartment close by. I did the following:
1/ asked the customer to adapt in the portal > no reaction
2/ contacted Airbnb Support > they called him, he did not pick it up

3/ asked customer to leave appt or I will come with police > he said I am not allowed to do so as there must be a bug in the Airbnb portal, since to him it shows the right number of people
4/ I contacted Airbnb Support > they told me not to worry, since I am covered by Aircover for hosts and I should open the case once the customer left
5/ I opened the case and was informed it is only about physical damage. After multiple turns between the different teams it became clear that you are not covered for this, neither for late checkout, which he also did.

So my conclusion for next time is that even it is in the middle of the night and they come with small kids, don't let them in the apartment in the first place. To get them out or to get refunded is nearly impossible. 
The lesson for Airbnb Support and Aircover is the following. They don't put a stake in the ground for the host and it is not a real insurance. They just talk to people to make them be understood and feel good. 

Bes175
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

As Phillip told you:  "So my conclusion for next time is that even it is in the middle of the night and they come with small kids, don't let them in the apartment in the first place. To get them out or to get refunded is nearly impossible." [i.e you will spin around and wont be able to solve much now]

This might not be what you want to hear...or even sounds appeasement; but Saskia even living close by you allowed this to happen and now are faced with a fait accompli [sic] 

1. On one hand people acting this way, as a rule as not most trusted sort or to base anything on them [future wise]

2. On the other, exactly these types, will 'make things up' and as as result you will be fighting on many fronts with Airbnb, [asking for extra money, then justifying 'wrongs' the guests might accuse you.

What gives.

If it was me, I 'would let it go' But in a FIRM WAY, tell them in no uncertain terms [fight part] what they did wrong, and say it LIKE YOU MEAN IT. Then, offer some leniency [peace] and 'for sake of little children' will allow them to stay THIS TIME. [you might start wanting more money and end up losing Superhost status and few other troubles]

If they are good, bake them some biscuits the day the leave [be around at that time and v. visible near by] if they are a mess...then escalate as much as you can..and see when it ends. However you see it and it ends, dont blame Self; it happens.