Angela431
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Complaints from neighbors

Hello

I have been hosting only for two months, and it's going really well.

I am renting the entire house with 6 bedrooms, so most of my guests are big group and some of my guests have been too loud at night and I have been getting complaints from neighbors.

I have talked to the neighbors, explained what I'm doing with my house, and apologized about noise problem.

After that I interview my guests before accepting any reservations, and talk to my guests about noise issues during their stay as well.

However, my neighbors sent me a letter saying that they oppose to use of the house as Airbnb because it destabilize the neighborhood. Most of my neighbors are seniors who lived there for a long time and very very quiet. They simply don't want any strangers walking down the streets and making noise.

The neighbors report my house to municipal officials, but I'm not doing anything illegal here.

How can I resolve this? I got a call from municipal officer about the report, and they just warned me. But what if they keep reporting my house then what happens next? Can they shut down my business?

Please share your experience.

Thank you

Jennifer2855
Level 2
Rochester, NY

I came across this forum and really would like some advice or suggestions. I have an airbnb in upstate NY on a lake. We purchased this home with the intention of using it as a vacation home when we can and an airbnb when we aren't using the home. We moved in, in January and met our neighbors. They were nice and we all even had a few beers with them from time to time. We were very honest with our intentions of the property and provided our direct neighbors with all of our contact information (including emails) in the event they had any issues, questions or concerns. We live full time roughly 1 hr away but also have close friends within 10minutes if any major issues arise and we can't get their quick enough. Ok so fast forward to May of this year, mind you we have lived here since January so that is roughly 5 months or so and we hadn't had any calls, emails or even personal approaches from our neighbors regarding any issues. I received a call from my landscaper whom we hired to mow our lawn while we are gone and he indicated that my neighbor screamed at him to get off her property. I was beyond embarrassed and apologized to my landscaper. I contacted my neighbor and apologized that we were not under the impression that, that was her property and by no means were trying to invade her space. If you saw the property you too would have assumed it was ours. The old codes allowed homes to be built on the property so I would assume that there would be an easement to allow for maintenance. So sometime in May close to mothers day we came up to the lake for the weekend (just our family) and found that a large fence had been placed on the side of our house with maybe 4-6" from the house itself. You can not fit through the opening and on the other side of the house there was a fence prior to us even purchasing the home. We called the town and let them know of the situation and they were fined. Now they are requesting an interpretation of the fence as they are calling it a "trellis". So now we are fighting this with the town and have attorneys involved as we speak. I understand that my neighbors don't want guests walking on that side of the lot and I am more than ok with that, I have even offered to put up gates with locks on our side to prevent our guests from accessing the side lots. What I am upset about is our neighbor is preventing us from being able to maintain our property in the future should an issue arise. We have even purchased noise detectors to notify us if our guests are being too loud outside and inside after our dedicated quiet hours, set up cameras in various spots to monitor the area (these are all out by the way) So what I am saying is there are good hosts and bad hosts. There are good guests and there are bad guests. I just wish people would communicate and talk things through because there are solutions to situations. I am even more upset that they are painting us as if we are degenerate neighbors who are throwing raggers every night when in fact they have actually waved and said hello to our guests. 

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Jennifer2855 

Your neighbor problems are regrettable and undoubtedly a great source of distress for all concerned.

This illustrates why I choose not to have any neighbors within a half mile and even that feels a little close sometimes.

I guess you already know precisely where your property lines are and if your house was built right on the line that is most unfortunate.

I don’t see how you can prevent your neighbors from building anything they want on their side of the line unless it somehow damages or threatens to damage your property.

You might consider putting a layer of plastic down in the narrow space between your house and the fence and covering it with gravel or mulch so it doesn’t have to be mowed.

You will still have a problem if you need to wash, paint or repair the siding in that area though.

I think I would be considering selling the house and letting someone else deal with it.

@Brian2036 I should have mentioned that according to our town codes that you can't place anything within 12" at a minimum of the property line without a permit and as long as it doesn't cause detriment to the other property. Allowing them to keep this there will prevent us from EVER maintenance the property and letting it crumble which the town can't. If the town allows them to keep then I will take it to court and fight for a maintenance easement which I will most likely be granted, it will cost me but at the end of the day I can save a property. All in all they just don't want renters next door without any reasoning or issues. So I will continue to fight it and selling is not an option at the moment. 

@Jennifer2855 

12” is still too close, really. It sounds like you should be able to have at least enough space to get a lawnmower through.

The legal system is a really poor way to do things; slow, expensive and difficult.

I don’t suppose they would be willing to sell you an eight-foot wide strip.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the real agenda is to put you out of business. 

I’m afraid we’re going to be seeing a lot of opposition to STRs anyway and a lot of it is being funded by the hotel lobby.

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Angela431 your post suggests the problem is guests being too loud at night.

If that is the only problem, why not install a sound meter and then you will know if it is the neighbours or the guests being unreasonable. You can tell the neighbours you are going to monitor sound levels and go from there.

@Angela431 no we asked our other neighbors if our guests were loud and they actually said they were great and even had beers with them. Turns out the "bad" neighbors are just grumpy people whom are entitled and think they own the entire street. I did some digging and found out that their son is married to the town supervisors daughter, their other son works for the town's municipality and they are friends with the entire town board. So it appears I will be up against a lot of nepotism. We aren't doing anything wrong and neither are our guests. I will look into the sound meter though as another check and balance to what I am already doing. Do you have one in mind that works well? Thank you!