Level 1
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Additional sleeping in a one bedroom apartment

Pull out couch versus sectional? Vs Murphy 

1 Best Answer
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

@Sunny241  They all have their pros and cons.

Murphy beds are nice because you can put them up and save floor space during the day. The only thing I worry about is the guest somehow hurting themselves or their children getting hurt while putting them up or down.

Sofabeds are nice for the same reason that Murphy beds are nice, but it is almost impossible to find one that is truly comfortable. I see other hosts mentioning that their guests sometimes complain about the comfort of the sofabeds, even the more pricey ones. That pesky bar in your back can be annoying.

Another option is a roll-out cot. Some of them are quite comfortable.

Futons are another option - easy to expand, but tend to have the same comfort issues as sofabeds.

Another option is a really good quality air mattress with an electric pump. I like this option, especially for children - many good air mattresses are quite comfortable. You have to make sure to spell out clearly in the listing that one of the beds is an air mattress, though. I’ve seen guests complain if this is not known beforehand, as it isn’t a “bed”, per se.

Then, there is the old standard couch or sectional, which I believe is the way Airbnb started. Again, nothing wrong with it, as long as this form of sleeping arrangement is clearly disclosed.

You also need to decide whether to attempt to make all of these up with proper linens before guest arrival, or to let the guests do it. Some guests don’t want to do the extra work of making up beds.

View Best Answer in original post

2 Replies 2
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

@Sunny241  They all have their pros and cons.

Murphy beds are nice because you can put them up and save floor space during the day. The only thing I worry about is the guest somehow hurting themselves or their children getting hurt while putting them up or down.

Sofabeds are nice for the same reason that Murphy beds are nice, but it is almost impossible to find one that is truly comfortable. I see other hosts mentioning that their guests sometimes complain about the comfort of the sofabeds, even the more pricey ones. That pesky bar in your back can be annoying.

Another option is a roll-out cot. Some of them are quite comfortable.

Futons are another option - easy to expand, but tend to have the same comfort issues as sofabeds.

Another option is a really good quality air mattress with an electric pump. I like this option, especially for children - many good air mattresses are quite comfortable. You have to make sure to spell out clearly in the listing that one of the beds is an air mattress, though. I’ve seen guests complain if this is not known beforehand, as it isn’t a “bed”, per se.

Then, there is the old standard couch or sectional, which I believe is the way Airbnb started. Again, nothing wrong with it, as long as this form of sleeping arrangement is clearly disclosed.

You also need to decide whether to attempt to make all of these up with proper linens before guest arrival, or to let the guests do it. Some guests don’t want to do the extra work of making up beds.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Sunny241  All of @Pat271's comments are excellent.  The only other thing to consider is whether you even want more than 2 people staying there.  I like many hosts find couples to be the best guests who produce the least wear and tear.  I don't know if you'll get more bookings by offering a place for 4 people, and if you get those groups, whether they'll be happy or will feel crowded.