Day 8: Wonderful Bird Descending. by Ann & Vassilis.

img001.jpg

Wonderful Bird Descending by me.

We received a phone call from Mykonos Airport about 4p.m. to say that a group of travellers had just taken off from there in a helicopter en route to our island and our holiday villa. We knew that their flight from London had been delayed about 3 hours as the guests had already informed us that morning, so they had missed their ferry connection to our island, Syros.

Syros has a small airport for local flights, but not privately hired helicopters, it seemed. We found this out when we arrived at the airport, someone indicated that 'helicopters land somewhere over there' by waving his arm towards the nearby coastline.

So, Keystone Cops style, we shot backwards & forwards trying to find out exactly where the 'helipad' was, Vassilis driving, me on the phone to the customs police/ port police/ travel offices/ friends/ anyone... including a man & his dog walking by. All answers were vague.

It turned out to be a tiny cliff edge next to an extremely stinky sewage plant, surrounded on all sides by electric cables. Oh, and I forgot to mention, in a Force 9 Gale. Eeeek!

As the helicopter appeared & hovered shakily over the cliff, we glimpsed 4 deathly pale faces peering nervously out at said cables, the pilot as cool as a cucumber as he expertly guided his mighty swaying bird in to land, over a wild tempestuous sea.

" Welcome!"

"Welcome to Syros!"

we chirruped as they staggered towards us after opening the helicopter door & after being smacked in the face by wind & the not so welcoming aroma.

Back at the villa, after a much needed sit down & a drink, they all saw the funny side to this surreal adventure & went on to have a wonderful 2 week vacation.  What a relief for all involved!

Seasonal Greetings & Kronia Polla to everyone from us in Syros!

Ann & Vassilis.

Kimberly54
Level 10
San Diego, CA

@Βασίλης-and-Ann0, fantastic story!  A helicopter ride in force 9 winds over a restless sea would be enough to drain anyone's blood, and I'm sure the smell of the air was the last thing on their minds! 

How wonderful for them to have been rescued to your beautiful home and a lovely experience. 🙂

Best,

Kim

Hi @Kimberly54 ! 

Thanks for your reply and lovely comments, and yes, certainly an experience! I hope that Airbnb appreciates that we offer our guests hospitality 'with extras' on the side. Maybe we should go in for extreme adventure holidays? Hhhmm, on second thoughts, maybe not !!

Best,

Ann & Vassilis.

@Βασίλης-and-Ann0, I think you can rest assured that AirBnB appreciates EVERY little of the precious 'extras' that any of us offer!  That's really the hook, eh?  It's an experience.  If someone wants an impersonal experience, get a hotel.  Period.

But THIS IS FUN!  (OK, most of it was really fun; the first part was an 'experience!')  ;-)) 

Great job, great story. 

Best always!

Kim
Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

Great story, @Βασίλης-and-Ann0

That was an adventure for you as well, to find out your island has a heliport! 

You have to make attangements with the pilots: it seems hardly more dangerous and probably less frightening to land them via rescue harness directly in your garden ;-))) the rules can be very strict, given the cables. 

I can picture you driving up and down in a storm to find an airport, where you did not know one existed. It would be easier to light flares in the garden ..

Hi @Helga0 !

Thanks for your comments, Helga, we appreciate your suggestion about dropping guests from a 'copter directly  into the garden with rescue harnesses.  Hhhmm!

Would it 'take off' do you think?  ;oD  : -?

Our villa has a large flat roof, but unfortunately, also comes surrounded by cables !

Loved your stories, too, Helga.    Boy! don't we lead intrepid lives & give 'top quality service!'

Best wishes,

Vassilis & Ann.

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

Some thing to remember for sure thank you for sharing 

Hi @Edwin57 ! 

Thank you, Albert,  and yes, you're right ! we certainly will remember that adventure. Has anything like that ever happened to you ? New York must offer many colourful experiences.

Best,

Vassilis & Ann.

No not like yours,but NYC does have a lot going on lots of changes for the good and for the best for the guest if you love the city life

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This is a great story @Βασίλης-and-Ann0. I was gripped, from start to finish. 

I am glad your guests arrived OK in the end and they had a lovely time. Sometimes it is experiences like this that help you to make a trip, I am sure they will remember it for the rest of their lives. 

Did they take the ferry back to the airport? 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Hi @Lizzie !

Yes, definitely left on the ferry, they probably wanted to extend their laidback feeling - enough excitement!

By the way, Lizzie, have you noticed the Puffin picture?

It's one of my bird series & that's why I was a wee bit panicky about whether I'd managed to send the story correctly. I've never sent a picture or painting before online.

So happy I've learnt that.

All the best.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

hehe @Βασίλης-and-Ann0, I don't blame them, I would take the ferry too! 🙂

I did! Wow, did you draw this puffin? I love how much character it has! Do you do much drawing?

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Hi @Lizzie !  Glad you like the puffin, I'm doing an endangered wildlife series at the moment, then I turn them into prints & send them to pals & family around the world as 'Greetings' cards  as it's hard to find Christmas or birthday cards here ( not really a Greek tradition).

Thanks for your appreciation.

Best,

Ann & Vassilis.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Βασίλης-and-Ann0

Lovely story, I so love a sense of adventure. Good on you guys!!

I bet they would have been lovely guests to host! Anyone who goes through all of that to get to their accommodation would have to turn out to be indeed fine guests.

I did have to laugh about your comment...."Our villa has a large flat roof, but unfortunately, also comes surrounded by cables!" That's true to form, from my observation, I don't think there is a 'finished' house in Greece! ;-))

Cheers.....Rob

Hi @Robin4 !

Thank you for you great comments, and yes, they were wonderful guests. Always a pleasure to meet lovely people with a sense of fun & adventure.

You are so right about the cables, Rob, ha ha!

Greece wouldn't be Greece if everything was 'just so', would it? Where have you travelled to here?

All the best.

Vassilis & Ann.