Double bed or singles?

Lois32
Level 2
Worthing, United Kingdom

Double bed or singles?

Hi

I'm thinking of letting my large guest bedroom out. Currently it has a queen sized sofa bed in it which I'm planning to sell but is it better to get a large double/queen in there or would you get two single beds?

Thank you

48 Replies 48
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Lois32 The ideal (and most expensive) option would be a zip link king sized bed. That way you can have two listings - one with a king bed and one with two twins. Needs two sets of bedding as well though.

If this is too expensive then I vote for a king/queen sized bed as this will attract couples as well as individual travellers.

Tyson60
Level 2
Cañon City, CO

@Lois32 I would do the largest bed possible in the bedroom, and although it has more cost, do a pull-out couch that way the listing is offered at 2 different accommodations at one time, less work on your end to reconfigure the space based on different guests needs. 

@Lois32 No one wants to sleep in a single. Go big!

@Lois32 Queen bed with a pull out couch or rollaway bed.

Tom3986
Level 1
Fresno, CA

I would go with the queen bed and maybe queen with a single bunk. I have a room with two single beds that I am looking to replace with the queen bunk bed. I think we will attract more families that way.

I would suggest a queen. I currently rent a room with a queen and another with a double… most guests prefer the queen.  If u require a second bed then get a comfortable double pull out/couch

Tracy993
Level 1
Seattle, WA

Queen bed and a sofa bed

The choice between a double bed and single beds depends on various factors, including personal preferences, room size, and your specific needs. Here are some considerations to help you decide:

**Double Bed:**
1. **Space:** A double bed (also known as a full-size bed) provides more sleeping space compared to a single bed. It's suitable for couples or individuals who prefer extra room.
2. **Couples:** If you share your bed with a partner, a double bed may be more comfortable as it offers sufficient space for two people to sleep comfortably.
3. **Guest Room:** Double beds are often a good choice for guest rooms where you want to accommodate both single guests and couples.

**Single Beds:**
1. **Space Constraints:** If the room size is limited or you're furnishing a small bedroom, single beds can be more practical. They allow for more floor space and may be suitable for children's rooms or smaller bedrooms.
2. **Individual Use:** Single beds are ideal for individuals who prefer to have their own sleeping space. They are common choices for children, teenagers, or adults living alone.
3. **Versatility:** If the room may be used for other purposes, such as a home office or study area, single beds offer more flexibility in arranging the space.

Ultimately, your decision should be based on your personal preferences, the size of the room, and your specific needs. Consider factors like who will be using the bed, the available space, and the overall design and functionality of the room. If possible, test out different bed sizes in person to see which one feels most comfortable for you. CHECK:**

**[Link removed due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

Veronika231
Level 2
Princeton, NJ

I would always do a double bed if you can. This means that two people could sleep there versus just one.

Best,

Veronika

Hi @Lois32 

As a start, I would go for a double bed.  Reason being that it is obvious that 2 adults will first try your your accommodation and, I believe a double is more attractive than 2 singles.  This is my opinion. 

I feel 2 singles become appealing when you already have a double room and then perhaps adding the 2 singles will accommodate 2 teenage or younger children who can share the room.  Hopefully this will help you make a decision.  Thank you.  All good wishes and kind regards,

Veronica

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hey @Lois32 , there are so many great pieces of advice here from our amazing Hosts 😊

Regarding the double bed, sofa bed, and queen bed, there are indeed different opinions. Have you made a decision yet? Keep us posted on what you decide in the end.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Torie13
Level 1
Puyallup, WA

I would suggest a queen bed and a great mattress and bedding materials.  

John7815
Level 2
County Donegal, Ireland

I think stick with the queen . Try to entice couples 

In my opinion 1 queen bed .