Jamie69
Level 7
Wheat Ridge, CO

Are hair dryer and iron important?

I don't currently have a hair dryer nor iron and ironing board available for my guests.

They're inexpensive items, so I could provide them pretty easily, though I'd have to figure out a place to store them.

I did have a guest inquiry a few days ago asking if there was an iron available. I responded to the inquiry that I did not have an iron but that I have been meaning to get one and promised the guest that I would have one for his stay. He asked a few more questions, then never booked the room.

So... I'm just curious if it's worth the expense to provide these items?

Jamie

Bruce43
Level 10
Kfar Blum, Israel

a hair dryer and iron seem weird so i put in a iron and a low cost hair dryer in the closet for business traveliers.

i have been renting out my apt and nobody ever opened the 2 boxes.

never have i seen a iron in a hotel.

There have been Iron's in 100% of the hotels I've ever stayed in. Please for the love of god people, start providing irons for your guests to use. 

Im really embarrassed but i like asking about an iron because I am curious about just how hot they get. is that ok?

@Bruce43 wrote:

a hair dryer and iron seem weird so i put in a iron and a low cost hair dryer in the closet for business traveliers.

i have been renting out my apt and nobody ever opened the 2 boxes.

never have i seen a iron in a hotel.

nice sharing!!

I guess it depends on the location. In the U.S. it very common and pretty much expected that there will be an iron in your hotel room. A mini fridge is also pretty standard.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Jamie69

I think you have answered your own question - a hairdryer and iron don't cost that much but take up lots of room, particularly if you are only bringing in hand luggage.

My guests mainly use the hairdryer but I have had some requests to use the iron. 

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Jamie69

About 95% of my female guests use the dryer.

Don't have room for iron/ironing board in the room so don't offer it, and have never been asked.

Richard1
Level 7
Lenox, MA

A hair dryer & iron are inexpensive and having them in your property illustrate that you have thought of the little things that just may save the day for a guest.  Many of my guests are visiting the area for a wedding or other formal event and an iron will help de-wrinkle their clothes from their suitcase.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

I'm always very grateful for an iron when I travel, @Jamie69. Get the sort that shuts off automatically. Just thinking of saving a future "how do I claim for burn marks" forum post... 🙂

@Jamie69  We hung up the guest hair dryer and it gets lots of use.  I also let guests use our iron and ironing board if they ask.  The more amenities the better as far as I am concerned.  

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jamie69

Yes, a hairdryer is useful and about 30% of our guests use it - they also appreciate not having to bring one with them if htey are just coming for the weekend with hand luggage. Less so an iron - think we have only ever been asked once if someone can use one.

Andrew157
Level 10
Windermere, United Kingdom

Well we are having work done in our house and there is a lot of dust so for tyhe last two groups of guests I have ironed all the bedding for the super king bed in the apartment. So even if the guests don't use the iron the hosts might

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Jamie69

ikea has a small ironing board (JÄLL) which you put on the table when in use or fold and hang in the closet. It costs 5€, very cheap.

We have an iron and cheap hair dryer (10€) and our guest use them.

@Jamie69 Agree with @Elaine-and-Duane0 the more amenities the better.  In this case, a hair dryer is a basic necessity.  Women will appreciate it.  We store it underneath the bathroom sink cabinet.  As for the iron/iron board, it's not used as much as a hair dryer but it's still nice to have it available for guests when they do need it.  We store it in the closet.

I use to travel for work a lot and I like not having to pack a hair dryer or when an outfit gets wrinkled, I can take care of it because there's an iron/board. 

As you said, cost for these items are not that expensive and it will add to a great experience/comfort for your guests.

Phuong