Critique my Listing , Cindy, Arkansas

Cindy1127
Level 2
Harrison, AR

Critique my Listing , Cindy, Arkansas

Just listed and was expecting more reservations.  Any suggestions? https://airbnb.com/h/thedairybarn.
Not getting bookings as expected

6 Replies 6
Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Cindy1127  congrats on your new listing! It takes time to get bookings through, and I can't know for the USA but surely January is not a peak travel month?

As you're new let me make a few suggestions. 

Your photo order is weird. The first 5 are what people can scroll through from the Map View, so make those diverse and interesting. NOT of sunsets or local scenery, save those for the end. Guests want to see the basics: living room, kitchen, bedroom, and bathroom. You are showing a desk and stairs and random scenic shots before we see the bedrooms. People will compare your kitchen and bedrooms and they'll be a bit annoyed if they have to click through a lot of irrelevant content to get to the bedrooms (and wonder why you didn't put them first: what's wrong with them?)

I'm sure you'll continue to make improvements to your spaces (and it's a challenge to know when to stop! I've been tweaking for a year now, I feel like I'm close to being "done") so invest some time in researching photography tips. You'll no doubt be taking new photos (and this also is a good idea as the algorithm -allegedly- prefers listings that have constant attention like new pics and tweaks to the text)

Your pricing looks really cheap - you are charging the same for 2 people as well at 8? See how you go, I suspect you'll be able to push up your pricing once you have a few great reviews. 🤞🏼

2 bedrooms but sleeping 8? the "bonus" room is weird, is it a windowless room?  Have you checked your hot water system will cope with that many people? the 4x4 thing might be a challenge? (although in my 3 listings tonight, all 3 groups have an SUV of some sort... so perhaps not! haha)  In all honesty this statement "Get an incredible night’s sleep in our cozy beds"  that is not the vibe I get from your beds, and they are Queens... I wouldn't spruik your beds as being amazing unless they truly are, with amazing mattresses and wonderful pillows and high quality linens, that are better than what I might have at home.  I personally avoid any claims that would overpromise.

Your farm sounds wonderful, I'm also doing farmstay hosting (only 100acres), love the creek crossing.

You have a really reasonable cleaning fee, so be sure to point that out, and hopefully you don't have crazy checkout chores, mention that too as these are pain points for guests of airbnb. You probably could flesh out some House Rules and add those in. For us country hosts i'd be sure to include something about the realities of farm life: bugs, weather, animals, poo.... and make sure people aren't going to be prissy and complain. I now say "if you don't like dogs, cats or wildlife, sadly this isn't the farm for you", cos lots of people think they would enjoy a farm stay but turns out they are so utterly citified they just can't cope. I also have spare gumboots and jackets in my cottage for guests who turn up with silly shoes and no warm clothes. (even tonight in the middle of summer we've had an Antarctic wind blowing all day and everyone is in trackies and sweaters, inside!)

All the best and I'm sure you'll have a blast with hosting. I love sharing farm life with guests. 

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Cindy1127   My initial reaction was that you were trying to shoehorn a maximum number of people into a very small listing.  I would drop your guest numbers to 6, especially since you have two queen beds in one room, so no privacy there...

You need to warm up your space a little bit.  Right now, it looks very austere and not warm and weelcoming.  Take a picture of one bedroom with a breakfast tray on the bed, or add a throw to give some color.  Those things do not need to be present when a guest arrives...they just add to your sales pitch pictures.

Add two chairs to the front porch and retake the house picture.  Inviting people to sit and enjoy the view is another sales tip.

Best wishes for your new venture!

Cindy1127
Level 2
Harrison, AR

https://airbnb.com/h/thedairybarn

Not getting the reservations I was expecting.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You have already posted about this on another forum on this community @Cindy1127 and had useful feedback

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hello @Cindy1127 ,

I combined your previous post and the topic you recently created, giving it a new title so all the useful information is in one place for you. I am hopeful that other members will see it and give you helpful suggestions.

Can’t find what you’re searching for? start a conversation

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Cindy1127  I think it's adorable, maybe a little formulaic, but it's fine, it's cute, the decor fits the space.  8 guests is too many though, I would take it down to 6 and remove that cot.

I'd imagine now is not a very good time for travel in your area, but you could check to see how busy other Airbnbs are in your area.  Good luck.