Why on earth is Airbnb asking guests to rate us on how flexible we are about check in?

Answered!
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Why on earth is Airbnb asking guests to rate us on how flexible we are about check in?

I am sure there are many other hosts like me who have experienced issues with getting guests to agree to an arrival time within the check in window. I have lost count of how many times guests have asked me to check in much earlier, and some times much later, even though my window is 3pm-9pm, so pretty standard for an Airbnb. I've had to make a real point of it in my house rules.

So, it really infuriates me that Airbnb is now asking guests if the host was flexible about check in as part of the review process. This is going to give guests the impression that the host SHOULD have been more flexible or offered to let them check in at any time (regardless of whether the previous guests had checked out or not or the time it takes to clean and turnover the listing - a lot of guests simply never consider these points) and may well impact the star rating they leave not only for check in, but overall. It might also encourage them to harass the next host about check in time because they will now think it's something they are entitled to.

Airbnb needs to remove this from the review process ASAP.

1 Best Answer
Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Huma0,

In our guest communication we stressed that we do not have front desk staff and the guest must tell us an estimated time arrival to ensure that someone is available to check them in, and avoid delays for them accessing their rental after a long journey.  This last part seems to really resonate with guests, because it poses a potential inconvenience to them.  We tell guests that we have to wait until 24 hours before arrival to confirm if an early check-in request can be accommodated, but will allow luggage drop-off.  Under certain circumstances we do charge a fee for the extra time that's been added onto the stay.

To me, this is another step that Airbnb with little regard for home-shares, because it ignores  hosts who may have more than one guest at the same location.  Early check-ins and late checkouts can disturb and be disruptive to existing guests.

View Best Answer in original post

77 Replies 77
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I've always got these kinds of requests from time to time and I've always been firm about needing a specific time (or at least a reasonably small window of time) for check in. I've even cancelled guests who failed to give me a time, but you are right, now we have to worry about coming across as inflexible.

Yesterday, I accepted a booking request (first time in ages I got one without red flags and with good communication). She said she would check in between 3 and 5pm. That might be fine for some hosts, but it's still too vague for me as I need to schedule my working day around it. So, I asked her to give me a more specific time once she had a clearer idea of her plans. For the first time though, I felt nervous doing it and found myself rewording that request several times!

The guest has left really lovely reviews for her previous hosts, which was one of the reasons I accepted her booking. However, after I did so, I noticed that one host had mentioned in her response to the review that the guest had left 4* for check in and didn't understand why. This wouldn't normally set alarm bells ringing, but now I'm concerned that asking for a specific time is going to affect my ratings.

@Gillian166

Robbie54
Level 10
North Runcton, United Kingdom

@Gillian166anytime I get asked for an early check in I state that due to the now extensive covid cleaning protocol an early check in is not possible at this time 👍

Same goes for anyone that wants a late departure.

Abi010
Level 5
England, United Kingdom

I love that tactics,  I think I will be using that as well. 

The abb I stayed at recently had check out instructions that stated “ check out is at 11:00 , you may overlap with our cleaning service at that time” I thought is was a brilliant way of deterring anyone who might have considered lingering.

I cant see from the guest side but are airbnb telling guest to ask the host to be flexible? I had a guest check in the other day and straight away he ask can they check out later, it's never happened before strange how he just came out with it.

As most of our guest are International tourist and fly here I try to be flexible so they can come straight from the airport.

I always say "Subject to Availability"

I know I have a guest coming at the end of this month who will arrive gone midnight he paid for that day,

I remember getting a bad review from a fellow Super host because I wouldn't let them check in at 6 am,

I get the feeling other host will be the ones to abuse this.

@Gillian166

Robin129
Level 10
Belle, WV

Well, this might be a nightmare. My times are firm because I host in my home, and we get up at 4 each morning and need to be in bed by 9 each evening. That means we need to have guests settled NLT 7 to allow for tromping up the stairs with cases, trips to the bathroom, coming in from dinner, etc. So my check in window is FIRM at 3-6 pm.

---> That's how I look at most guests, like cousins. And you know, some of those cousins are kooks.
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Yes, of course, we all have our own set of circumstances that determine what check in window we can offer. It is clearly stated on the listing, so guests are aware of this before they book and are not forced to book if it doesn't suit them. But now we must be judged on how flexible we are about it?

Basically, by using this tactic, Airbnb is encouraging every guest who bothers to leave a review to question our check in times. What is the point of letting us choose check in times if Airbnb then renders that meaningless?

What is next? How about we are also judged on how flexible we will be about guests following our other house rules, like smoking, pets, extra guests etc? Why not ask guests, "Was the host flexible about how many people/pets stayed?" "What the host flexible about letting you make as much noise as you wanted or leave as much mess as you wanted?"

