Fabric freshener- What’s your favorite!

Lise1051
Level 2
Seattle, WA

Fabric freshener- What’s your favorite!

Hello lovely hosts 🙂

Do you have a favorite fabric refresher (preferably natural) that you spray on sofa, bedsheets, etc and LOVE the smell?

Thanks! 

16 Replies 16
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Lise1051   NO.  My goal is to have a clean, well-aired cabin with NO scent of any kind.  IMO, using a  fabric refresher is not cleaning.  I do not want to think about going anywhere where someone has sprayed a product to "freshen" sofa pillows or bedsheets that go next to my skin.  I am not allergic to products, and I do enjoy scented candles and have a favorite perfume, but as to my cabin and other STR properties, NO scent is my goal.  

Thanks for your input! I agree using a  fabric refresher is not cleaning. But I do enjoy a nice naturally derived fabric freshener for bathroom curtains, sofa, and bedsheets (bedcovers) 🙂

@Lise1051  not sure what "naturally derived" would actually look like though, and marketers are pretty clever at tricking consumers. Arsenic is natural as well, so it tea tree (a fave antiseptic in Australia) and it's toxic to pets. 

I have a simple bottle of water (not tap water as that's often loaded with chlorine, although if you let it sit out for a day the chlorine will evaporate) with a few drops of lavender, and sometimes I spray that but generally I prefer no smell. 

I have a small oil defuser thing in one of my listings and I leave 3 bottles of fragrance for any guests who want to use it. 

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Lise1051 

Be careful what you use, you dont want guest complaining and many do, amazing how guest develop allergies overnight.

Here in Thailand we have a plant that grows wild and its a natural deodorizer we cut it up and put in some nice little bowls around the place, we can use it for cooking and make tea with it.

Amazing Thailand 

We also have a small Ozone machine that does the trick, 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Lise1051,

None.  We use laundry soda and oxygen brightener, either Nellie's or Earthborn Elements which don't contain perfumes, surfactants or phosphates.  A little goes a long way, and it leaves the laundry with a fresh smell.  We usually buy Nellie's it at Costco when it's on sale, and get the other one at Amazon.  If the water is particularly hard, use some vinegar (regular or apple) in the water as a softener.  The smell will fully dissipate when the laundry dries.

@Debra300 

We have our own laundry and we use vinegar a lot works wonders,

https://www.healthline.com/health/vinegar-in-laundry 

yep, +1 for vinegar in the rinse! in fact we were at Costco last week and my daughter talked me out of the 4L bottle of vinegar and now I'm regretting that. 

@Sudsrung0  "amazing how guests develop allergies overnight" 😂 true! or the stories we hear that they saw a bit of mould and now suddenly they have a lung condition.

@Gillian166 

That reminds me of a story some years ago we had 3 bungalows that my husband built they were nice and trendy,

And a woman wrote in her review the bathroom was covered in black mold, It was black grout to match the tiles, Clown

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hahahaha! 

People can be so clueless.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Sudsrung0,

We have gray grout in one of our showers, and it looks black when wet.  Our clean thought it was mold and must have spent hours digging the "mold" out of the checker board sized tile  shower floor.  We had to regrout, and I told her not to do that again and be more observant.  The grout didn't look black until she ran the water.

Debra300_0-1671297048424.png

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Debra300 

I guess a lot of people haven't caught on to this trend yet, even though it's been around for years...

Personally, I think it's a good option if it suits the tiles and the decor of the bathroom because white or other pale grout starts to look grubby so quickly.

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Lise1051  Keep in mind that YOUR favorite scent might not be your guests' favorite scent. I use unscented everything, and have been thanked for doing that by countless guests. Scent is a very personal preference, and you should be really careful about using scents in the property that you host. 

My worst nightmare is to walk into a place that smells of air freshener, scented laundry products, or any other strong smell. When you host, you are catering to "the masses", and you should keep things very neutral, as personal preferences are so different. My two cents (not scents). 

Jermain40
Level 4
St. Louis, MO

Personally I like the smell of fresh lines and essential oil diffusers. I use Downy unstoppable light beads in the bedding/linens wash with free and clear detergent.  Never had any complaints or issues yet. 

I also have oil diffusers in both my units with a few different options for the guests. I usually add a very light amount of vinegar and diluted bleach when mopping the floors. 

My two cents....

Mariann4
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

NO.

Clean smells clean. Fabric freshener should not be necessary in a clean place. Many people have very bad reactions to fresheners, even natural ones. I have family members that can't stay in a room with hints of lemon scent. Others choke from vanilla. Both completely natural.

Keep it clean. THAT is a smell to LOVE.