Claims - seized property

Jenny448
Level 2
Lake Tekapo, New Zealand

Claims - seized property

Hi All,

I have had an unfortunate incident at my property over NY. The short of the story is bedding was seized by the police (warrant issued) property seized  listed provided.

I turned up to my property to turn it over as I had guests coming in l and noticed bedding gone. One king single bed stripped (twin single room) 

messaged my guests who said the police had taken it!!!!? No one had notified me, I didn't even receive the warrant ....so I had to scramble to make the bedroom presentable.(I live Two hours from the nearest city).

Purchase replaced items, came to just over $700, not including extra cleaning. Sent claim through to Airbnb

Endless emails, to a person with limited English. A new email (no thread) each time so it was very difficult to kept track of what was sent and when. She would say she hadn't Received paperwork, when I had sent it from more than one source and in different formats because she would say she could not read it, this included the police property list and warrant? I rang the help lined 3-4 times to see where things were at because the situation was such a shambles. Helpline would tell me everything was ok and then I'd receive and email from the claims saying the case was closed.

Two months of an absolute debacle I received an email today saying my claims been declined!

I just want to know how other hosts have go on??? This total lack of support or continuity has left me so angry and Frustrated!!! 

3 Replies 3
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Jenny448 Unless you know why the bedding was seized I don't think Airbnb will pay the claim. If it was due to an historic guest you are probably outside the 72 hr claim period. Even if Airbnb allows the claim they will only pay a depreciated sum for the old bedding (and maybe nothing if the police plan to return it. You may be better off claiming on your own insurance.

Hi

Airbnb were aware the reason the bedding was taken (evidence for a pending court case) 

I issued the claim as soon as I spoken to the police and received paperwork (well within the time frame) 

I was the palming off to different departments, and then lack of service. Each time starting again. Repeatedly asking for someone to ring. This has gone on for nearly two months.

Have gone down personal insurance route, as I realised the new insurance that Airbnb has provide is a sham.

Persistence is the only way you will achieve success. you have to keep emailing, do not take no for an answer, even when the agent says no, you have to go to the next one, until you achieve success. 

Recently took us 30 days to resolve a problem guest created, estimate it took us 20 emails, 7 phone calls..