Cabin heating during winter

Answered!
Juan2984
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Cabin heating during winter

Hello,

I've been having some complications during winter for my cabin. I wanted to see what you cabin owners are doing to overcome some of these issues. I've been getting some reviews where guests will point out the amount of snow in the property. During peak winter it snows heavily with several feet of snow sometimes by the hour. I do get the deck and driveway shoveled enough for guests to get in and out of the property however some guests do expect the entire property(deck and driveway) to be cleared out of snow which is just not possible. Another opportunity some guests will point out is the lack of central heating in the cabin. It is my understanding that central heating is not common in log cabins due to fire safety in the house, I've looked for heating sources online and I've asked a few neighbors as well as cleaning crew and it seems that this is standard for cabins. I have heaters in every room, a chimney and a floor heater in the house however even with all these items, the house won't go above 81F during peak winter. I do get a lot of people that experience snow infrequently or have never been in snowy conditions. Are there certain heating sources you guys are using that I'm missing out on or anything you would recommend to clear walkway paths or driveway more effectively? Thank you

1 Best Answer
Kirsten266
Level 10
Heemskerk, Netherlands

Hi @Juan2984 just mention the heating and snow in your main-ad! 
its no problem if you address some ‘issues’. That way people are prepared. Show some snow pictures ( maybe remove them during booking period in high/hot season) 

in the beginning I’ve had some issues with old ladies who visited my tiny house. They complained about the steep stairs. There were a couple of pictures of the steep stairs but when I mentioned it in the main ad, people didn’t complained anymore. Because they know what they could expect 🏡

btw, I hope to get back to the us one day and then I’ll definitely consider to visit one of your houses! 🏡 

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3

Certainly, @Juan2984 !

For snow removal, consider a snow blower for efficiency or heated driveway mats for an effortless melt. Both save time and keep paths safe.

Regarding heating, your setup with room heaters, a chimney, and floor heating is on point. Enhancing warmth can be as simple as adding insulated curtains to retain heat and considering radiant floor heating in key areas for even warmth without the fire hazard.

Educate guests on enjoying the winter experience and using heating resources wisely. It’s all about setting expectations and providing a cozy, safe environment.

Warm wishes,

Lodge Compliance

Kirsten266
Level 10
Heemskerk, Netherlands

Hi @Juan2984 just mention the heating and snow in your main-ad! 
its no problem if you address some ‘issues’. That way people are prepared. Show some snow pictures ( maybe remove them during booking period in high/hot season) 

in the beginning I’ve had some issues with old ladies who visited my tiny house. They complained about the steep stairs. There were a couple of pictures of the steep stairs but when I mentioned it in the main ad, people didn’t complained anymore. Because they know what they could expect 🏡

btw, I hope to get back to the us one day and then I’ll definitely consider to visit one of your houses! 🏡 

We travel to ski spots frequently.  VT, NH, ME, Big Bear, Mammoth, Tahoe,  UT, CO…some offer central heat, others do not, some shovel, others  leave it to the guest~ service level varies, we find, often tied into the price charged per night.

One idea you may consider is to sending guest a “snow forecast” remind them to expect snow, what to pack, etc.. guide how to make a snow angel, etc… “ which you can set up in auto messages….

We added as 90%  visitors are first time to the city, and do not expect the weather, walking conditions, bar open close times, etc…