All about linen and bedding sets

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

All about linen and bedding sets

Linen.png

Hello everyone,

A topic that we talk about fairly regularly here in the Community Center is around how to manage linens and bed sheets, especially when it comes to providing them, changing them and washing them. We also see hosts ask what colour linen others think are the most welcoming, but also the most managable when used regularly.

There are quite a lot of different solutions that hosts adopt, many of which are based on the type of accomodation you offer, but one of common concerns is around controlling costs. Perhaps you have a plan of how often you change the bedding and replace it, perhaps you have little tips like applying a mattress cover to help prevent ware, perhaps you choose to wash your linen at a certain temperature to make them last longer.

How can you offer an excellent service and keep in budget at the same time? 

Please share your tips on how to manage linens and bed sheets, and get inspired by the solutions suggested by other hosts. Please give a “thumbs up” on your favorite ideas shared by others!

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

166 Replies 166

Hi, All

I am searching for Linen Bedding Sets on google. I found this discussion So right now I don't have any suggestions but I really like the topic.

AudenHome.

Jay1798
Level 3
Seoul, South Korea

In Korea they have these mattress pads which are like mattress sized blankets which have four elastic straps to hang onto the corners of the mattress.. They're a lot easier to swap out and I think more comfortable. I’m thinking to move towards those, but not until after replacing our mattress and frame.

We use waterproof/hypoallergenic mattress and pillow covers underneath the regular sheets and pillowcases, of course.

https://www.airbnb.com/h/sojay-hwagok

In terms of tips, I find that using a mattress cover is a great way to protect the bedding and prevent wear and tear. I also wash my linens at a lower temperature to help them last longer. As for the color, I think it really depends on the overall style and decor of your space. Ultimately, finding a balance between comfort, quality, and cost-effectiveness is key. Investing in good bedding may seem like a big upfront cost, but it can save you money in the long run. And hey, who doesn't love the feeling of crawling into a luxurious Gucci bedding collection https://alishirts.com/product-category/gucci-bedding-set/ at the end of a long day?

@Lizzie - for me, sheets are the thing, no matter what, that are going to be used by every guest.  They need to last as long as possible, be as nice as you can buy, but also, you need to replace them more frequently even when they aren't ruined.  It's a part of doing business.  

We use white sheets and have recently started purchasing them in individual quantities instead of "sets".  That way if the bottom sheet gets ruined, I can replace just that item. Mostly we wash them on the shortest cycle (26 minutes) in warm water with detergent, softener, and bleach. Once a week they go for a full cycle (58 minutes) and a "whitening" pod is added to the load.  Once a month we run them on the "sanitize cycle" (hour and half with hot water).  Please note that we typically must was sheets 4-5 times a week because we run at a high occupancy and take single nights. 

Two regrets on these particular sheets: 

1. I bought 100% cotton but not in a high enough thread count for them to not come out of the wash wrinkled.  All my "edges" are buckled and won't straighten any more, even with ironing.  
  2. The sheets were not a high enough quality either - the threads at the side edges have already started coming undone.  

So these sheets will be donated to charity sooner than later (we take the tax break!) and I'll be replacing them.  On the upside, we don't go through sheets more than once a year typically and have only had to replace 1 set of pillow cases in 3 years hosting (darned mascara!).  Replacements typcially happen as needed, not on a schedule and this time I won't skimp so it will make the bed look tidier (and me happier). 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This is so interesting to read @Alice-and-Jeff0 and crazy when you think about what sheets go through really. 🙂 It sounds like you have worked out a great system for maximising the use of your sheets. 

I see you mentioned about the "edges" buckling. I just wondered here in UK, fitted sheets are quite popular, are they commonly used in the US? Do you think this would help to prevent this happening?

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Lizzie- here in the states we use both a fitted sheet on the bottom and a flat sheet too. Americans sleep between 2 sheets. Typically goes mattress pad, fitted sheet,  flat sheet, blanket, bedspread/coverlet, duvet/comforter and then an afghan or throw. This is not a hard rule, but it's the typical layers in the states. So the sheet that's crumpled at the edges is the flat which is the one that shows when you fold back the top layers. We know Europeans don't typically  have top covers and we've found the Duvet inside the bed underneath the flat sheet. 

Kevin877
Level 2
Chester, United Kingdom

Hi Lizzie , 

I have found the most fantastic supplier who is so supportive and will gladly supply any qty needed of Duvets, Pillows, bedding, gowns , towels......finecottoncompany. 

They have a special offer on at the moment 15% off using the code BED015

Hope this helps BED018

Regards, 

Kevin

Kevin877
Level 2
Chester, United Kingdom

Sorry BED018 is the correct code !!!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Kevin877,

Great to hear you have found a company that you really like, sometimes it can take a bit of time searching around. 

Do you have a preference on what type of linen your use? Or a particular colour?

Thanks for sharing,

Lizzie

--------------------

Kevin877
Level 2
Chester, United Kingdom

Hi Lizzie , 

We use all white - easy use and maintenance. 

The Ranges I use from FINE COTTON COMPANY  - based in London - are Roma and Brooklyn, 300 thread count sateen. Made from a thicker thread for hospitality - so lasts longer and you can bleach / withstands industrial laundrying. 

Can also be washed at 60degrees celcius  - which is the recommended temp to kill dust mites, bedbugs etc.....

Preshrunk product! 

Fine Cotton offer a envelope end to their duvets, no buttons ....but can supply button end duvets  - would just need to specify. 

Happy to share my Discount code FCCKS2019  🙂

Hope this helps ! 

Brooklyn 300 TC Egyptian Cotton Sateen Bed Linen Collection

BROOKLYN 

Roma 300TC Egyptian Cotton Sateen Bed Linen Collection

ROMA

Affiliate?

@Alice-and-Jeff0,

Sounds like you have given this much thought. I have a 4 night minimum, so do not have to launder as much as you, but I have had my share of frustrations with things that may ruin a sheet, like hair dressings (grease), and body lotions. I have a quick fix for you. You can lift those greasy stains by putting your linens in a heavy solution of liquid Dawn dish detergent (I like the 2X strength) and water. It works like a charm. I leave mine submerged in my kitchen sink for half a day just to make sure it works.

I had tried dry cleaning, which resulted in beautifully ironed sheets ( I now steam them with a hand held Conair Steamer found at Costco for under $40), but the grease stains remained at a cost of $54 per set. Luckily I had not thrown out the sheets before I discovered this method for cleaning them. Mascara is greasy, so I think this may work for that too; it's worth a try.

Another trick I adopted from a seasoned B&B owner in Ireland was to supply black wash cloths in the bathroom for your guests to use when washing off makeup, They may use them to wash off their muddy shoes, a specific aggravation of mine, but the dirt gets washed out and stains cannot be seen. Good luck.

@Donna0 - we do provide black clothes for makeup. The white wash clothes get dingy from so much use. We've tried everything to fix this but cannot find a solution. We currently have a lot of white rags for cleaning. 

I provide disposable makeup removing wipes after a couple white washcloths were destroyed by makeup.