Beds: double or two singles?

Dan11927
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Beds: double or two singles?

Hi all. In a one-bedoom space, which is better - one double bed or two singles? Do you think most guests are couples who would prefer to be in one bed? In your experience, how rare is the booking for two friends who prefer two singles? We have two singles but are considering swapping to a double.

Thanks for your help.

Dan

20 Replies 20
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Dan11927 In a 1 bedroom place I would always go for the biggest double bed you can sensibly fit in.

@Dan11927 , when we traveled to Portugal last year, the Airbnb unit we booked offered us the option of double beds or singles (we were a group of 6 , 2 couples and 2 singles). Both couples chose singles (due to use of Cpap machines or snoring). I loved that they offered us that option. I’m assuming the listing in Portugal could easily put the singles together to create a double/queen. Offering that option would open up another pool of potential guest(s). 

Best—

In my opinion, we'd rather go with two singles because guests can bring them closer or further away as they wish (or even better, ask them before their arrival and arrange).

If you decide to put a double bed, make sure to note "suitable for couples" in your description.

Whatever you choose, it's important that your description and photos match the real situation so the guests know exactly what they will get.

I have a single in my 2nd bedroom but want to switch to a double. I occasionally sleep on the single and for me it is sometimes hard to turn over in it without feeling like I might fall out of bed. Most of my guests are either couples or 2 singles so  a queen is in the main bedroom and the single/ soon to be full in the smaller bedroom. Hope this helps.

Victoria2112
Level 2
Pont-l'Évêque, France

We have 2 singles which are set up as so.  Within the listing we description we say they can be pushed together if required and we'll happily make up the beds as a double if guests let us know in advance. We've had many "coupled" guests stay in our first year of operation and to date only 1 couple has asked us to put the beds together. 🙂

Allen212
Level 2
Marco Island, FL

Double with a trundle!  They don't have to use it but if it's needed, it's better than a couch.  

Beth4630
Level 2
Naivasha, Kenya

Most  couples  prefer Double beds

Andrea6877
Level 2
Tampa, FL

A double bed for sure.

Bernadette466
Level 2
Nashville, TN

Two singles that way they can choose to combine or not.

Brian1583
Level 2
Los Altos Hills, CA

It depends on your market.

I have a large house in a vacation destination. People live to bring one or more families to spend time in the mountains and the lake either in winter or summer. I have 5 bedrooms, one of which has 1 bunkbed and a single bed. Works great for families who often have younger ones.

Sometimes i have a group of couples so queen beds or bigger is best. I would avoid full size. People have become accustomed to larger beds.

Susan5449
Level 2
Winterville, GA

Hi Dan!

A double or preferably a queen bed for a one bedroom. Even if it is two friends, girls will share the bed. I have a one-bedroom apartment on Airbnb. I have a queen inflatable mattress in case you need more sleeping space. They have them in all sizes. Best of luck to you!

Respectfully,

Susan Norman 

Kelley3
Level 3
Long Beach, CA

Neither; if this is a 1 bedroom and a couple would be staying together the smallest I would have is a Queen size bed. I have a one bedroom apartment I list and it has a king size bed in the bedroom and a queen sleeper sofa in the bedroom.  If you are only renting the room I could see going with a queen mattress 

Kelley Hartwyk
Amidou6
Level 2
Washington, DC

I have one double, and my guests love it!!!! And I just accept one adult. Guest should let me know up front if he/she is going to be accompanied. 

Mia1090
Level 2
Cebu City, Philippines

I would do one double if it's a tight space but if it can accommodate more, either 2 single beds with a trundle or 1 double with a trundle.