Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Get guests you can trust— every time

Hello everyone,

I hope you are having a good day.

I wanted to let you know that we have updated the booking process to make sure you don’t have to host repeat guests if you don’t want to. Now, anytime you give a guest 3 stars or less, that guest will not be able to instantly book any of your spaces, even if you have Instant Book turned on.

Find out more in our Help Center.

What do you think about these changes? We’d love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Probably the best you could do is the big thumbs down, AirBnB does not allow anonymous reviews for very good reasons.

David

You could also copy and paste your message above into the box labeled "anything else you want to tell airbnb about this guest" at the end of the host review process.

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Lizzie: Imho, the only  way to improve the system of ratings and also safety of hosts is to start showing the ratings of guests. I am aware that airbnb is into boosting the bookings, and I guess that many hosts have never declined a request from a potential guest. But, on the other hand, guests feel unpunishable in what they do during their stays. A Super Guest status would do the trick.

Edit: Many guests also leave unfair reviews. In my case - a guest insisted on check-in around 7-8 in the morning, when explained that other guests would be at that time left a 3-star review that he had a problem while checking in. Conclusion - the system is faulty if something like that is possible. The CC does nothing in such cases, even if the host files a complaint.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

@Marzena4  Be sure to click on PUBLIC RESPONSE under that 3 Star review and give the explanation as to why you were unable to accommodate their SPECIAL request of an early checkin.  Guests using lap tops and computers, will see your public response to that review and will understand that the former guests was being unreasonable and selfish to think they can just show up whenever they please, and not thinking perhaps there might be another guests.  I am happy to help you write that PUBLIC RESPONSE....I have done it a few times for other hosts.  And also, after you write it, be sure to copy and paste that response directly to your guests INBOX so they can see how you chose to respond to their concerns about check in difficulties.  These guests drive me crazy and need to be educated and reminded of their lack of manners.

Next time, that unreasonable guests who wrote 3 Star review can approach a hotel instead and pay the early check in fee which in Hawaii is now $75 minimum to get in around 10am. (versus the 3pm or 4pm check in time clearly noted on their website).  

I offer an early check in if the guests books in advance, (I block the night before)  but they will be paying a fee as well.  Why not, the hotels do!   The advantage is, I only charge $50 and they can check in at 7am.   My guests just love that.  Do I lose out on a full nights rate from another potentail guests?  Yep, you bet I do, but its more important to me to take care of the person who reached out to me FIRST to ask for that early check in.  (Its normally $105 for a couple)  So WIN WIN for my guests. 

But if I had had THAT GUESTS that you had, he would have found himself staying somewhere else based on what you are telling me because there is no acceptance of rudeness that will be entering my home no matter what time it is. 

Just curious....what exactly was HIS response to your reply when you told him that an early check in was not possible as you were already hosting another guests?   Can you please share that with us?  You can copy and paste, just be sure to edit his face/name as that's not allowed on the CC.  Thanks.

EDITED:  I can't find this 3 Star review he wrote that you are upset about....did it get removed?  

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

@Marzena4   I also wanted to add that the CC is not really the place for situations or incidents to be handled or resolved.  Do not confuse the CC with the actual AIRBNB customer service.   Make sense? 

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

@Momi0: Kudos you, as a host, get the point that some guests just need to be educated. Just one thing, before I go on: I am NOT trying to solve ANY problems here, I know what CC is about. In no one single word was I trying to ask anyone here to resolve any issues with my guests. So I am confused - what exactly did you mean?

Edit: @Momi0: it was a typo - I meant CS - I wrote "filed a complaint". Everybody knows that you don't file complaints in CC

As for the 3* review (please tell me why the guest, giving such a review, made it a 3* one staying just one night - another host started a heated debate on my responses in another place in CC):

"XXXXXX (the guest)
Jun 12 - Jun 13 ·
Close to Station, Market Sq & Kazimierz (Jewish Q)
Public feedback
The room provided is clean and large. The bathroom facilities are clean and the location of the apartment is located in the centre of the city."

Public response (mine)
"As for your stated (in the private comment and low score for me) problems with the checkin, I would like to clarify the following: I agreed to check in your baggage at 6:45 (my usual checkin time is 14.00), which was purely a sign of good will; you failed to appear on time, and what's more, you assumed that it would be a full checkin, despite the fact that there were the previous guests at that time. Guests like you will make hosts less cooperative in the future"

And now private feedback (the only clue to the poor rating the guest left):
Private feedback
 (This is just for you. It won’t appear on your listing or profile.)
"Thank you for the clean room and good location."
Private check-in feedback
Your guest had some issues with the check-in process: entering the home.
Private communication feedback
Your guest had some difficulty communicating with you at this part of their trip: check-in arrangements.

And now? I think that it's enough to prove how unreasonable some guests are. Ratings for guests as well.

@Marzena4   ---------> YOUR WORDS. -------------> Conclusion - the system is faulty if something like that is possible. The CC does nothing in such cases, even if the host files a complaint.  

So to answer your question, since this is what YOU wrote, this is why I addressed it in my reply that the CC is not the place to have something done.  Perhaps you wrote it to mean something else, but that's what I understood. 

But yes, I get it now, after getting your reply, that you meant CS.....customer service.  But to be fair, many many many many hosts file complaints in the CC....last count was 865,921 posts written most starting with, "Hey Airbnb, can you please fix this guests problem?"  or this one..."Airbnb, why haven't you paid me yet?" and oh wait, here's one more that pops up alot...."Airbnb, my guests wrote a review and its not fair!"

I'm sure now you can understand why I understood it the way I did because you did write CC. 

haha

Can I offer up a more positive suggestion to inspire others to do the same with writing reviews?   Put the Stars IN THEIR REVIEW.

