Eliminating strong cologne/perfume odours

Answered!

Eliminating strong cologne/perfume odours

Hi. Seems lots of vinegar is an overhead to the business, and since it's my home where I live feels like a home invasion putrid odour style big time. I know a scent might be nice for some and unpleasant for others. I asked one guest to close bedroom door while applying cologne thinking it would solve problem but alas no, it lingers and only has to walk through the house and the stench is everywhere.

I place vinegar bowls outside his room once he's gone out to try and pull. (I really wonder how anyone would want to get within 3 feet of him, let alone intimate). The vinegar does help but what a hassle/chore and bowls also in my own bedroom. Anyway, wondered if anyone could share ideas and solutions, much obliged!

1 Best Answer
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Adam1846 For relief in your own bedroom while hosting a fragrant guest, a small HEPA air purifier will do the trick as long as you keep your bedroom door closed.  

For whole house relief you can purchase a commercial ozone machine (Amazon, less than $100) that can be run before and after guests.  It does mean that you will have to leave your home for a few hours -- sit outside, go shopping, etc., but it will remove the lingering odors and allow you to not have to mess about with bowls of vinegar.  The machine can also be run in the guest room with the door closed.

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6

@Adam1846 ,

I feel for you, Bro. Some people have no sense of how strong fragrances can linger and be absorbed into a space. We are novices at hosting, but maybe a gentle mention in your house rules could help avoid future odor issues. I'm thinking we should add this to our house rules, too. Cheers!

@Richard2868 I too am new to hosting. I'm reluctant to add it to rules as it might deter guests from booking. I may just invest in an ozone machine as suggested by @Lorna170 .

Thanks for response and good luck with your hosting endeavours!

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Adam1846 there was a big discussion on here a while back about this issue.Try and look at it ,but there is no point running around with bowls of vinegar which sometimes work and sometimes dont .People smell , thats the bottom line.If you want to make a 'niche market ' then promote yourself as not using any artificial perfumes  or plug ins etcetera and ask guests not to use sprays either on the beds or on themselves. There is a niche if it suits you to pursue it, but giving someone 'grumpy looks'will not work  ' ... H

@Helen744 Thanks. No grumpiness on my part, so far... 

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Adam1846 For relief in your own bedroom while hosting a fragrant guest, a small HEPA air purifier will do the trick as long as you keep your bedroom door closed.  

For whole house relief you can purchase a commercial ozone machine (Amazon, less than $100) that can be run before and after guests.  It does mean that you will have to leave your home for a few hours -- sit outside, go shopping, etc., but it will remove the lingering odors and allow you to not have to mess about with bowls of vinegar.  The machine can also be run in the guest room with the door closed.

Thanks @Lorna170 . I will explore HEPA air purifier and ozone machine solution which sounds promising. Many thanks for the advice. Cheers.