Best beds for an airbnb

Answered!
Zachary192
Level 1
New York, NY

Best beds for an airbnb

Hi Guys,

I am outfitting my property to get it ready for use as an airbnb and had some questions regarding the type of beds I should purchase.

1. Is there a style that works best - platform, 4 post, fabric covered, basic hidden frame with box spring...

2. Is there a mattress size I should target?

3. Is there any benefit to providing Twin-XL's which can combine into a King (for flexibility).

4. When increasing the bed count what is better:  Bunk bed, stacking bed, murphy bed, trundle bed, etc?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Best,

Zach

1 Best Answer
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Zachary192   A good sturdy metal frame that will support the mattress without a box spring is your best bet.  These are available through the big box stores as well as IKEA. Advantage - easy to move around while making the bed and readily replaced.

Secondary to the metal frame would be a platform bed, but those can have sharp corners or not enough underside room that the guest is not stubbing their toes.  Advantage -- nothing dirty to find underneath the bed.

Mattresses should be of a best or better category, and immediately protected by a zip around bed bug encasement.  You can get bed bug encasements for box springs but avoid installing beds with box springs to save money.  Same size beds also save on linens and housekeeping.  If you have a housekeeper, make sure that she is comfortable with the process and time needed for zipping twin XLs to a king bed.  My larger homes (3/4 bedrooms) have just King and Queen beds.

Think carefully about bed count.  How many bedrooms do you actually have?  How many bathrooms to accommodate your guest numbers.  What is the zoning?  You certainly don't want the guests complaining about having to wait for the bathroom, how hard it was to open and close the sleeper couch (which is now bent or broken), complaints from your housekeeper who can't climb up into the bunk beds, or from the adult who tried to sleep in a bunk bed, etc.

My personal optional bed choice - a twin trundle/baby pack n play in the master bedroom for the little one who needs to sleep with mom and dad.  Otherwise, no extra sleeping areas.  

Best wishes for your venture!

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Zachary192 A few thoughts:

1) The style of bed should suit the style of the property/decor

2) The bigger the better as long as it doesn't cramp the space in the bedroom

3) Yes a zip link bed is a good idea but make sure you are clear in the listing what the default configuration is and that guests have to ask to have the bed split (or joined)

4) Don't overcrowd your space. By ramming in too many beds you will likely attract the discount guests.

Finally do think about bed bugs and where they might live. Mattresses can be protected with bug proof covers - Not sure about box springs etc.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Zachary192 here are my thoughts:

1. As many beds of the same size as possible so bedding change is easy and there are fewer questions from guests. 
2. I stay away from anything that can be liability or more likely to break. This includes bunk beds

3. I try to make things as easy to replace as possible. For me that means the wire frame beds. They are cheap, sturdy and an identical one can be bought at any time

4. I like mattress in a box for the same reason. Not too expensive, easy to replace. Reasonably comfortable 

@Inna22 well said on having the same size beds. We have 4 king size and 1 super king and the latter is an absolute pain when the sheets get mixed up as well as the additional cost of holding spare bedding for it.

@Mike-And-Jane0 one of my houses has three different bed sizes, the other two have only queen. The first one is so much more complicated to turn over to upkeep. Even the little things- once just one piece in a set wears out, the whole set is unusable. 

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Zachary192   A good sturdy metal frame that will support the mattress without a box spring is your best bet.  These are available through the big box stores as well as IKEA. Advantage - easy to move around while making the bed and readily replaced.

Secondary to the metal frame would be a platform bed, but those can have sharp corners or not enough underside room that the guest is not stubbing their toes.  Advantage -- nothing dirty to find underneath the bed.

Mattresses should be of a best or better category, and immediately protected by a zip around bed bug encasement.  You can get bed bug encasements for box springs but avoid installing beds with box springs to save money.  Same size beds also save on linens and housekeeping.  If you have a housekeeper, make sure that she is comfortable with the process and time needed for zipping twin XLs to a king bed.  My larger homes (3/4 bedrooms) have just King and Queen beds.

Think carefully about bed count.  How many bedrooms do you actually have?  How many bathrooms to accommodate your guest numbers.  What is the zoning?  You certainly don't want the guests complaining about having to wait for the bathroom, how hard it was to open and close the sleeper couch (which is now bent or broken), complaints from your housekeeper who can't climb up into the bunk beds, or from the adult who tried to sleep in a bunk bed, etc.

My personal optional bed choice - a twin trundle/baby pack n play in the master bedroom for the little one who needs to sleep with mom and dad.  Otherwise, no extra sleeping areas.  

Best wishes for your venture!

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Zachary192,

We purchased the Linenspa brand California king size hybrid memory foam and coil mattress in a box for our three guest studios and our own bed. We use three layers of mattress protection under the sheets: 1) zippered encasement around the mattress; 2) a waterproof mattress pad; and 3) then a waterproof encasement with an elastic band.  We also put zippered waterproof pillow encasements over the original pillowcases.  The waterproof encasements can save you lots of money by preserving mattresses and pillows.  Just today, we had guests checkout and found that they had spilled tea/coffee on the bed.  We easily removed the sheets, elastic band and pillow encasements to launder them, and found the mattress pad and pillows were dry and without any stains.

The decision to go with California Kings (72" x 84")  vs. Eastern Kings (76" x 80") was made because there is more available room space at the foot of the beds than there are on the sides.  In our two bedroom apartment, we purchased an Eastern King due to spacing around the bed in the master bedroom, and two Twin XL beds in the secondary room which are configured into an Eastern King upon request.

All of the bed frames are platform and were purchased because they were on sale on different sites which has resulted in none of the rental spaces having identical designs, but that works for us since we want to offer differently furnished spaces.  We did purchase 4" metal and wood low profile box springs for a few of the beds, because the mattress tops were below the bottom of the headboards and pillows would often slip through.