How do you protect your walls from scuff marks from guests bags?

Answered!
Tamia13
Level 2
Quito, Ecuador

How do you protect your walls from scuff marks from guests bags?

Hello everybody! I’ve been hosting a suite in North Central Quito for about a month, and I’ve found that every time there’s a guest, afterwards there are new scuff marks on the walls. Most of them on the entrance, but also on different parts of the home, and my guess is that they drag their luggage inside and it leaves scuff marks on the wall. Some of them are really notorious and the ones we can’t wash away are starting to make my place look less nice. Have you had this problem before? What have you done to protect your walls? I’m considering wood paneling or something similar. (I’ve spoken with all the guests about it and all say they haven’t noticed and don’t know anything, and it happens often enough that it might be something of a common denominator for traveling guests eg. luggage) Let me know your thoughts!

1 Best Answer

@Tamia13 We keep small pots of paint/foam brush in the apartment for this reason …scuff mark touch up.  We have 50/50 success with magic eraser, have not tried pink goop.. 

Monthly in our “deep clean” we check for paint touch ups, unless housekeeping tells us- emergency..then we address that day.

In terms of the wood at the door; gets dinged, which is harder to fix vs. paint. 

View Best Answer in original post

19 Replies 19
Lorina14
Level 10
Bellevue, WA

@Tamia13 

We use the Mr. Clean magic eraser to clean off scuff marks and it works like a charm. There is also something called the pink stuff (you can find this on Amazon) and it gets out things as well (grout stains, coffee stains in the counter tops, wall stains). Do know that the magic eraser needs to be wet when addressing the issue. A putty/small spackle kit is helpful for the bigger dings in the walls.

I have wood cabin. But good question! 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Washable paint. Put up something against the area being scuffed like cladding ? @Tamia13 

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Tamia13 

Agree magic eraser gets a lot of them off. Every three months go around with touch up paint.

With a profile pic like mine it's best to keep everything maintained and in pristine condition. YMMV

@Tamia13 We keep small pots of paint/foam brush in the apartment for this reason …scuff mark touch up.  We have 50/50 success with magic eraser, have not tried pink goop.. 

Monthly in our “deep clean” we check for paint touch ups, unless housekeeping tells us- emergency..then we address that day.

In terms of the wood at the door; gets dinged, which is harder to fix vs. paint. 

I might try to keep a pot of paint in the suite as well! I’d like to try the magic eraser or the pink goop, but I’d have to order it online since they don’t sell it in Ecuador. For the time being, the person that’s helping me clean has been able to get most scuff marks out, but some are just there to stay until I’m able to get the same paint! Something a professional told me is to try a file them a bit? (he might do it for me cause I think there’s a trick to it) and that apparently helps since paint might not always look seamless? not sure, will let you know! 

You’re right on the wood. Better not to invest on that.

@Tamia13 These happen, accidentally in general, always keep a a brush and a paint and after some time, revise the patches 🤷🧞

Kyle926
Level 2
Flaxton, Australia

@Tamia13 Yes wood paneling is a solution. I just clean scuff marks off using a magic wall block each exit clean. Or try a sign on the outside of the door asking guests to be careful not to scuff walls with luggage.

Mariya60
Level 2
Indooroopilly, Australia

I think this is a common problem.

All guests have luggage and are moving through your space for the first time, plus they may be tired when they arrive and in a hurry when they leave. That's when accidents are most likely to happen.

We clean obvious marks between guests and in 12 months or so  have only needed to sand and repaint one spot one time so I think that's pretty good.

Good luck!

Jermain40
Level 4
St. Louis, MO

@Tamia13 This happens more for me than not unfortunately.  I use a magic eraser on most and keep a can of extra paint for the harder spots. 

Yes 🙌🏻, the magic eraser. And I get them from Dollar Tree. They work on floor scuff, soap scum and of course wall scuffs.

Bella954
Level 1
Chicago, IL

I usually paint my entrances in darker colors 

Brian3091
Level 1
Charleston, SC

A semi gloss paint may help.  Keep touch up paint handy all the time.   Hit it when need be.  Is the wall drywall?

Thanks for your question. The marks that cannot be removed by scrubbing will simply accumulate.

After the situation becomes unsightly a fresh coat of paint squarely addresses the issue. Regular painting is required in some places.

Scuff marks can also be minimized by strategically placing furniture to direct foot traffic. With darker colored paint the marks may be less noticable. Metal kick plates are used to protect doors from being marked and damaged.