Ben205
Level 10
Crewkerne, United Kingdom

What's the best... hosting idea for under £5/ US$10?

Hi. We've only been on Airbnb for a few months, and I'd really like to hear some of your positive stories about hosting. I'm interested to know what you've done (or heard of) that costs only a few pounds but has made a difference to your hosting.

I'd like to share something about parking. Our property doesn't have any, so I've made a map (https://drive.google.com/open?id=100IgpGQowDXhP71mMDLsoZ-p0bs&usp=sharing) that shows guests the options around and about. This was free (if you don't count my time) and all the data was from our local council.

Another, given to me by a host, is to have a pot by the door with a couple of coins in it and a note saying 'Parking money - have the first day on us'.

What cheap ideas have worked for you?

Ben205
Level 10

Thanks for the idea. I'm sure some hosts would find it useful. I've used Google to create a map of parking options, which guests seem to use - https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=100IgpGQowDXhP71mMDLsoZ-p0bs&ll=50.88424323354333%2C-2.795516...

Is this similar to what you're doing?

It's similar, but I write software for a living so I have some code that takes the map and compose it in a PDF each time I make an update to it. That way when I print it out it'll have the latest info and some text about the places. 

I'll see if I can put up a website that can output it for others too 🙂

Barry27
Level 3
Auckland, New Zealand

I'm having 'Treehouse in totara heaven' tea towels printed. Free for my guests to take home.

Domestic bliss forever for guests remembering a great time here!

Dee33
Level 10
Reston, VA

Even though I allow kitchen access, each room has its own mini one-cup coffee pot along with a small supply of coffee, tea bags, hot chocolate, sugar, no-calorie sweetener, spoons and stirring sticks. I always place two fresh bottles of water and a snack, such as granola bar, cookies, or crackers (whatever is on sale).  But only a few have used the pot.

What they seem to love, and which has been mentioned in my reviews, is when I set up the main kitchen coffee the night before. I put in the water & coffee, then set the timer to start brewing at the designated time, which is based on guest schedule. They can come downstairs to freshly made coffee in the morning, even when i am still asleep!

Cynthia142
Level 2
Georgia, United States

In addition to the tea, coffee, sweetener, etc., that other's have mentioned, since our listing is pet-friendly, I also provide a small quantity of high-quality dog food and poop bags. There is nothing worse than arriving at your destination and realizing you forgot the dog's travel bag.

I've had more than one guest comment on how thoughtful they considered these items.

Ben205
Level 10

@Cynthia142

Good idea. I've found even having a water bowl gets extra marks. And, the next guest used it as a salad bowl...