Dog-friendly space. How to screen bad pet owners and avoid increase damage and costs?

Nathalie2322
Level 1
Seattle, WA

Dog-friendly space. How to screen bad pet owners and avoid increase damage and costs?

We are a dog-friendly space. We have a clear pet policy for keeping dogs off of couches and beds however pet owners are ruining our bed linens, towels, duvet covers, and rugs. We provide dog towels, sheets for furniture and state clearly to keep dogs off of the beds. What are other owners doing to screen guests with pets  and implement charges if pet policies are violating, resulting in damages and constant replacement of linens and rugs?

4 Replies 4
Sophia
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi there @Nathalie2322, I'd like to tag some hosts in the hopes they can offer some advice 🙏🏼
They have posted about having pet in your listing. @Jill1199@Demetrea0@Ricky-S-Remodeling-LLC0  

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Julie5882
Level 3
Tiverton, RI

Hi @Nathalie2322 

Beautiful listing!

Have you considered getting “high-performance” fabrics that can stand up to the abuse from pets? Do you feel like your “pet rent” is high enough to cover the wear and tear that is sure to happen? Is there room to provide a couple of dog beds which may encourage the pets to stay on the floor?

Best of luck!

Julie

Julie S. Jenkins

@Julie5882 These are great suggestions.  I need to research linens that may withstand dog hair better ( notnallownhairs to stick to or infiltrate the fabric). I have doubled the laundry time allotted for heavy washes and drying. 

Also what does everyone do with comforters? I have duvet covers that we wash  after every guest. I may have to implement the day blocked in between check ins and outs in the scheduler to allow enough time for all the extra laundry, sweeping, vacuuming,  and mopping in between bookings. 

Good idea to give extra cleaning time. Maybe have 2 sets of linens (big ask, I know) so you can switch out the whole sets if you’ve got a quick turn around. Check out Sunbrella brand fabrics. Pricey but built to last. 

Julie S. Jenkins