MicheleandLouw0
Level 10
Maun, Botswana

Small things matter!

Dear fellow hosts. I would like to talk about small or minor things. Whenever I stay over I always pay attention to two things which in my mind tells me if a place is kept clean.

Maybe silly to others but I have an obsession with light switches! I always check to see it these are kept clean. May it be a beside lamp or other lights switches. And if it is not clean I wipe it clean because I do not want to touch a dirty light switch. (Same goes for door handles!)

The other thing I always check out is the back  of the bathroom door. How often has it happened when I sit down that I see how filthy the back of the door is. Some cleaners only clean the door on the outside and never close the door while inside and see how dirty it is.

Needless to I am meticulous about these two things in my own listing. Now I am curious to learn from others what small or minor things matter to them?

Dirty light switches...yes!  I can see why people would look down their nose at one but I'm not fussy about mine, just usually wipe along the top when dusting.  If it did have fingermarks on it that are visible I would certainly wipe a cloth over it.  It's particularly important for the one that's in the toilet as think of how many unwashed fingers have touched it.  I must do that next time I'm home, lol.

Crystal3
Level 3
Eliot, ME

We always do the top of shower rod, vacuum under the couch cushions, lip around the top of shower, window sills, top of light bulbs, top of doors, moulding on 6-panel doors, top of moulding of doors/windows , wipe down shampoo/body soap containers and (even though no one would know) always wash our hands before placing the drinking glasses in the bathroom. Have we passed the OCD test yet?

@Crystal3I have not done the top of the doors yet (BUT WILL DO NOW) but I  certainly wipe down the Shampoo and Shower gel containers!

Haha, yes I think you have.  I don't do all of these things all the time, certainly occasionally.  When I dust I like to walk around each room with the duster held high in the corners to do the cobweb run if required.  While there I will run it along the tops of doors/architraves and window sills.  I like to damp dust with a lot of surfaces as it's a much better (longer-lasting) result than anything else.

Jeanette37
Level 3
Traralgon, Australia

I am very fussy about guests hanging my bathmat back up.  It really irritates me when they don't as it means it doesn't dry and is untidy and disrespectful.  In some cases I have stayed the night or so after them (on my own) and not only is the mat still damp and this means it is slippery on my tiles but I don't want to have to turn around and bring out a fresh mat.  I expect that guests return things to the way they found them as this is common courtesy and good manners particularly because they're staying in my home.  I certainly don't expect, however, the bed that they've used to fit this criterion as I need to service it anyway.

Adi25
Level 3
Pitts, PA

thanks for pointing out all these places I have to clean as a host. I never paid attention to the light switches.

Also I can tell you that hotels dont clean after each guest like you do: you can bet they wont be cleaning behind the bed and stuff like that. 

As for me I like to walk barefooted. I like hard wood floors. Carpets are dirty no matter what. My pet peeve is the soap dish. I hate to lift the soapt to find mushy stuff. The soap dish has to be squicky clean and dry.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Grubby fingerprints on the light switchs and electrical outlets are for sure things lots of people miss when cleaning. I actually wipe the light switches, faucet handles and doorknobs down between guests with antibacterial wipes. And how many hosts have ever tried lying down on the guest bed and looking up at the ceiling? (Like your guest will) Ceiling light fixture full of dead bugs? Cobwebs up in the corners? 

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

Baseboards! Including ones that are hidden. I like to know that they ALL are clean! Stair rails, window sills - including with window slid open, as that's where you will find the occasional dead fly. And many other things. I am blessed / curses with an eye for detail. The tiniest smudge or speck of dust does not escape me. Unless for some reason I have to rush things, which I try to avoid, at all costs.

Catherine827
Level 10
Northern Territory, Australia

Not everyone is lucky enough to have a robotic vacuum that can fit under the furniture. Mine sadly doesn’t.

I’m undoubtedly preaching to the converted, but please ALWAYS, always get down on the floor and check under the beds. As a traveller, I’ve found receipts dated two weeks before my accommodation dates! Yuk! 

As a host, I’ve found dead tissues, even a pair of thongs (flip flops) that had been discarded. 

No matter how well you clean everything else, if items are found under low couches or beds, your cleaning rating will be blown out of the water!  

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I know some furniture is too heavy, but my guest room has a single bed with a foam mattress, so it is light. I actually slide it over each time I clean and wash under where the bed normally sits, and every month or so I flip it up sideways and vacuum the underside of the bed. There's always cobwebs there, and the occasional spider.