Down pillows Vs Other pillows

Katrina393
Level 1
Eureka, CA

Down pillows Vs Other pillows

What does everyone think about down vs any other type of pillows? Down pillows are not machine washable Ive learned...Advice

[Title updated by OCM to make it relevant to the post]

26 Replies 26
Ross869
Level 4
Navarre, FL

Comfort vs. cost. I think there is a good balance in finding good pillows that are cost efficient. Down is a little expensive, and as you said not washable. Memory foam or foam like pillows are pretty decent and less costly, in my opinion. 

Melanie37
Level 2
Richmond, United Kingdom

Down IS washable!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Some people are allergic to down pillows or prefer not to sleep on them for ethical reasons @Katrina393 

Melanie37
Level 2
Richmond, United Kingdom

Well, perhaps they should make that clear when booking.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

No it's up to you as the business owner to make it clear what you offer and adapt your listing in response to guest requirements. @Katrina393 

Nowhere in your listing do you mention you only provide down pillows. 

If you know that an issue for hosts is that guests are allergic to down/have ethical issues with using down pillows or duvets -  it would seem rather strange/counter-intuitive for you to only offer them.

@Katrina393    I love memory foam pillows myself!  I also like a firm pillow but offering a variety so they can choose which they prefer is nice!  Smiles,  Eileen

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Katrina393 Great question! 😊

I'm tagging some of our wonderful Hosts to see if they would like to share their opinions: @Jermain40 @Eileen462 @Kitty-and-Creek0 @Heather289  

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

@Katrina393 

Good question - I personally am not good with feathers. I do keep a variety of extra pillows for guests who wish more, or different pillows for their sleeping comfort. Some firmer, some softer, etc. 

Eileen462
Level 10
San Bernardino, CA

@Katrina393   Hi Katrina Im allergic to them and have athsma I usually take my own pillow for that reason.  Smiles,  Eileen

Melanie37
Level 2
Richmond, United Kingdom

Down pillows are washable, use a delicate machine wash fabric like Woolite but not too much! put it on a delicate wash and spin, shake it out, and dry it in a tumble dryer, taking out and checking it.

Use padded pillow protectors and then an under pillowcase. give them a cheaper foam pillow too. so they have an option.

I personally can only sleep on down pillows and even hate feather pillows they just aren't soft enough and can be lumpy.

Melanie37
Level 2
Richmond, United Kingdom

Hang on a minute, Are all American washers top loaders? We Have front loaders in the UK, which are fine for washing down pillows. It's the hollow fibre pillows which distort.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Katrina393  I do not use feather (down) products in my property -- too many guests may have allergy issues.  I have Down alternative pillows and several different grades of pillows so any guest can find a pillow that suits their sleep comfort.

I also double the pillow encasements - pillow, encasement A, encasement B and pillowcase.  Everything is washed between guests to ensure that the guest is sleeping with their face on a fresh pillow.

Nicholas820
Level 1
Jamestown, TN

We use regular pillows half are softer and others firmer so they can choose which they prefer. 
We also use pillow and bed covers to fight bed bugs and other things.

I have both. Down and cotton/polyester. I have protective pillow covers on all of them. Then regular pillow covers over that.