General Question

Sarah4643
Level 2
Stow, MA

General Question

A host of another Airbnb in the same town as mine has basically copied my listing re the description of the property. It is copied almost word for word. 
Although I appreciate that copying is the highest form of flattery, I am irritated that they couldn’t even write their own description. Can I do anything about this?

5 Replies 5
Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Sarah4643   Sadly I don’t think there is anything you can do to change their listing.  However, you can take the opportunity to be creative and ‘revamp’ yours adding in some unique features you provide into your description that they will be unable to copy unless they provide the same.

Thanks. Great idea! 
I was considering messaging them through their Airbnb  listing to welcome them to the community (it’s a new listing) and offer to help them re write their description. 

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Sarah4643   I had a copycat as well.  Because I had multiple listings to monitor, I was on the platform daily.  So I wrote several different descriptions (changed the order of amenities, wording, what to emphasize) for the listing she was copying and would cut, copy and paste the different description weekly.  Yes, it was a PITA on my part, but I was finally able to deter the copycat and still maintain excellent bookings.  

Many new hosts have no clue how to write a decent description and will copy word for word another property that sounds like theirs.  It is unfortunate, especially when you are trying to stand out from the crowd.  A guest would have no idea who is copying whom. If you do choose to reach out to this person, be careful.  You may not be regarded as the helpful host that you are trying to be.

Thanks @Lorna170 

I’ve taken your advice and have re written our listing …one hopes she doesn’t copy it again!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Personally I would message her and say although you appreciate the flattery of her copying your listing - it's likely to lead to confusion amongst guests, so would she review hers and change hers so it reflects her personal style and her listing @Sarah4643