Furniture Arrangement for the Main Living Areas

Answered!
Linda3345
Level 10
Corning, NY

Furniture Arrangement for the Main Living Areas

I'm wondering in general if a group of 6-8 people that would be booking our Air Bnb, would rather have one large sitting area, or have 2 areas where different activities (example: TV watching, and conversations around the fireplace) could be happening? 

I have a large L-shaped room for living and dining, and some cozy furniture, but one issue is that the furniture is not all matching each other, so separating it would help with the color scheme, also. 

1 Best Answer

@Linda3345  I have to say, @Brian2036  has perfectly expressed what I think is the most important thing a new host can do to set up a new accommodation:  create the home that you would choose to book if you were the guest. If your current furniture setup is adapted to the way your family has already been enjoying the home, I doubt it can be improved upon by making the furniture match more. 

I'm going to hazard a guess that you come from a generation of people that went to different rooms to have separate activities. But now, the vast majority of your guests will have devices in their pockets that make it pretty irrelevant which room of the house they're in - a group of 8 people sitting in front of a TV and/or a fireplace can interact with or isolate from each other to any degree they want simply by pulling out their phones. All you really have to do to optimize this is have a fast WiFi connection, and then people can engage with or ignore each other at their leisure no matter how the rooms are laid out.

Color schemes - they're very helpful in creating eye-catching photos for your listing, so that's worth putting some effort into. They don't tend to weigh heavily on guests' minds after they check in, though. I've seen thousands of petty complaints in reviews over the years, but I can't think of a single one where the guest felt that their holiday was disrupted by a rug not matching the sofa. 

View Best Answer in original post

11 Replies 11
Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Linda3345 

As Ricky Nelson said after the Garden Party:

”If you can’t please everyone 

Then you got to please yourself.”

Decorate the way you would want it if you were staying there.

People will most likely drag the furniture around to suit themselves and will not feel obligated to put it back before they leave no matter what you do.

Brian, this seems like excellent advice, and it relieves me of stressing out over the "perfect arrangement". I'm just going to try something, and then see what happens. 

I am furnishing ours with decent secondhand furniture. We've got some nice clean comfy pieces now, and I agree with not spending thousands buying brand-new furniture. This is how we live anyway, and I'm finding it makes even more sense now that buying furniture new in our area means waiting 3-6 months for delivery! 

Thank you so much for great advice!

@Linda3345  I have to say, @Brian2036  has perfectly expressed what I think is the most important thing a new host can do to set up a new accommodation:  create the home that you would choose to book if you were the guest. If your current furniture setup is adapted to the way your family has already been enjoying the home, I doubt it can be improved upon by making the furniture match more. 

I'm going to hazard a guess that you come from a generation of people that went to different rooms to have separate activities. But now, the vast majority of your guests will have devices in their pockets that make it pretty irrelevant which room of the house they're in - a group of 8 people sitting in front of a TV and/or a fireplace can interact with or isolate from each other to any degree they want simply by pulling out their phones. All you really have to do to optimize this is have a fast WiFi connection, and then people can engage with or ignore each other at their leisure no matter how the rooms are laid out.

Color schemes - they're very helpful in creating eye-catching photos for your listing, so that's worth putting some effort into. They don't tend to weigh heavily on guests' minds after they check in, though. I've seen thousands of petty complaints in reviews over the years, but I can't think of a single one where the guest felt that their holiday was disrupted by a rug not matching the sofa. 

Ha, ha! You are so right about the generational thing, where one would retreat in order to be "alone". I know from my young adult children that they do not consider it rude to be on their phones right in the same room with other people. Thanks for helping me think that through, and how people might be using the space. 

I'm planning to arrange it now with the 2 color schemes separated, so they would not show up in the same photo, and I think that will make for some good photos. 

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Anonymous @Linda3345 :

I’m really glad we decided to go with a “shabby-chic” decor rather than attempting something more ostentatious.

Most of the furniture came from garage sales or thrift stores.image.jpg

Anyone who doesn’t like can. . . You know.

I’d really hate to spend thousands on decorating only to have some pig wallow around on the furniture with filthy clothes and muddy boots.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

I think the best is if there are 2 areas... 1 table and chairs to eat together and then some sofa / relax area with TV

At least that's how we arranged it

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Linda3345  Put felt pads under the legs of furniture. Guests will move things around and it will keep your floors from getting scratched up. It also helps for sliding things around when cleaning.

Good advice! Thank you. Adding felt pads on all furniture will ensure that I don't need to worry when guests do move furniture around. I do want them to feel at home to do so. Thanks!

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Linda3345 

You’re doing yourself a really big favor by coming to this forum.

You’re helping a lot of other hosts at the same time.

I have learned some extremely valuable things in just a few days and now I wish I had started much sooner.

In my opinion this is one of the most important benefits Airbnb provides.

THANK YOU ALL and I wish you the utmost success.

@Linda3345 

Felt pads on bottoms on legs of ALL furniture and slip covers on sofas/couches are a must~ 😁

Do you have your favorite slip covers to recommend?   I've never been pleased with any I have tried in the past. Thanks.