Ben205
Level 10
Crewkerne, United Kingdom

What's the best... hosting idea for under £5/ US$10?

Hi. We've only been on Airbnb for a few months, and I'd really like to hear some of your positive stories about hosting. I'm interested to know what you've done (or heard of) that costs only a few pounds but has made a difference to your hosting.

I'd like to share something about parking. Our property doesn't have any, so I've made a map (https://drive.google.com/open?id=100IgpGQowDXhP71mMDLsoZ-p0bs&usp=sharing) that shows guests the options around and about. This was free (if you don't count my time) and all the data was from our local council.

Another, given to me by a host, is to have a pot by the door with a couple of coins in it and a note saying 'Parking money - have the first day on us'.

What cheap ideas have worked for you?

Ben205
Level 10

Hi - great ideas, thanks. I'm enjoying an Airbnb with family, so will check in again soon.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

American guests get washcloths (somthing completely alien to most British people under 70) while it's 'Thank you' chocs (Lindt) for everybody. 

@Lisa659 I too have a chalkboard on the door to the A/C unit and its a hit.....always personalize with names and such - Favs like places to eat and Must See short list -  even had one guest leave me a terrific note - she was way more artistic - a delight for a small price.  

Graham-And-Michelle0
Level 9
Auckland, New Zealand

Besides all the usual things mentioned we also leave the AT Hop cards that are needed on buses around Auckland. We make sure there is $10.00 of travel on them and ask guests to top them up 

when they leave. Most do. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks for starting this @Ben205

I have seen other hosts mention this here in the CC before and it is actually quite similar to what @Gordon0 mentions, but I also experienced it when I stayed at an Airbnb last year and thought it was a great idea. I recommend getting a few cheap dark coloured face/wash cloths, to leave next to the sink in the bathroom. These can be used specially for makeup removal, it helps to save your towels from marks and guests really appreciate them.

🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Deborah1
Level 10
Beaufort, SC

I bought a small decorative chalk board from Dollar Tree ($1). It is on the guest room door so when they arrive they see a message: "Welcome so and so." 

We provide a simple breakfast. They help themselves. 

If I will not be able to say good bye when they leave, I always leave a note thanking them for the opportunity to host them. 

We provide bug spray and sunscreen. Important here in South Carolina! 

Ann242
Level 2
Hernando, FL

I love all of your ideas!

Besides free coffee and bottled water, I give each guest a bowl of fresh free range eggs from our hens (we have a large henhouse on our lakefront property.) The guests can cook their own breakfast if they like. I have even given extra eggs to some guests who have coolers and don't have to travel that far. These are a huge hit! 

I also have purchased inexpensive bottles of wine for guests if they mention they are celebrating a special ocassion & I provide lists of local excursions for the guests.

-Ann2 eggs.jpg

Susie5
Level 10
Boston, MA

HI

I think fresh flowers which I get at Trader Joes for $4 is probably a nice touch - that and a small chalkboard on which I write, "Welcome John!" are the first things they see when they open the door.

I leave the light on so that it is never dark when they arrive. The AC is on if needed.

I provide a lot of non-perishable food items which they can pick from e.g. microwave popcorn, ramen noodles (very popular!), cereals, hot chocolate mix, jams, peanut butter, coffee and tea.  Each set of guests gets a package of English muffins (cheap and disposable if they don't eat them) along with a fresh half stick of butter, and half and half for coffee (I have a Keurig coffeemaker, don't yell at me! I know it's not ecological...)  I have oil and vinegar and a range of basic spices, and all of those things last through multiple guests.

I have a small drawer with some basic over the counter medicines and sunscreen - Aspirin, headache tablets, stomach tablets, Bandaids, allergy tablets, cortisone cream, etc.  When you open the cupboards they are full of "goodies". Also the kitchen is completely equipped with decent pots, knives etc.

For kids I invested in a couple of inflatable kid-sized beds, a bucket of blocks and a couple of puzzles, and some new boxes of crayons (I remember what a thrill it was to get a new box of crayons!), a  child booster seat for the table, and a few books which are kid-oriented. 

I have a MBTA (transit) pass which I lend them, but they often forget to return it (but some then return it via mail!)

People often comment that the place is so well provided, they couldn't think of anything which they needed which wasn't there. 

Hi guys im new to this and ive only had three bookings,my place is small and i live in it.So the guessed share my living space with me,they have a nice room with a king size bed and just a small side table and thats it.They have to share the kitchen,dining and lounge all in one open space with me.What can i do to make them feel special as its just like living at home.They have a bathroom next to the room but the toliet is in the laundry.I put some nice chocolates on there pillows and they have a big breakfast in the morning,but i feel its not enough any sugestions would be helpful.Thanks Donna

@Donna217  Your place looks very nice and the outside area is lovely.  Please consider adding a few more pictures of the lounge area and kitchen to your listing.  That could bring generate additional bookings.  Perhaps place a small table in the bedroom where guests can set their personal items.  Have a bottle of wine, snacks or fresh fruit available to your guests.   Bottled water is always a nice touch.  I like to have fresh flowers in at least one area my guest will be using.  

Linda   

It IS enough!  A big breakfast and chocolates on the pillow?   Add a chalkboard with a welcome "John and Jane" and  be a friendly, person interested in people and be personally welcoming and you're a hit.  Don't feel like you have to break your neck.  Just do the basics well:  clean, nice bedding.....

Karen-and-Will0
Level 10
Maryland, United States

@Ben205:  We do several things but one of them that has a lot of impact, unique, and is less than $10 is related to cookies.  When we arrive at the unit to clean between guest turnovers I go to the little café in our complex.  There I purchase fresh chocolate chip cookies, 2 for each guest staying up to a max of a dozen.  (My container can only handle about a dozen max.)  The container is a clear square pyrex dish with a bright red lid.  On top of the lid I put a brightly colored sign that says:

WELCOME (a fun clip art ‘welcome’ off of Google images)

Thank you for selecting our place.  We hope you have a 5 star stay!

As soon as guests arrive they tend to message me a thank you.  So not only do they like the cookies, the first impression is positive and we know now they arrived (plus I just planted a little seed about 5 star stays!)

Lori0
Level 3
Bowling Green, KY

I love doing special things for each guests that stay here! For all guests I provide bagels, cream cheese, orange juice & coffee. I bake a treat each night of thier stay usually cookies. For the kids I will fix a treat bag from toys from the dollar store - coloring book, crayons,  for the bridal parties cool gel eye mask, chap stick, mints,  for the adult couple bottle of wine (two buck Chuck as a person earlier descrbed - going to copy that label idea!) sometimes I fix a snack tray depending on their arrival time. All of these ideas aren't costly, just thoughtful. I am constantly shopping for fun things for the guests! The latest fun is the Eclipse the our area is in the path, so in addition to viewing glasses, I have made treat bags for the kids including moon pies, starbursts, milky way and eclipse gum! I love a theme! lol It always make a positive impact and lends itself to starting conversations of the area and taking a tour of the farm. Happy hosting.

LoriKy
Ben205
Level 10

This one's more for making your life as a host easier, get a cheap squeegee for the shower.

Guests will enjoy cleaning it for you!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Handy idea @Ben205. Do you find you guest do this?

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.