Why on earth is Airbnb asking guests to rate us on how flexible we are about check in?

Answered!
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Why on earth is Airbnb asking guests to rate us on how flexible we are about check in?

I am sure there are many other hosts like me who have experienced issues with getting guests to agree to an arrival time within the check in window. I have lost count of how many times guests have asked me to check in much earlier, and some times much later, even though my window is 3pm-9pm, so pretty standard for an Airbnb. I've had to make a real point of it in my house rules.

So, it really infuriates me that Airbnb is now asking guests if the host was flexible about check in as part of the review process. This is going to give guests the impression that the host SHOULD have been more flexible or offered to let them check in at any time (regardless of whether the previous guests had checked out or not or the time it takes to clean and turnover the listing - a lot of guests simply never consider these points) and may well impact the star rating they leave not only for check in, but overall. It might also encourage them to harass the next host about check in time because they will now think it's something they are entitled to.

Airbnb needs to remove this from the review process ASAP.

1 Best Answer
Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Huma0,

In our guest communication we stressed that we do not have front desk staff and the guest must tell us an estimated time arrival to ensure that someone is available to check them in, and avoid delays for them accessing their rental after a long journey.  This last part seems to really resonate with guests, because it poses a potential inconvenience to them.  We tell guests that we have to wait until 24 hours before arrival to confirm if an early check-in request can be accommodated, but will allow luggage drop-off.  Under certain circumstances we do charge a fee for the extra time that's been added onto the stay.

To me, this is another step that Airbnb with little regard for home-shares, because it ignores  hosts who may have more than one guest at the same location.  Early check-ins and late checkouts can disturb and be disruptive to existing guests.

View Best Answer in original post

77 Replies 77
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Actually @Mark116 that whole 'extremely clean', 'extremely accurate' etc. wording isn't new either.

See: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Community-Cafe/Review-Process-as-a-Guest-August-2022/m-p/1677675...

It was also already there when I last stayed as a guest this summer.

Yes, I'm waiting for an entrepreneurial couple to start a new platform to compete with Airbnb. Tired of the guest-centric attitude and could-care-less actions impacting hard-working superhosts. 

@Mark116  I wonder if this is going to hurt superhost status, if guests now think 4* is "good". 

@Huma0 

I did not know that we could not say we would not host a guest again, we have not had a guest from ABB to review since this latest update. I am here doing homework to find out about it now! We have used that check box to hopefully not see certain guests again, with out writing it out in a review. Really terrible guests we will put in the review, "we would not host this person again". Like the guy who sneaked in a dog and did not want to pay the fee. But, the couple who had a fight here just recently, the woman was nice, guy was a jerk, and I did not want to say anything about the domestic troubles. Now, I would have to say that they were loud and I would not have them back in the review where they will see it. 😞

I have not been getting very many guests from ABB lately, so have not been on here very much. The local campaign I have been on -- cards in local hospital and nursing school, and neighborhood bulletin boards and neighbors families visiting for the holidays, has been about 1/2 of our guests lately.

Ted & Chris
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Ted307 

I am so glad that your direct marketing has been paying off. That's great news!

Yes, I also find it super annoying that they have taken away the 'would not host again' option. There are certain things we don't want to spell out in the reviews. That doesn't always mean the host is being dishonest and not warning others, but some things are better left unsaid.

I once hosted a couple, who were actually exes, not an existing couple. I didn't even know initially that the two would be staying as the lady booked for herself and later asked if her 'friend' could join her.

Turns out they were having a massive crisis and, after a tense two or three days, it came to a head and may, or may not, have involved violence. The lady left, the guy (who was not the booking guest) stayed, and the whole thing was deeply uncomfortable for me and also a bit awkward for other guests.

Am I supposed to go into detail about that in the review, or even mention in a vague way that they were having a relationship breakdown? Probably, either guest would have been fine on their own or in different circumstances, but I wouldn't want that experience again.

@Huma0 

The review changes sound like "a feature, not a bug" -- ABB wants to keep us hosts guessing, always competing with each other, always checking to see if our rate should be lower, wondering how to get a good review.

They are offering us $720.00 to recruit new hosts, in our market with an ABB on every block. More hosts is good for "the platform" meaning the corp, & the renters, but not good for us as hosts. It is working, profits are up for ABB.

