Do you put flowers in guest room, or chocolates on their pillow? Pros and cons of gifts to guests

Answered!
Deborah0
Level 10
California, United States

Do you put flowers in guest room, or chocolates on their pillow? Pros and cons of gifts to guests

potted flower image.png

I was wondering whether you give any type of "gift" to your guests, such as putting fresh cut flowers in their room, setting chocolates on their pillow, leaving a bottle of nice wine for them in the kitchen.  

I have read about some hosts doing things like this, but I am also concerned about the possibility of leading guests to expect to get presents.  

For instance, if I put flowers in one guests' room, and they write about that in their review, then if another guest reads that a previous guest got flowers, and they don't get flowers, they may feel slighted, or rate me down because they didn't get "full service."    

Do others have views on or experience with giving "presents" to guests?  

1 Best Answer
Florian-and-Theresa0
Level 10
Mintraching, Germany

I took part in the discussion @Till-and-Jutta0 mentioned. And my concerns where the same as @Deborah0's: Would this arise expecations in general on Airbnb (I don't want to be pressured) and for the following guests if mentionend in a review?

We do the chocolate-pillow-thing since starting hosting. The fresh fruits turned into old fruits so we stopped this. We have orchids and some plants which don't need much water in the apartments so no fresh flowers needed. Coffee powder and tea bags belong to our basic equipment. After the discussion in the german-swiss-austrian-group we started a little "service" station in the staircase with a candy glass and a basket with samples from shampoo, conditioner, soap, perfume and so on.

A while after the discussion I stumbled over a nice little regional present (bavarian snack napkins made of cotton) and now our guests get them as a parting gift and seem to like it. And I don't feel like corrupting the guests for a goor review. It's just a little gift.

But I also think that it is a question of the price of an accomodation. If you have "five star"-accomodation with "five star"-price maybe it should be more a standard than in a normal accomodation. If you offer a normal nice accomodation it should be something little, nice and individual.

View Best Answer in original post

42 Replies 42

I agree here. I have rec'd stellar reviews and I just provide the basics, coffee, tea, cream and use of cooking oils and spices. I do provide soap and shampoo but I use the normal size. I used to buy fresh flowers but changed to curly bamboo (3 stalks in a vase). It lasts forever and creates that lovely earth vibe. If you are tight on budget, I think this is enough.

Honestly I think making folks feel welcome and showing them the creature comforts of the house/room has gone a long way to putting them at ease to create their own experience. I think they have commented more on the space and not the extras. Also having ideas on experiencing the destination, i.e., hikes, sites and restaurants has been appreciated most by my guests. I very often get comments on the information that I have available to them. Never had comments about flowers when I used to provide them. 

This is so helpful to read the different ways hosts are trying to make guests feel welcome. Thanks for all of the info!

Carolyn2
Level 2
Lufkin, TX

I leave a note welcoming them and banana bread. I make little loaves and freeze till needed. I have an fully furnished apartment with everything provided. I do have a welcome tray on table with the small individual bottles of wine and popcorn. In spring and summer I will put flowers , but not bought ones. I also do put small toiletries that I have collected thru the years of travel. I do try to go the extra mile because I am not in a big tourist area, and really have to reach people anyway I can.

Cam0
Level 2
Evanston, IL

Yes I do most of the time. It isn't so much about the chocalate as it is the statement to the guest. It's all about the "Wow" factor, to feel like they are staying at a 5-Star hotel, based on their perseption of a 5-Star hotel. My guest, normally walk in, and say "Wow' there are chocalates on the bed. Often times they don't eat the chocalate. It's the impact on their initial walk into the room. 

There's alot of information from community on this subject and great to learn from others.  The space is an apartment so it is clear that guests can shop for the food they need, and I dont supply food items.  Instead, I leave bottled water, sparkling water, juices, and small container of milk (the little ones that come in 6 packs for kids!). Also have available an assortment of coffee and teas. I do place cut flowers, daisies and tulips last long. I divide a bunch of flowers and leave them near window. I dont mind leaving flowers because I consider this a treat to myslelf as half the bunch goes into my place! After some time doing this i realize that it is upkeep to restock the refrigerator, replace coffee and flowers... It is another task to do, but i find it is a nice detail.  Guests consume only what they need or enjoy, and expense is about $6-7 per stay. Hope this helps!  

Rosemary18
Level 5
Madison, VA

Hello,  I have a table with a glass top when quests enter their living area and a flower arrangement sitting there is always a big hit! There is beauty in simplicity. I use a clear vase and buy THREE large white spider mums from a local florist. The give me a discount because of my hosting. These flowers last easily for up to a MONTH !!! Honest. Add whatever you like to the mums including some greens and something with a little color. I like to zero in on birthday celebrations with guests if they choose to share that information with me. I've given small gift bags with cologne, some with candies, others with candles... A small package of good quality cupcakes are also a big hit !

Martha77
Level 2
Seattle, WA

I normally leave bottle water in the guest room. The bathroom is fully stocked with shower products, hair products, and dental hygiene for their use during the stay. I've had one guest ask me for nail polish remover once, which I normally didn't supply but do now. The only other thing I provide for my guest is homemade banana/apple/blueberry muffins or bread and their is fresh fruit they can help themselves too. I don't charge much for my rental so I don't go overboard or I won't break even.