In other words, I am going to be writing a former guests review today and the guests is going to see this along with every other future host:  

RESPECT OF HOUSE RULES:  2 Stars.  Over the course of 3 nights of their stay, they broke 5 rules and continue to break them even though I gave them several friendly reminders to please stop eating in our private room.  Fans and Lights were constantly being left on after they would leave to go sightseeing.  Her response to my 2 verbal reminders: "Too difficult to remember your rules." 

CLEANLINESS:  4 Stars.  They left clothes all over the bedroom furniture and floor instead of using the provided closet, dresser drawers, hangers, however bathroom was somewhat neat.  Bathroom did require some extra cleaning on my part because water was being left all over the floor even though my bathroom has 2 rugs.  Found out they were washing clothes in there instead of using my FREE laundry service. 

COMMUNICATION:  3 Stars.  This guests failed to read many of my messages over the course of 3 months. I had to constantly repeat myself, send messages again hoping to get a response and even waited 2 weeks to get replies on 2 IMPORTANT questions that I had initially sent during the initial booking process.   Her reply was...." I am very busy Momi."  However, when she needed 26 hours of my extra help to rent a car she was always seem to be available to send me 50 plus questions reqarding her rental car and her trip to Hawaii.    I would even reply back at 3am HAWAII TIME to her because of her timezone to help her get a quick reply from me. The 26 hours is not an exaggeration in any way.  

I would NOT host this guests again for the reasons stated above.  However, there are many more reasons. 

*** END OF REVIEW ***

Make sense?  @Marzena4

Hopefully Airbnb will soon realize that we as hosts NEED to see the Stars that other hosts have chosen.   Until then, this is what I do.

Aloha, Momi

@Momi0: Wow, it more than makes sense. It is brilliant. I am going to join the suit and rate the guests. Hosts are to help, but cannot be treated as servants. All that you wrote about electric facilities left on, wetted bathroom, extreme washing sound familiar to me. Also usage of the stuff in the kitchen well beyond some generally accepted rules of hospitality...

If I ever got to travel to Honolulu, I would stay at your place - I guess I might be challenged to work hard for all 5 stars from you 🙂

@Marzena4   I gotta say....the word "brilliant" made my day! 😉 hahah 

Thank you for taking the time to read my reply post to you and responding in kind.  I am so glad it makes sense to you.

I would love to host another Airbnb host (you) and hope you do come to Hawaii for a visit.  However, there is no reason for you to have to "work hard" to be a 5 Star Guests in my home....all I ask of our guests is to come with a GRATEFUL heart, use swift communication, AND respect/follow the House Rules, (common sense to me) and don't wash your underwear/panties/bras in my bathroom shower and hang them up in our front courtyard area where we all sit down to eat!  LOL...for the love of god...how does anyone think that's ok???  (yes my recent guests did this....EVERY SINGLE DAY....even though we repeatedly asked them to stop.  And it drove my husband nuts!  We explained during our house tour that the line was for wet bathing suits and beach towels only.  This guests booked a PRIVATE ROOM, but treated us as if she and her mother rented the entire home to do as they please.  One of my worst experiences to date since July 2015.  By the way, I ended that booking early. Which is MY right.  As this is MY home. 

By the way.....I forgot to mention to you that I always give PRIVATE FEEDBACK to every guests on how they can become a better guests to their next host.  One particular thing I always mention to them....Do NOT show up to your next hosts home without a gift....we are not hotels....this is OUR HOME.  While they may be a paying guests, they are still a guest nonetheless.  I can't imagine ever showing up at anyone''s home without a gift.  I have brought a gift to every single Airbnb hosts we have stayed with, including gifts for their children.  (and or pets)

EDITED TO ADD:  Another thing I love to write in my private feedback to the guests....my favorite moment with that guests.  Many of us have inside jokes between each other....those are my fav! 

And I am very blessed to say that many of my guests do arrive with a gift and we treasure each one by taking a photo with them, and giving them a hand written "thank you" card either into their luggage with the help of their traveling companion or mailing it.    Sometimes, I even mail a yummy gift too.  Or sometimes I sneak a big Hawaiian calendar into their luggage with the thank you letter.  We love to surprise our 5 Star guests. 

Would love to hear what other hosts do.  😉

Aloha, Momi

@Momi0: I know that each of us loves gifts, but I wouldn't be asking for that much from guests. Of course, I did receive gifts from a few of my guests, which was teriffic. But for me it is enough when the guest respects the rules (that is why we have them), is reasonable in their judgement and does not blame me for what they have done wrong. Is it too much for a host to expect from their guest(s)?

@Marzena4 Fair enough. Totally understand what you are saying, but I was raised differently in our Hawaiian culture, one never shows up to anyone homes without something to show appreciation. My grandmother would spank me if she was still alive if I ever slept as a guests in someone home without bringing something or at least ask "What can I bring?" 

Aloha, Momi

@Momi0 It used to be more like what you say here as well, when I was a kid - communist times in the middle of Europe, but mostly within families/among relatives. But to strangers - not really. It is indeed a beautiful habbit in Hawaii.

Tina107
Level 2
Sebring, OH

What are the levels that are listed below each person's name in this discussion thread?

Thank you in advance...

Tina

Basically Level 10 is a AirBnB Diety.

David

Tina - the levels are when you get involved, post questions, answer questions or comment on different threads. The more you do the higher the level. Until 10 == but NOTE that doesn't mean that someone at level 10 is super wise, knows everything or has any special standing on Airbnb. They are just active and involved. I am level 10 and really like learning tips, hints and advice and enjoy and hope to mentor and help other hosts to have a great time hosting as I do. Happy Hosting, Clara