Alcoholic guest and how to h andle?

Answered!
Judi52
Level 2
Eugene, OR

Alcoholic guest and how to h andle?

Our recent guest stayed with us for two weeks before his new permanent home was available. The first few days were fine. Hubby even shared a glass of wine with him.

Then he asked to hitch a ride with me to the grocery store (he doesn't drive) so he could get supplies and not have to eat out as often. 

After that, my husband and I noticed changes in his behavior and maybe he was sick - he walked funny. He was supposed to be working in a management position but had very strange hours and over the weekends, he mostly slept.  When he checked out today he asked my husband where to put recyclables and had a large Smirnoff bottle. Hubby showed him.  Then as we started cleaning, we found 3 additional large bottles of Smirnoff plus beer.  We are his first AirBnb experience.

We are non-smoking so he went for walks and then put the butt in our trash container. The smell nearly took my husband's head off.  It was quite a shock.  But technically, he followed the house rules.

We have been hosting since the fall of 2018.  I'm befuddled about how to do a review on a guest like this, but other hosts might want to avoid him.  Open to any suggestions on how you have handled a client like this.  

1 Best Answer
Ana2038
Level 10
Santa Ana, CA

@Judi52 , as @Mike-And-Jane0  has stated, I probably wouldn’t mention the empty bottles etc…but do leave an honest review and ask yourself “would I host this person again?” As to the smoking, my listing clearly states “no smoking”  in or around the property as the smell of smoke gives me a headache. You may want to extend your no smoking rules to the surrounding areas of your property to ensure the smell does not drift towards your place. 

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Judi52 I probably wouldn't mention this at all. Two weeks and four bottles of Vodka does not an alcoholic make (in my opinion).

Two large bottles of vodka a week for one person does seem excessive to me @Mike-And-Jane0  but I agree if the guest otherwise followed house rules I wouldn't mention . 

@Helen3 we have had a fly tipper (now caught)  in our village dumping 150 wine bottles a week Now that is a drinking problem!

Ana2038
Level 10
Santa Ana, CA

@Judi52 , as @Mike-And-Jane0  has stated, I probably wouldn’t mention the empty bottles etc…but do leave an honest review and ask yourself “would I host this person again?” As to the smoking, my listing clearly states “no smoking”  in or around the property as the smell of smoke gives me a headache. You may want to extend your no smoking rules to the surrounding areas of your property to ensure the smell does not drift towards your place. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Four bottles in 2 weeks, sounds like a bit 'light' in comparison to my frequents guests. Try 4 people, 12 bottles of serious liquor, 14 bags of ice, 3 pounds of lemons and at least a carton of cigarettes - for just 4 days! If they are beer drinkers 12+ cases of beer would be the norm. Serious.