Co-Founder and CEO Brian Chesky said: 

“The third quarter of 2022 demonstrates we continue to drive growth and profitability at scale. Guest demand on Airbnb remains strong, our Host community continues to grow, and this was our most profitable quarter ever.”

https://news.airbnb.com/airbnb-third-quarter-2022-financial-results/

Chris

Ted & Chris
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Yes, I totally believe that's Airbnb's intention with these changes and it does seem that recruiting more hosts is the number one priority at the moment. Certainly, that is what the Winter Release was heavily focused on. It's definitely not good news for the long-standing, hard-working hosts who have already suffered a great deal due to the Summer Release.

However, I am skeptical about how well things are working for Airbnb right now. While Brian Chesky would have us believe that, not everyone seems convinced as, from what I understand, the share price continues to drop, and not by an insignificant amount.

@Ted307

Share prices are down for all stocks by ~20% but ABB is down aprox. 50%. Travel is not popular in a recession. I have enough invested in ABB without also holding it's stock!

When people are needing more income, ABB gets more hosts. Cheskkey has mentioned in other places that they are keeping costs low since the pandemic layoff of CS reps.

I have noticed many vacation rentals in my area are on Craig's List. I am not the only one looking for more local business! We are a long time vacation destination and local Real Estate offices still do short term rentals, too. But, ABB has a huge head-start in the online rental arena, so I expect they are here to stay.

@Huma0

Ted & Chris
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

But if travel is not popular in a recession, then how come Airbnb are reported doing so well? Are you saying it's because they have kept profits high simply by keeping overheads low?

I suspect they have also been inching up guest fees...

@Ted307

The stock market is always more concerned with the future, and historically travel does not do well in a recession, which is expected for next year. They do keep the overhead low, look at all the complaints here about CS.

There is a new post on here from our moderator about a deal ABB have made with apartment owners to have renters be able to host, here come more hosts with pools and lots of rooms.

I have seen articles (Air DNA) about the Average Daily Rate being down, along with occupancy rates for hosts. This is actually good for the corporate bottom line, low prices = more renters using ABB = more fees. There will be hosts with high costs who will quit the platform, but those renters in the new apartments need the money and will increase the total number of hosts on ABB.

@Huma0

Ted & Chris
Robbie54
Level 10
North Runcton, United Kingdom

"But if travel is not popular in a recession, then how come Airbnb are reported doing so well?"

One word, staycation.

We have to remember there will still be plenty of people who can afford get aways reasonably local to them, I get them more often than not.

@Humao @Ted307

Exactly! The stock price reflects the stock Market expectation of less travel earnings. But, that does not mean that ABB, or individual hosts, will not do fine in a rescission. An affordable luxury, like a dinner out, a quick weekend getaway, a Coke, could even do better during an economic slowdown. Since we already depend on ABB for enough, I do not own the stock. At a certain price, others could decide it is a buy, just like KO or PEP is often a buy in a downturn.

People have been coming to our mountains for over 100 years to get away from the heat and I expect that not to change, in spite of what ABB might do.

@Robbie54@Huma0

Ted & Chris
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Yes, likewise, I don't think people will stop coming to London! They have been flocking here from all over the country or all over the world for decades/centuries. I doubt that will stop.

On the contrary, I have noticed in the past year a huge increase in the interest I am getting from American guests for long term stays in London. I also read a Forbes (I think it was) article a few months ago, which I am sure I mentioned to you before, that said more American were travelling abroad than before and one of the top five international destinations was London. Plus, the whole digital nomad thing seems to be on the rise in the USA.

I have certainly noticed this in terms of my bookings. Since I switched entirely to long term stays, I only got the occasional American guest. In the past year, they make up almost half of my guests.

@Ted307

The exchange rate is quite good right now! I wish we could visit London again! Retired people can take longer and enjoy the trip more.

Ted & Chris
Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Huma0  just got this message with a booking today

"Would love to check in on the Sunday (4th during the day) and check out Wednesday (7th during the day) please let me know if this works!"

Having just booked a place the check-in times is clearly displayed in the listing AND in the reservation confirmation. I have not responded to this guest, I shouldn't have to, but now I have the added fear of being labelled "inflexible" if I don't comply with their request?  Yes, I forsee some grumpy hosts regarding this one!