Answered!
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How important is lighting to you?

9d40c05a-eba8-469d-9c9f-d08de30b9e9d.jpg

Hello everyone, 

One of the key roles of lighting in an interior setting is probably functionality. There are many types of lights, and most likely the lighting one picks needs to suit a purpose, whether that’s to act as decoration, create an atmosphere, or simply provide ample brightness. Some of you might also pay particular attention to how energy hungry a lighting fixture is (being environmentally-conscious here). 

Thinking about desks and other work areas, you might for example lean towards bright, task-specific lighting whereas in a cosy living room, you might explore more warm and atmospheric options … there’s a lot to consider!

How important is lighting to you?💡

What do you look for when choosing the right lighting for your home? 

Feel free to share photos of your designs!

Quincy

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

1 Best Answer
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Quincy 

I've a bit of a sucker for style over substance. For me, lighting should be beautiful as well as practical and sometimes I have to remind myself to focus a bit more on the latter! 

I love chandeliers, and have them in almost every room of my house, even one one the bathrooms (you can just see a bit of it here) and yes, I have had this approved as legal for my electrical safety certificate. 

ffea3245-7ba2-4dfd-9758-0f3d9a86af32.jpg

In the living room, I have the most enormous chandelier. It's four foot high. When I bought it, the builders said, "You're not furnishing Buckingham Palace you know..." but with the high ceilings, I thought I could get away with it 🙂 On the ground floor, the ceilings are not very high, so apart from the chandeliers over the dining table (where no one is going to hit their head), I've had to go for flush lighting on the ceilings and wall lights.

On the practical side, I really think that a bedside lamp is an absolute must. Mine are quite pretty, but there are so many affordable options out there, I just don't understand any host that doesn't provide a bedside table and lamp.

On the less practical side, I also have some lights that are purely decorative. In one of the bedrooms, I have a cherry blossom light similar to the below trailing around the side of a mirror. It serves little purpose other than being pretty and I have added a couple of little (fake) birdies to the branches as the room has a little bit of a bird theme.

6aa132fe29d172b0ad829ea7b8e9f175--cherry-blossoms-blossom-trees.jpeg

View Best Answer in original post

34 Replies 34
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This looks great @John5097! I have LED lights all over the place as well. I've also purchased a few floor lamps that emit a soft/warm light (but not too dark). No way you met someone from Moonshiners! I used to watch that on Discovery channel years ago! 

-----

Thanks @Quincy ! 

I had a lot of options with the renovation. The LED over head lights were a game changer as they can be controlled by a dimmer switch. The florescent bulbs didn't have dimer option and are just on or off. So would need the old incandescent bulbs for dimer option with would use 10x more electricity. 

I use LED in my living area but just use some standing lamps and directional reading lamps by the couch. So if I was staying in an Airbnb I would be fine with standing lamps. 

What I don't like is exposed lights. Even one of the overhead light fixtures I only use when loading laundry then turn if off. So if I was at a listing would suggest lamps with lamp shades if they didn't have those. 

The can lights with dimmers don't bother me at all. I also like the more warm temperature and not the blue. They are affordable so worked out and don't need lamps that fall over, break, etc. Guest like to adjust the dimmers even for the bathroom. I usually have to turn it up when cleaning.  

Yes, I met Bill who was Josh's partner until they got in a fight. lol He was really helpful and doing carpentry work in the area. 🙂 Occasionally I watch that show as I like the area. It must be scripted to some extent but they are real people! 

Lighting is so important for feeling free and relax the eyes. A good lightening house, chalet, apartment, street feels good and safe and doesn't scare you. I love lights.

AnitaCol ALto angolo pranzo.jpg

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I love the setup you have there @Anita1104!

