Guest smoked in bathroom, seeking cleaning advise

Answered!
Kimberly406
Level 3
Melbourne, FL

Guest smoked in bathroom, seeking cleaning advise

Help! We have another guest coming and the one who just check out, smoked in the bathroom with the door shut. Everything in the bathroom smells of cigarettes and the next guest is expecting a smoke free unit. Looks like we will be washing walls and floors tonight. Any advise on how others handled this would be great! I called Airbnb but sounds like they can alway side with the guest so not thinking we will get the security deposit we request in our listing for issues like this. 

1 Best Answer
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Kimberly406 

You've already painted the walls, so probably too late for this, but did you try cleaning them first with sugar soap? I tend to use this before painting any walls or woodwork as it's much more effective than household cleaning products.

Bicarbonate of soda (or baking soda) is also supposed to be good at absorbing smells. I don't know how effective it would be in an extreme situation like this, but might be worth a try. Fill some bowls with it and leave it in the bathroom as long as you can before the new guests check in.

View Best Answer in original post

17 Replies 17
Trude0
Level 10
Stockholm County, Sweden

Be careful with onions! We had an annoying smell in our daughter’s bathroom after the roof was painted. I know paint for bathrooms/wet areas can smell more, and differently, but this was BAD, for weeks. 

I read about the onion trick, and tried it. With the result that the bathroom now smelled of paint - and onion. Daughter not too pleased…😂

I can send you some chlorine dioxide tablets that you place in water in a plastic bowl with a bubble machine that will guarantee the odor is removed. Same product that Enterprise car rental uses. I can send you more info. 

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Kimberly406 ,

Since it has been a while, Were you able to find any resolution to this situation?

Did you manage to get rid of the smell?

Can’t find what you’re searching for? start a conversation

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines