Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Get guests you can trust— every time

Hello everyone,

I hope you are having a good day.

I wanted to let you know that we have updated the booking process to make sure you don’t have to host repeat guests if you don’t want to. Now, anytime you give a guest 3 stars or less, that guest will not be able to instantly book any of your spaces, even if you have Instant Book turned on.

Find out more in our Help Center.

What do you think about these changes? We’d love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Lori347
Level 1
Missoula, MT

What if it was an honest misunderstanding but you still don’t want that guest back?  Giving them three stars is harsh// or maybe Not warranted 

Christine936
Level 2
Cairns North, Australia

Hi I’m wanting to actually block  all local residents so as to keep my privacy and some anonymity. I have found all the previous locals that have booked here treat us more like a cheap hotel room and not entered the spirit of Airbnb. The last ones were young and came in late and then argued down the street disturbing the neighbours. So embarrassing. I think we should be able to not take any locals at all so how can I organise this.? I put it in my rules but most don’t read past the basic rules. Please help. Switch off auto book would cause me to miss out on the travelers who I want and are generally great guests.

Allison214
Level 2
Moraga, CA

What if you don't have instant book enabled? If you give a guest less than 3 stars, are they blocked from booking your property altogether?

Why doesn't Airbnb just allow you to block guests with whom you've had a bad interaction? Are we expected to remember the names of everyone who has every rented our property and know that they were terrible guests?

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Allison214  Even remembering their names wouldn't help. Bad guests who have bad reviews just open a new account under another name. It's infuriating and so unsafe for hosts.

Allison214
Level 2
Moraga, CA

Not to mention the fact that we don't get to know who their other sketchy guests are...

Bryan150
Level 2
Nashville, TN

While this is nice, it does not provide sufficient protection to hosts. Sometimes a guest will seem fine and say everything was perfect, but then inexplicably give a host a low star rating. I have heard of guests saying, “Everything was fine, so I gave the host 3-stars. Nobody should ever gets 5 stars, because 5 stars means ‘perfection,’ and perfection does not exist.”

Naturally, we may not want to host a guest with that attitude again. Unfortunately, we will not find out that the guest has torpedoed our rating average until after we have rated the guest. We may have given the guest a good rating, not realizing that the guest was about to screw us. Nevertheless, we reasonably should be able to block that guest from staying with us again, regardless of how many stars we gave the guest.

We should be able to block any prior guest from booking with us again (and perhaps from even being able to see our listing in their searches).

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Lizzie I suppose the guest is still able to request to book?

Rosana--Roxi-0
Level 2
Sarasota, FL

Hello

Does this still hold true in 2020? 

The fact that, anytime you give a guest 3 stars or less, this guest won't be able to book in your house or contact you on Airbnb message?

Deborah965
Level 1
North Baddesley, United Kingdom

Hi Rosanna-Roxi. Did you ever get a definitive answer to this question ?  I have just had a guest that was so high maintenance I found her completely exhausting!

Thanks Debbie 🙂