Fabric freshener- What’s your favorite!

Lise1051
Level 2
Seattle, WA

Fabric freshener- What’s your favorite!

Hello lovely hosts 🙂

Do you have a favorite fabric refresher (preferably natural) that you spray on sofa, bedsheets, etc and LOVE the smell?

Thanks! 

16 Replies 16
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Lise1051 

While what the other hosts have said here makes perfect sense, personally, I love home scents and do use them. After hosting hundreds of guests, I've never had anyone complain about scents, nor suffered any reaction. In fact, the only comments I've had about it have been positive. I've never even had a guest ask me about it before booking, and I've hosted guests from all over the world, so I am not 100% convinced that so many people are allergic/sensitive, although I know that's not a very PC thing to say.

I don't use fabric fresheners as a replacement for things being clean but I find them useful for things that you are not supposed to wash, like certain upholstery and rugs. I also have some silk curtains that I can't just chuck in the washing machine in between every stay. 

I do, however, try to reduce the use of chemicals in the house and so old fashioned stuff like white distilled vinegar and soap flakes make a regular appearance in my cleaning and laundry routine. I don't know much about 'natural' fabric fresheners, but at the moment, I'm using one from a British company called The Posh House.

It's a relatively new brand and I am not sure if it's available in the US. It claims to be organic, but like @Gillian166 says, some of these terms can be a bit misleading or vague. Anyway, I thought I would give it a go as I bought a set of products from TK Maxx (including fabric stain removers, mattress cleaners etc) for a heavily discounted price.

The brand does a range of fresheners in different scents (the one I have is 'moon lily and rose petal'). The bottles are small, but the product is quite concentrated compared to the Febreeze type ones, so a little goes a long way. I definitely use them in moderation. The packaging is lovely too, but the nozzle is actually a bit rubbish to use. I don't think they do refills, which is  a shame, although I'm not 100% sure about that.

Screenshot 2022-12-17 at 18.05.02.png

Kristin108
Level 10
Scotts Mills, OR

I would be very cautious with using a 'Fabric Refresher', as there really isn't any such thing... Most products like that are very toxic and many people have eligeric reactions.

If I checked into a place that had been sprayed, I would not be able to stay there...

You are better off deep cleaning your upholstery, or use quality slipcovers and duvet covers that can be washed.  

And NEVER use on bed sheets!