Danica2
Level 2
Quezon City, Philippines

we prepare a meal (Local Dish) to welcome our guest. I observed that many guests feel hungry and dont want buy foods on their after their long flight. They usually love and appreciate it.

I have 3 listings and seem to have one that gets the most mention. In this small suite I leave one beer and cooler in the tiny fridge with condiment packets and coffee creamer. 2 mints on the microwave , a single flower vase with offerings from my garden near the door. A coffee station with a small basket containing 2 tassimo pods , teas ,oats , hot choc , and wee candy bars. The bathroom has full sized shampoo and a few cuetips,  floss, and a bottle of perfume. 2 bottles of water and miss vickies  chips sit in the kitchenette. The last few items are a cribbage board , cards and votive candles.

Seldom does a guest use more than one or two of these food items but most do enjoy something so I find it works great. I bet my cost is under 4 dollars per guest averaged out and they often comment on the many little extras. Yes, and once in a while a guest cleans me out by eating everything and stealing the towels but that's how it goes !

Ian_Janice0
Level 4
Longmont, CO

@Deborah0 -I provide some small touches but change it up all the time. In the Spring, Summer and Fall a very small vase with flowers from my garden on the small kitchen table. I placed a Christmas cactus in December and it is still there without the great blooms with a very small minature fir tree with some bulbs. We had a small Christmas tree up for our Christmas and New Years guests. I change out salt ad pepper shakers, kitchen towels, pot holders, napkins etc. with the holiday or season. We left a very nice Christmas Stocking on Christmas Eve with things from lotterey tickets, an ornament, small spiced liquor bottle, cookies etc. The cost was around $12.00 but they were 2 week guests. We usualy do non alcoholic drinks - age (college students) or vulnerability to addictions. These guests we had provided cleaning for and knew they enjoyed to imbibe. There are water bottles and cremers in the frig, a Keurig with coffees, sugar and creamer packets. Basic kitchen stuff - spices, etc. which gets added to as guests leave items to share.

We have  choclates on the pillow and our current guests have a long stem choclate rose across the bed. We have small size toiletries in the bathroom and mix these up based on sale items I find. Have a gift bag with treats, and a mini hand sanitizer, small pack of tissues. The snakc also change with items I see here and there - I recently found some designer packs of peanut butters I included. So no rules just try to add some small individual touches.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Ian_Janice0,

You sound like amazing hosts. Thank you for all the effort you put in, this sounds wonderful. 

As this is quite an old topic, you might also like to comment in this discussion, Going Above and Beyond. 🙂 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Every Guest that stays with us at the Koi Whisperer Sanctuary & Japanese Gardens receives fresh flowers and a gift bag on their bed in their Ryokan.

During summer, sometimes we will gift a fresh plant to take home. We have a Flower Café & Tea House at our Airbnb so this year I am considering a make your own bouquet to take home  in the Café which will be another amazing immersion. The details is what matters and the guests have commented in the reviews on all the special touches. Having hospitality background as a concierge, remember you only have one time to make a first impression. Love & Light... M 

Kyle476
Level 3
Poland, OH

I do give some freebies with my bookings. I usually have a 2-3 day minimum and my rate is a little higher than other area listings but I feel this helps ensure I am getting really amazing guests that will take care of my space as if it was their own and when paying a bit more I feel the guests wonder what sets my listing apart from the other more reasonable listings with maybe similar amenities. This is my thought process anyways. So I try to help the guest feel welcome with inclusion of some freebies and goodies.  I always stock water and some beverages in the refrigerator and  a variety of K-Cups for the Keurig coffee maker. I also provide some individually wrapped snacks that guests can enjoy during their stay or upon arrival. I notice guests like this as sometimes they arrive late and it’s nice to have a little snack waiting for them. Lastly, for longer stays usually over 4 nights or longer, I send a little thank you gift or basket from a local business. This not only gives back to the local businesses in our communities but guests love it when a personalized delivery arrives for them at the house. I do it this way as I’m a nurse and I know sometimes this day in age people even myself are afraid or leery of accepting the item if it homemade... So if the item is delivered by a local company guests appear happy and it’s reflected usually in their review or personal responses how touched they are to receive it. I feel this small token of appreciation or giving back to the guest may put a smile on their face and also it really does help with return bookings because guests remember hosts who are welcoming and hospitable and who give back a little. I feel that’s the problem today especially with hotels as you might get a good rate but after you arrive they nickel and dime every little thing. This I think is why many choose Airbnb as we as hosts make their stay an experience they hopefully remember vs just another stay at a local chain hotel or resort. 

Bronwyn100
Level 7
Hardys Bay, Australia

I was interested to read the items left out for guests. I leave fresh cut herbs basil, rosemary & parsley. Pods & freshly ground coffee together with teas. A bottle of wine, biscuits, dip and a bar of chocolate in the fridge. No chocolates on the pillow as they would melt. No flowers in bedroom because of allergies.  If children are coming I leave a large packet of crisps too. Spice rack, olive oil, tomato sauce, mustard etc. And of course mosquito repellent.