Do we clean in between a monthly rental?

Jonathan2445
Level 1
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA

Do we clean in between a monthly rental?

Hello, I’m new host and I’m wondering if we have a client renting for a month do we clean in between or only at the end when they leave?

12 Replies 12
Macarena42
Level 3
Marbella, Spain

Hola @Jonathan2445  yo a mis huéspedes les ofrezco la opción de mandarles una limpiadora a mitad de mes pero la tienen que pagar ellos sino le entrega  el apartamento  limpio y lo demás es cosa de ellos.

----

Hello #jonathan2445 I offer my guests the option of sending them a cleaner in the middle of the month but they have to pay for it if they don't deliver the apartment clean and the rest is up to them.

[Google translation added by OCM]

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Macarena42, I hope everything is going well for you.

I just wanted to drop a quick note to let you know that I have added a translation of your replies in the English Community Center so our Hosts can understand your valuable perspective. I hope this is okay with you.

I have noticed that you are also a very active Host in our 👉Spanish Community. Thank you so much for all your great contributions, and I hope to keep reading your comments 😊

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Melanie318
Level 10
Interlochen, MI

Its whatever you set up in your terms when you set up your listing. I know I would not go 30 days with out cleaning one of my suites. I would want to be in there at least once a week to ensure that things are being taken care of and to keep the unit cleaned. 

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Jonathan2445  When we rented long term to guests, we included a mid-rental cleaning and advised the guest that it would be conducted on an agreed upon date by our housekeeper and outdoor maintenance person in their presence.  This was generally a change of bed linens, towels and a thorough clean of the kitchen and bathroom as well as yard work.  The purpose was twofold -- to ensure guest satisfaction, and to verify that our property was being taken care of.

We never had any pushback on a mid-rental clean -- our guests were pleased to have a clean bathroom, and housekeeping was able to attend to any issues found during the cleaning.  We got immediate notification of less than stellar guests and were prepared to add cleaning time and extra staff upon the guest departure.  

You do have to have this as a Rule for long term rentals and inform the guest immediately upon booking that this will be scheduled.

Jonathan2445
Level 1

How do I  change the terms for monthly rental stays?

Add it to your house rules.  For stays over x will require cleaning every x weeks/days. This of course will fly better if you are not charging them.  You can't mandate a rule and then make them pay for it.  Well you can, however it's not really fair to the guest. 

Karen
Karen114
Level 10
Bolton, MA

I have just instituted cleaning every two weeks for our longer occupancy stays.  Mainly over the winter with snow birds.  

This helps keep the cleaning crews busy during longer occupancy and a way to keep the unit in shape and not so taxing when they leave after a month or so. 

We don't charge for the cleanings as it's included in the rate. 

Karen
Jonathan2445
Level 1

Thank you so much Karen 

Nash-Cottages-LLC0
Level 10
Nashville, TN

@Jonathan2445Hello! It's great to see new hosts joining this host-only community. Regarding your question about cleaning between stays, there's no one-size-fits-all answer, as it often depends on your hosting style and the preferences of your guests. At our place, we don't offer in-between cleaning for month-long stays and have not been asked by any guest for the service. We do leave cleaning supplies in our place so maybe that's why we have not been asked? 

However, since we reside on-site in the main house, we're readily available to address any concerns or challenges that may arise during a guests' stay. While our approach may differ from others, we've found it works well for us and our guests. 

Sylvia283
Level 2
Curaçao, Curaçao

Hey,

I do cleaning every 2 weeks for long term rentals. It's included in the price. To help maintain the rental. Also it's way to make sure things are in order in the rental.

Fiona243
Level 10
Birkenhead, United Kingdom

If a guest stays longer than a week, I will clean, change bed linens, provide clean towels and replenish bathroom supplies, coffee, sugar etc.every week. I can't imagine leaving a rental for longer than 7 days without checking that everything is OK. You don't want a nasty surprise at the end of the stay.

@Jonathan2445 30 day stays:

New guest, we clean at 2 weeks* making 100% sure guest has all valuables out, our housekeeper doesn’t like to clean when guest is in the Apt.

Repeat guest/ tidy:  drop/ pick up towels/ sheets and offer, if they’d like 1 complimentary cleaning, 99% time, they refuse, and it is not needed. 

repeat guest/ not tidy, we clean every 10 days. 

cleaning included, we leave supplies, always, as accidents happen