-----

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Btw, speaking of lightning: amazon.com/ASALL-Waterproof-Bluetooth-Conversion-Application/dp/B09DY48FMG/ref=rvi_sccl_1/132-7993122-6196432?pd_rd_w=SCl6z&content-id=amzn1.sym.f5690a4d-f2bb-45d9-9d1b-736fee412437&pf_rd_p=f5690a4d-f2bb-45d9-9d1b-736fee412437&pf_rd_r=KBZDG2E44M07T08Y4SXS&pd_rd_wg=vr3i0&pd_rd_r=84e9305d-56a2-4939-b4a8-575e9fbeacb9&pd_rd_i=B09DY48FMG&psc=1

There is an endless choice of them today and they bring instant music (Bluetooth) to anywhere in a home. Surprisingly tough and excellent sound.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Interesting! I think I've seen IKEA also sell those lights that have built in Sonos speakers/bluetooth @Fred13 

Quincy_0-1659540794134.jpeg

-----

Heather133
Level 10
Stowe, VT

I think this is one of the reasons it's important to spend time "living" in your space. Often when I'm opening a home for an arrival, I'll sit down for a moment to check messages and invariably I notice something I hadn't during a walk through. You really get a better feel for where additional lighting would be welcome.

I also turn almost every light on an hour or so before guests arrive. I think it's easier for guests to find a switch to turn off a light than it is to turn one on! It's also inviting to the guest walking in.

Our outside lights are left on with a motion sensor bulb installed to light up when guests arrive. They are in downlight fixtures so as not to cause light pollution for the wildlife nearby.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Quincy 

I've a bit of a sucker for style over substance. For me, lighting should be beautiful as well as practical and sometimes I have to remind myself to focus a bit more on the latter! 

I love chandeliers, and have them in almost every room of my house, even one one the bathrooms (you can just see a bit of it here) and yes, I have had this approved as legal for my electrical safety certificate. 

ffea3245-7ba2-4dfd-9758-0f3d9a86af32.jpg

In the living room, I have the most enormous chandelier. It's four foot high. When I bought it, the builders said, "You're not furnishing Buckingham Palace you know..." but with the high ceilings, I thought I could get away with it 🙂 On the ground floor, the ceilings are not very high, so apart from the chandeliers over the dining table (where no one is going to hit their head), I've had to go for flush lighting on the ceilings and wall lights.

On the practical side, I really think that a bedside lamp is an absolute must. Mine are quite pretty, but there are so many affordable options out there, I just don't understand any host that doesn't provide a bedside table and lamp.

On the less practical side, I also have some lights that are purely decorative. In one of the bedrooms, I have a cherry blossom light similar to the below trailing around the side of a mirror. It serves little purpose other than being pretty and I have added a couple of little (fake) birdies to the branches as the room has a little bit of a bird theme.

6aa132fe29d172b0ad829ea7b8e9f175--cherry-blossoms-blossom-trees.jpeg

@Huma0 Could I ask where you got the branch lights? They're stunning!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Stephanie1624 

I bought the light years ago from Habitat and it's called the Cherry Blossom Light by Tsé Tsé for Habitat. I don't think they sell them anymore, but you might be able to pick one up on Ebay or FB Marketplace etc.

People do seem to be charging a lot for them, even though they are used. I think the original price was around £50 and it came with some spare little bulbs, which I've not had to replace yet as it's not something that guests turn on all the time.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I love the natural light @Huma0! I wish I had a bit more of that in my bathroom 👀. Also, my wife mentioned that the cherry blossom lights are lovely 😊. Good to know where you got them from as she might do some searching 😉

-----

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Quincy @Stephanie1624 

That photo was of a similar light as I couldn't find it at Habitat anymore. The one I have is a bit more elaborate and has a silver, rather than black, base. 

When the guest in that room checks out, I will try to remember to take a photo of it. It's not in the listing photos as it was added later.

In the bathroom, I opted for window film rather than blinds as I personally like the light flooding in from the big windows. It also means one less thing to clean as you only need to clean the windows and not dust gathering blinds as well. In one of the bedrooms, there are large windows with slatted shutters. I'm not joking when I say it takes at least 30 minutes to dust just the shutters in that room!

Ted307
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

@Quincy 

We think lighting is very important, too. We put a hanging light over the bedside table due to limited space.

Ted & Chris
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Interesting! Do you have a photo of this? 👀 @Ted307 

-----

I'm sorry tried it all if you don't have natural sun can't work remote it really depresses and fatigue u