Are solar panels the answer to my high energy bills?

Answered!
Monique171
Level 2
New York, NY

Are solar panels the answer to my high energy bills?

I’m thinking of installing solar panels to offset the high cost of electricity in Jamaica. Guests leave the AC on non stop from check In till check out. It’s always a sunny day in Jamaica-

I’m curious to know if anyone has had success or failure with installing solar panels?

1 Best Answer
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Monique171

Good quality panels will now produce 250 watts per panel so 12 panels will produce a useable 3 Kws per hr at peak capacity. So I would suggest this is the path you should follow. 3Kws will generate in Jamaica around 21 Kws of electricity per day which will not be far short of the property's requirement. In other words you energy bills would be extremely minimal, if at all, and here in Australia a 3 Kw system installed with a good quality inverter, smart meter, approved and connected to the mains will cost around $2,800 AU (around $2,190 USD).

I need to do a couple of other duties like.....get dinner....but I will return to this if you need me too. I haven't even started on battery storage yet...and that really is the way to go!

Cheers.....Rob 

View Best Answer in original post

18 Replies 18
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Interesting how different places/industries adopt radically different approaches. On water heaters,  here we use almost exclusively In-Line propane water heaters, so only kick on demand, they heat water that fast, they are small and mounted on walls; a 5-gallon propane tank last up to 2 months and is ignited by 2  D-cell batteries changed every 6 months. On the other hand, the RV (and boat) industry relies heavily on Quick-Recovery (6gallon/10gallon) water heaters (Alwood being the biggest maker), and not aware they use In-Line heaters at all, which are by far more efficient. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Fred13

Yes propane instant heaters are big here too Fred, Rinnai, Bosch, Adtherm being the major suppliers but, the issue I have with these heaters, they continue to supply hot water as long as someone wants to turn on a tap! I had guests having half hour showers, mainly through the winter because the water was hot and pressure great. Guests can do that at home but, it just chews up a resourse I can't produce and have to buy. I can't make propane but I can make electricity.

And although 80 Litres is not instantaneous, with a 3.6Kw element it will heat the tank from 10c cold to 50c in about 15-18 minutes.

If I had to buy my power at what it costs here Fred, I would have to lift my listing amount by 30% and that would definitely effect my booking potential!

Cheers......Rob 

I have a 5-minute shower timer which it appears most 'beat by a mile'; and also a super-thin, water-flow shower head. I am quite emphatic on power and water conservation with guests, in no uncertain terms, and as odd as it may sound, they buy into the 'program' without tantrums. 

Wow! I found your content here very creative and helpful. ** solicitation removed ** I will keep checking back for more great content. Very happy to read this.