Ground rules/respecting neighbors/neighborhood

Ground rules/respecting neighbors/neighborhood

We are continously having this problem with about 90% of our guests. It's a side bedroom we airbnb with ose. Nearly all of them seem to be in and out in and out ALLL NIGHT LONG, even weekdays. 1 am 2 am 3 am 4 am etc etc. Draws negative attention to the house and alarms neighbors

Most seem to be going back n forth to their cars for whatever ever reason but it is insanely baffling. Can I make home rules to mitigate this it's sooo strange.

14 Replies 14
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You can add in house rules re quiet time at night /early hours 

it does seem odd that most of your guests are constantly going in and out to their cars in the early hours .

what reasons do guests give for staying with you ?

when you show guests around the suite do you remind them that they should keep noise to a minimum at night? 

@Jonathan2335 

Most of the one with the strange behavior say "visiting family" seems to be the standard explanation. Guess it blinds the host like myself. The current occupant is deffinately not here for family.  It is truly mind boggling. The only experience ivr had with behavior like that was a crackhead tenant of mine who'd do that. But I obv can't imagine all these people are druggies... 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Have you spoken to them about your neighbours being disturbed by frequent visits to their car at night to see what they say @Jonathan2335 

No these people are short term guests. If that were the case I'd be having convos every other day about it.

Ross869
Level 4
Navarre, FL

Yes @Jonathan2335, if you haven’t done so yet schedule a house rules message in the scheduled messages function. You can create this on your own, it is very easy And you can set it to send prior to them checking in. Additionally, I would create a print out and post it on a wall or somewhere visible that states that throughout of the entrance/exit should be limited after a specified time period. 

Bronwyn100
Level 7
Hardys Bay, Australia

@Jonathan2335 Put CCTV at the door and add house rule that neighbors are not to be disturbed between 11pm and 7am. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Jonathan2335 is your place different in some ways to others in the area? I am thinking smaller or cheaper?  I don't think house rules will help you if you are, for some bizarre reason, attracting a strange clientele. I would concentrate on trying to figure out the underlying issue here.

Yes it is smaller and cheaper. It's a nice big bedroom with attached bathroom

Outside entrance so they are seperate from out living area. We fluctuat around 70$ a night 30$ cleaning fee. We were suspecting g that could be a reason. But if I bump to high I think we won't get anyone.

@Jonathan2335.

This is not normal guest behaviour. You permit single night stays. Private entrance is mentioned in a third of your reviews. I suggest:

1. immediately update your House Rule quiet hours (10pm-7am) and communicate this with every booking.

2. Update House Rules to state all visitors must be pre approved by host and depart by 10pm to ensure neighbours quiet enjoyment (check this start time aligns with local laws).

3. Get cameras. If you cant afford a wired system get a fake one and make sure its prominently  visible from the street and driveway with a sign about security monitoring.

4. Increase min stays to 2 nights: you will attract a more stable guest

As to why its happening I could suggest the obvious or it might be that as its overnight they just dont know how to bring their stuff inside in one go.

If you do nothing you may find the problems escalate into formal complaints and you risk being shut down by the local authorities.

Dont be afraid to enforce the rules- its your place.

Checking in is 3pm out is 11 am they don't have to depart by 10pm. I do have visible cameras and it's in the listing. Will try to 2 night minimum. I updated my house rule maybe you can look and give me your opinion

It's worded somewhat aggressive but I do not care at this point. We can't keep getting guests like this. Tell me what you think. Thank you

And it's not them coming in that's the problem. They usually bring their stuff in at 3pm. And then who knows what but they're in and out allll night long to the street/car and back. Couple minutes here couple there. It is likely the obvious so we need to end that asap

@Jonathan2335 If your cameras are showing them bringing different people in and out then it is obvious what is happening. Do you have a helpful local police force? Ours wouldn't care but I remember when we lived in the USA the local police would willingly park up outside trouble spots to deter illegal behaviour.

Kelly1313
Level 2
The Woodlands, TX

Jonathan, we had a similar problem with guests bringing “unregistered” guests to our large home on 10 acres.  Like you, we didn’t want to price ourselves out of the market and we didn’t want to block 1 night stays, as this is our only income now that we are retired, so we added cameras outdoors and changed our policy to allow for 6 guests at the regular rate, to keep the rate low, and any additional persons onsite for any reason or length of time we charge $35 per person, per day and they must be registered 2 days prior, or they are not allowed to come.

We also require a copy of their photo ID at check in to be sent or shown.  As these are listed under the rules section, if they don’t comply, we ask them to leave.  This solved our problem for the most part.

You could put a limit of 2 guests, or 4, or whatever you prefer, and must be registered 2 days prior and MUST show / text valid photo ID for all guests 18+.  That should stop the criminal element. We have had people book for other people (who are banned or underage) so you should check it against the listing photo.  We have also had guests leave illegal drugs in drawers, where a child could reach, and where the housekeeping staff did not find (I did thankfully) so we added “no guests allowed on-site with a criminal record”. It’s harsh but necessary for the safety of all guests. 

It could be they are going out to smoke cigarettes- our European guests typically step out to smoke on the patio every 30 min for a few minutes. 

THANKFULLY 99% of all guests are amazing wonderful human beings!

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hey @Jonathan2335

Have you found a resolution or have any of the comments below offered some support? It'll be great to hear how you get on! 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines