Hot Tub rules....we just installed a hot tub and need advice on keeping clean and what rules to implement

Jalene1
Level 2
Jacksonville, FL

Hot Tub rules....we just installed a hot tub and need advice on keeping clean and what rules to implement

We just installed a hot tub and are looking for advice on what rules we need to implement....would love to see others' list.  Can we ask them to put chemicals in after each use, do you charge for use, how do you ensure only those that paid to use it are using it.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

5 Replies 5
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Jalene1   As an owner with several properties all with hot tubs, DO NOT allow guests to add chemicals (NEVER EVER) to the Hot Tub.   We charge for use only during the winter months when leaving the cover off packs a heck of an electric bill.  Otherwise, we assume that all guests use the hot tub, and our rates reflect that.  We charge an additional $35.00 cleaning fee per rental for housekeeping to empty, scrub out and refill the hot tub (we are on a spring water well) This has greatly reduced the complaints of dirty water, bites and rashes from not so great guests looking for a free vacation.  Our hot tubs are 4 man, and they are refilled as of 11 AM and at temperature by 6 PM.  

Our Rental Contract has the following:

HOT TUB AVAILABILITY: The hot tub availability is seasonal. Unless requested at booking, the hot tub will not be available during the winter months of January, February and March. When requested for rentals during the afore-mentioned months, a fee may be assessed for the operation and maintenance of the hot tub. The hot tub is serviced, cleaned and chemically balanced before each rental.

WAIVER OF LIABILITY FOR HOT TUB AND AMENITIES: Guest understands that there are special health risks that may be involved in using the hot tub, as well as safety risks using other areas of the cabin (fire pit, barbeque and firebox as examples). In particular, he or she understands that there are potential dangers that these amenities may present to children who are not carefully supervised as well as danger to any person using the hot tub if a person has health risks, is intoxicated or using any kind of drugs or medication, or if pregnant. The hot tub should be kept at a temperature that is less than 104 for personal safety. Guest agrees to explain the risks of using the amenities and hot tub to any guests at the cabin and to be fully and solely responsible for any accidents, medical conditions or injuries his or her guests may incur. Guest understands the risks discussed above and agrees that he or she will assume all responsibility for his or herself and their guests for the consequences of those risks.

Guest agrees to waive any claim whatsoever against Owner for accidents, medical conditions or claims arising from his or her own use or guests’ use of the cabin amenities or hot tub. Guest also understands and agrees that he or she is responsible and liable and will pay Owner upon request for any damages that occur to the cabin amenities and hot tub and its support equipment through his or her own or guests’ misuse and/or negligence, for example, but not limited to, using the incorrect detergents in the dishwasher or clothes washer, neglecting to extinguish all fires in the grill or fire pit, failing to replace and secure the hot tub cover, walking on or otherwise damaging the hot tub cover, or damaging the hot tub filtration system with foreign objects, soaps or oils, or causing excessive water overflow.

Thank you for this info!  We just got a hot tub at our rental and I'm searching for what to post and add to our rentals now to share all the hot tub details needed for guests.

Do you have them sign an agreement or just post this on your listings?

@Jill1158  We do not post this on the listing but include it in the separate rental contract that is sent to all guests who book with us.   We send it via the platform disguised guest email from our property email address, recommending that the guest review the contract and either agree to it by continuing with the rental or cancel their reservation.

In NC, if a guest receives our contract and does not cancel their booking, they are presumed to be in agreement with the terms and conditions, even if not signed or sent back.

Nicole3035
Level 1
Massachusetts, United States

hello! 

I know that this is a two year old thread but I thought that I would throw my 2 cents into the mix:

We have a rental on Cape Cod and have a hot tub. We recently installed a ConvertaLift system. It is a custom hot tub cover and cover lifter system. It allows the cover to be removed with the touch of a button - a remote control. You can open and close the cover from inside the house.   

Additionally the cover has a locking mechanism that is only able to be opened if you have the remote control (or manually with the key).   We have decided to charge for the tub because of the increase in electrical, water, chemical, and cleaning costs.   

We keep the key / remote control in a lock box on the exterior of the house. Only guests who pay the fee ($150 per stay) and sign our liability waiver are given the access to the remote control in the lock box. 

It is impossible to open the hot tub cover without the remote control / key.  

Here is a link to the company that makes this type of cover lifter. Heads up.....it is not cheap! 

**[Link removed due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines ]

The company is out of Connecticut so the shipping to us was not expensive. I don't know what it would cost to ship to other parts of the country. 

You could also try locking the electrical box to the hot tub and only turning on the breaker for paying and waiver signing guests. We considered doing this with our hot tub. However, we offer this amenity all year long 365 days a year.   The cost to winterize the hot tub (drain of water and blow out the jet lines) and then refill it with water and pay the electrical cost to get up to 100 degrees temperature just for a single group of guests for a 4 night minimum stay is simply not worth the effort and cost. Every time the hot tub goes from <50 degrees up to 100+ degrees, it takes a huge amount of energy to do this.  We completely drain the hot tub between week-long summertime guests because (yuck!) and for our own liability. However, to refill the tub, we use our outdoor shower line with hot water. It takes less time to refill the hot water tank than it does to heat the hot tub all the way back up.   I've also seen people use mobile on demand hot water tanks. They are used to clean livestock and horses but could be used to fill a hot tub quickly with hot water. they run about 300-400$

Hi! how did you get your Convertalift installed? I'm also based in Massachusetts, but have had a really hard time finding a local dealer to buy from and get it installed on my tub. The manufacturer out of Connecticut doesn't appear to sell direct to consumer.