@Robin129

Ruth413
Level 10
Moreton, United Kingdom

I know it is totally crazy. Like you I have had just had a request to book and all it said was

"Will be travelling from Exeter and expect to be with you at 9pm"

That is 1 hour past the end of my check-in window. It wasn't even a request for a late check-in, I was just told they were going to be late !

Because of the new flexibility terms for the review with check-in. It took me 1/2 hr to find the right wording and replied mentioning my check-in times, but said that we always try and help whenever possible, so it would be o.k. if he can update me on the day. Friday evening is notorious for traffic !

I asked him to let me know if he was o.k. with that and if so, I will accept his booking. He hasn't responded, so I will wait and see if he does.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Exactly. I think that I have a reasonable check in window from 3-9pm. If I can check a guest in earlier, e.g. if no one else needs to check out so I have ample time to turnover the room and I don't have conflicting work commitments, then I will offer it, but it's not something I would offer as standard as that would make hosting untenable for me.

Also, I found in the past that the more flexible I was about check in times, the more guests took the "Michael", i.e. messed me around (sometimes a lot). So, my hosting experience has taught me to be crystal clear about it in the first place and then be flexible when I can, not the other way around.

Now, I feel that if we do not "display" some form of extra flexibility, we may be rated down. It's wholly unfair. Airbnb surely know that this is deeply problematic for many hosts, but I guess they don't care. I am yet to see any kind of response from the moderators/Airbnb about this.

@Ruth413

Ruth413
Level 10
Moreton, United Kingdom

Sadly I think the Mods have a hell of a time keeping up with all the updates and don't always have the answers because they don't actually know them. Any questions I have specifically asked lately have been ignored which is sad, a sorry we don't know that would be better than silence in my opinion.

My check-in times were set because I use to have to get up at 4am to get to work, the pandemic took that work away but I am still an early night and early morning person. I also figure that we have a lot of guests travelling from London at weekends and the traffic is notorious on a Friday evening so have found guests normally arrive later anyway but if my check in was any later, they would aim for that and then be even later. Saying that my check in starts reasonably early so if people want to make the most of their stay they can spend the best part of an afternoon here.

The worse one I had was a late arrival request of 10pm. We agreed to it thinking o.k., it could possibly be 11pm. They arrived at 2am in the morning ! It wasn't until later I found out that one of the guests had been working the children in need hotline that night. There was absolutely no way they would get here at 10pm, so felt rather put out by that one.

Well I will have my first review to do after the updates next week, so will be able to find out somethings myself and will keep you updated if anything new pops up, the guests have already changed their eta twice going from arriving at a later time, to an early arrival but that I can cope with and hopefully I will smash the flexibility question !

@Huma0

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Tried to respond but system still deleting text when I try to post...

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hello @Ruth413 ,

I went through your comment and felt sorry that you're not satisfied with the answers we are giving. From our side , we make sure to hear the feedback plus issues faced by the members . But it can also take some time to get the right information from product owners/program managers and to make sure it is appropriate and factually correct to post on the forum. 

We're happy to announce the Month of Celebration!

Can’t find what you’re searching for? start a conversation

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Ruth413
Level 10
Moreton, United Kingdom

@Bhumika   Thanks for your reply, but I think you might have misunderstood what I was saying.   

I was actually saying that you won't always have the answers, as you don't always know them.  Not that I was dissatisfied by the answers !

All I was saying would be any reply (not answer), would be better than ignoring the questions.  It doesn't matter if a mod says we will look into it, or even that we can't answer that because (a reason why).  Silence isn't always golden.  

Hope that explains things a bit better.  

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hello @Ruth413 ,

Thank you for elaborating on your thoughts. I do agree silence is not always golden. We as moderators make sure that we respond to given suggestions/issues (by even acknowledging that we do not know a certain thing, and we would get back to them). The crux would be that we pay attention to our members and what they have to say.😆 Thanks again for your feedback on our functioning, and we will make sure to improve further. 

We're happy to announce the Month of Celebration!

Can’t find what you’re searching for? start a conversation

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Ruth413
Level 10
Moreton, United Kingdom

@Huma0   Well I got a 5* overall but wait for it !  A 4* for check in.  Which I must admit has never happened before !  They did mention in their review that they had no phone signal, so found it difficult to find.  They didn't mention though that I sent them detailed directions and instructions on how to find us a week beforehand, which they had forgotten about or lost and no mention about how flexible I had been after they changed there check-in time 3x. 

They did give me an extra tick for being peaceful and beautiful surroundings 🙂

I also found it surprising when I did my review of them, that there were no extra questions regarding the guests.  It was just the same old review system.  Somewhere I am sure I read that there was going to be a more detailed review system for the hosts to rate the guests ?   

On to next guests now and after -8C last night, the water pipes have frozen underground.  Oh joy !