Cleaning Initiative is Ridiculous.

Answered!
Juan63
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

Cleaning Initiative is Ridiculous.

I welcome teaching hosts how to maintain a "safer" space but it's absurd and a complete overreach to demand hosts to follow a certain protocol or face a 72 hr penalty.

My place was immaculate before covid and will be, during and after.

Are you purposely trying to make more hosts quit?

1 Best Answer
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Juan63 @Mark116 @Sarah977 @Debra300 @Lisa723

@Kelly149 and others, in the guidance they are giving us is a reference to a former USA Surgeon, Vivek M. He used to be an advisor for Obama.

Look him up like I did.

It's possibly unlikely at a guess that he's ever done cleaning.

It's a standard guideline that's been given out regardless of what Infectious disease it may be.

In Govt Public Health Acts legislation there's always been reference to disinfection of bedding and other items when a person has an Infectious disease, hence as I've said previously, read your local Public Health Act and associated acts.

I recall when a family member had leptospirosis ( a contagious infectious disease)  when we were kids that nothing different was done.

It was standard cleaning with disinfectant which we were always fastidious with.

We were not allowed to enter the bedroom they were recuperating in until after they recovered.

That's commonsense so as to not get unwell.

Count our blessings bc back in early 1900's and prior one wasn't allowed to let or rent out a room or property for 6 weeks if someone with an infectious disease either stayed, lived with or died  in one's home 

Whilst it's more challenging, and an unknown who may have any virus or disease take comfort those who travel via sailing vessels or aircraft have always had to sign declarations if they have any notifiable disease.

That should be picked up & recorded at the border BEFORE departures.

I'm not sure how that works with boat people/ illegal migrants.

Bear in mind that both Tuberculosis and Ebola are the 2 infectious diseases referenced in International Scientific research papers in Govt Corinavirus/ Covid19 documents used across the world as to how Covid19 would also spread.

Ref - Govt UK  website.

If one has those 2 diseases under control, or not at all in their location, or where one's guest is from one should be reasonably safe to carry on as normal.

I don't recall when we last had reported cases of Tuberculosis in NZ as recent records are not available and I've never known us to have had any cases of Ebola which would be picked up at our borders.

Both diseases that are required by law to be reported to Health Authorities.

View Best Answer in original post

29 Replies 29
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

Where even is this? I thought this was supposed to roll out mid-May? @Juan63 Have you had the option to "sign up?"

@Emilia42  No sign up yet. I'm more concerned about the 24hr block. That's unsustainable especially on weekends.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Juan63  I guess you can take heart that airbnb will never know whether anyone follows the protocol or not, it seems to be the honor system, how else would they know what cleaning products were used and whether or not the cleaner work masks or a gloves?

@Mark116 Really it's just as ridiculous as certain state rules on what is an essential business. They want to feel good that they are doing something. They need to leave it up to the hosts to decide what is necessary and what level of risk is acceptable like we do the rest of our lives.

@Mark116 this was my thought exactly... click the box knowing that it's all hogwash, but much like @Marie22 said, when I saw the part that said I was agreeing to (I'm really not kidding here)

WASH ALL walls & baseboards with soap and water (my walls are made out of wood!! and are 10' high!!)

Wash EVERY dish/utensil in the kitchen

Wash EVERY machine washable piece of fabric (pillows, curtains, etc)

Disenfect EVERY window latch

Send cleaning tabs thru the garbage disposal

Wipe down the inside and outside of every rubbish bin

Unplug and wipe with cleaner EVERY small appliance that plugs in

I could keep going, but really...

I'm completely positive that my space is cleaner than any hotel I have EVER stayed in and my place is a BARN!! Vrbo was already my preferred platform, but the hosts ABB didn't run off with the 'everyone can cancel for free' debacle may just decide to bail over this nonsense. If hundreds of ABBs already looked like an bad IKEA showroom, this may push us right into Hospital Chic. No Thanks!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Where are you seeing a box you need to tick to say you are doing this @Kelly149 

I can't see it on my listing 🙂

@Helen3 I didn't receive notice from ABB but just stumbled on it: in the listing info there is a "Cleaning" tab to choose that or in the "Availability" settings I could choose the extended break between stays

@Helen3  It may have just been rolled out in the US, on my listing it is a new main tab at the top of the listing along w/performance, calendar, etc.  You click on that and then you can roll through the cleaning information and click opt in after you take a short quiz.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

I'm guessing that either way the block between stays, whether 24 or 72 hours, can not be overridden. This is definitely going to result in A LOT of hosts not taking 1-night reservations. I would also think it would mean a sharp rise in night prices. Now a 2-night reservation is really holding 4 nights on my calendar and for $125 that may not be worth it.  

Yes, there is a block of 24 hours in place. It cannot be over ridden.

One our our guest tried to extend their reservation by one day after the checkout time.
Airbnb blocked her and told her to find another listing as ours was not available.

Marie22
Level 4
Dallas, TX

@Juan63    Complete Overreach is a great way to describe the unattainable protocols in the "cleaning handbook".  I got tired just reading it. When I got the the part where I was supposed to wash down the ceiling of my patio after every guest, I just laughed. 

As others have said - Just not worth it. Airbnb - get real and give is doable, affordable guidelines.

@But @Marie22 , what about all the guests who climb up on a ladder to lick the ceiling? 😜

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

I wonder how many hosts will sign up and not follow the protocols or will people refuse to agree to sign up?

@Mark116 I really cannot imagine any place that could accommodate that "protocol" on a regular basis. You would need to have an entire place made out of cement with zero soft surfaces that you were able to hose down with bleach.

I genuinely do not believe that anyone will actually complete those steps as they're written.