Deleting one of my accounts

Deleting one of my accounts

Has anyone had this experience? I was contacted by Airbnb Support and told to delete one of my accounts by a specific date. I told them that one was my travel account and the other was my hosting account. The problem is I get enquiries that go into my travel account. I didn't set it up that way but, for some reason, that is what is happening. Now I'm not sure whether my upcoming reservations will be affected if I delete my travel account. Of course, Airbnb Support, after giving me their ultimatum never got back to me with answers to my questions. They have threatened to cancel all my upcoming reservations if I don't comply with THEIR deadline. It's pretty frustrating when you want to comply but the ones doing the demanding don't help you do it.

Any help from anyone would be appreciated.

Thank you,

10 Replies 10
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Your account connected to this community account is the one with number 6637291,  it shows 1 listing

(Bright Penthouse with Terrace and A/C) and 9 reviews

https://www.airbnb.com/users/show/6637291

If this is your only listing, then all reservations should be in this account.

If the other account has no active listings attached, then it can be deactivated

@Martin-and-Emelyn0

Hi! Thanks for your reply. This is actually my travel account and hence all the reviews are from hosts. My hosting account is https://www.airbnb.com/users/show/3678889. What is strange is that when a prospective guest messages me, i get the email on the email address of my travel account. This is why I am worried that if I deactivate that account, something will happen with my listing and the reservations associated with it especially since, as you saw, the listing for my flat is associated with my travel account. 

Thank you, @Emiel1

@Martin-and-Emelyn0  You are not supposed to have 2 accounts. There is no reason to have a "travel" account and a "hosting" account. All activity, both as host and guest is done through one account. Many hosts have reviews on their profile both from guests and hosts.

If your listing is on your "travel" account, then of course you are getting messages on that account.

That's the thing. My listing was never on my travel account yet, somehow, I can access it through that account. I'm not sure how that happened so I just want to be sure when I do deactivate that account that my listing will still remain in my hosting account. So far airbnb has not given me an answer on that.

Thank you for your reply.

@Sarah977 

While Airbnb works hard to create the impression (specifically, amongst individual hosts) that members are strictly forbidden to have more than one account, the reality is that multi-listing hosts having multiple accounts is very much the norm and is absolutely permitted by Airbnb. (So much so that almost all channel management platforms have offered Multiple Airbnb Account Integration facilities for several years now) 

Previously, the T&Cs stated..

"You may not register more than one (1) Airbnb Account *unless Airbnb authorizes you to do so*. You may not assign or otherwise transfer your Airbnb Account to another party"

They're a little more circumspect on the subject in the current T&Cs, which now simply state..

"You may not register more than one account or transfer your account to someone else"

However, much further on in the document comes the caveat below, which basically gives Airbnb carte blanche to assign and enforce (or not) whatever rules they wish, with whatever hosts they see fit, whenever they feel like it -

"Airbnb may without restriction assign, transfer or delegate this agreement and any rights and obligations hereunder, at its sole discretion"

So yes, one rule for one, one rule for the other. 

Guests also frequently discover that they have more than one account too, without ever being able to fathom how that might have come about. 

Of course, both hosts and guests having more than one account would also be of great benefit to Airbnb, particularly when it comes to impressing investors with the "growth data" 

@Sarah977 

Here's a short video from an Airbnb rental arbitrage "guru", laying out some of the reasons why multiple accounts are considered to be an essential safety net by many multi-listing hosts.. 

https://youtu.be/P1zkfchuuE8

@Katrina314  Yes, I'm not surprised by that info and thanks for sharing it. 

What I meant in my response to these hosts, who only have one listing, when I said, "you're not supposed to" was that they seemed to think they needed to have one account for hosting and another for travelling, not "you've done something that isn't allowed".

I remember a post here from a guy who was promoting his blog, which was horrendous- it was a blog for guests who he was advising to always ask for discounts, send out inquiries to 40 hosts and take the best deal, tell hosts that some money is better than no money, ad nauseum. This dirtbag claimed he was also a host, and when other posters questioned him, saying there were no listings on his profile, he said he had multiple acccounts and got real cagey about it and disappeared when questioned further.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Martin-Y-Emelyn0 

You are now replying with the community-account, which is attached to Airbnb account 3678889..This account has 94 reviews from guests since 2013 and 6 reviews from hosts since 2018.

The account 6637291 has 9 reviews from hosts in years 2013-1017.

Both account have same listing attached to it:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/714318

The listing itself shows as host:

https://www.airbnb.com/users/show/3678889

and co-host:

https://www.airbnb.com/users/show/84093662

What you can do:

- check if emailaddress connected to account 3678889 is correct

- deactivate or unlist the listing on account 6637291

- check if listing is still available on 3678889

- If available, but not listed: relist the listing on 36788889.

- Let somebody make an inquiry ("contact host") on the listing and check if you receIve the message.

After that It seems to me  account 6637291 ("travel account") can be deactivated safely.

Hope this helps,

Emiel

@Emiel1 ,

I removed my other account, which I thought was my travel , as a co-host and my listing was still there on the hosting account! I guess I can now safely de-activate the travel account.

Thanks again!

Martin y Emelyn

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Martin-and-Emelyn0 "My listing was never on my travel account"

Yes, your listing is on your travel account and also your hosting account. What seems to me is that you put your listing on both of your accounts, although you may not have realized that. So in fact you have 2 identical listings in search. The reason you have bookings or guest messages on the "travel account" is because that is the listing those guests booked or inquired on.