Is it reasonable to ask a host to provide a frying pan?

Answered!
Kerrick0
Level 1
Berkeley, CA

Is it reasonable to ask a host to provide a frying pan?

My girlfriend and I are staying in a listing with a kitchen that came with a single cooking pot (and no other cookware). I asked the host if they could provide a frying pan so that I can cook things that aren't easy to do in the pot, and after a bit of back-and-forth the host brought a $3.50 pan from IKEA. The pan didn't work however because the stovetop is induction and the pan is aluminum, so I asked if they could provide a suitable one, and they pushed back saying that the price of IKEA induction pans (which are around $20-$30) is above their expenses.

I think $20 is a reasonable amount to pay to provide a frying pan, given that it's standard at every other AirBnB I've stayed at, and we payed $1,449.80 all-in ($1218.84 not including cleaning and AirBnB fees) for our 33-day stay at the listing. Plus, they are not buying the pan for me; future guests will also be able to use it.

Is this a reasonable request?

1 Best Answer
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Inna22 

Inna, this particular case is not whether a host provides cookware or not.....some do, some don't. I agree it is unfair for guests to ask or demand things which a host does not provide and does not be seen to provide. You can't just cane a host for not providing an espresso coffee machine when one is not advertised in the listing.

In this instance however, the host does provide cookware, he/she provides an induction cooktop and an induction cooking pot, so they obviously understand the difference......what utensils are required to use with induction cooking.

When the host was asked to provide a frypan he/she did.....but provided a cheap aluminium frypan that would not be suitable for an induction cooktop  with the ridiculous excuse that this was as far as the budget would stretch! The host was prepared to compromise their supplied equipment and annoy a guest for a handful of dollars.

Guests travel, and hosts like this make us all look stupid, they make the platform look stupid and for that reason do need to be called out. This is not a matter of a simple ommision, this is someone who has no right to be an STR host.....let him get a job managing a car park where all he needs to do is rent out and empty space....and stop making the rest of us look stupid!

@Kerrick0 

Cheers........Rob

View Best Answer in original post

28 Replies 28
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Kerrick0 The answer to your question depends on how the listing was described. That said it is rather stupid of the host not to provide a pan as the lack of one is likely to generate poor reviews at best.

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

I agree with @Mike-And-Jane0 @Kerrick0 , the host should supply appropriate use items based on their listing, if they have an induction cooktop, they should supply tools that work worth with it, the cheap pan they provided after asking is like me leaving a motor boat for guests to use in my pond that is only 50' wide.  its actually a slap in the face that the person your dealing with doesn't know their own listing well enough to understand the futility of their un-assistance.  For the cost of your booking, they should have brought you a whole set of inductance rated pans not one that wont actually heat.   I see a 4* or below rating in their near future when you check out, keep it honest and the next guests will probably not have the same problem.   Safe travels, JR

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Kerrick0 

You say that the host provides a cooking pot and an induction cooktop so, there is obviously sanctioned cooking facilities in the listing, just a lack of basic equipment to use with those facilities! 

If you asked 100 people on seeing a listing with kitchen facilities including cooking if they would expect a frypan to be supplied, 97 of them would say yes!

The host has drawn his line in the sand and said that his budget won't stretch to an induction suitable frypan which to me is an incredibly shortsighted stance.

Kerrick, I would buy a suitable copper based frypan yourself, say nothing further to the host about it and take the pan with you when you leave.....it's always handy to have another frypan. When review time comes around I would state in your review the host was reluctant to supply basic essentials for his advertised amenities which considerably compromised the functioning of your stay, and you would not recommend the host to other guests.

That may make the host realise he has a duty to care for the guests needs. It's like supplying bread for toasting....but no toaster.....sort of stupid when you think about it! 

Cheers.......Rob

Bronwyn38
Level 10
Wandandian, Australia

My personal angle on this one is tht I would definitely have provided a frying pan, and I do, in both my units, even my tiny one that doesn't even have a kitchen (but an induction hotplate) has two sized pots, a small elec frypan and a medium sized hand held, plus an egg sized one!!! They seem pretty mean... as you suggest, what's an investment of $20-30 for a utensil that will last years for you and many guests after you! 

@Kerrick0 I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that the kitchen (when offered as an amenity) will contain a full set of cookware. This host does not seem to have put much thought into the details.

However, as a guest, almost every time I've stayed in a short-term rental - even some of the costlier ones - I've found myself buying something that was "essential" to me but apparently not the host.  I'd much rather just go shopping myself to get the frying pan I'd most enjoy using for a month than demand that the host buy something for me. That would be by far the easiest solution to your problem, when the alternative is to escalate the issue into an annoyance and likely conflict. You don't want to be already profiled as a high-maintenance guest, if something more important comes up that genuinely needs the host's attention and can't be resolved with a small purchase.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

It seems strange that the host would have a kitchen for guests, but not provide adequate cookware and as others have said, seems cheap of him/her not to be willing to spend what amounts to about 1 day of your booking payment on a frying pan to keep the guests happy (and of course it would get used by future guests).

However, it's possible that under the amenities list for this place, that the host didn't state that he provides cookware. Did you check on that? As a guest, you can only expect to be provided with what the host states in the listing description that he provides, regardless of whether those things were provided in the other Airbnbs you stayed at or not. Every Airbnb is unique and what one host provides, another may not. The important thing is that the amenities list is accurate and that the guest reads it and is aware of what to expect. If it says they provide cookware, then only one pot is really pushing the limits of what that would mean to pretty much anyone.

@Kerrick0

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

If the place is listed with "full kitchen" and "guests can cook their own meals", it means, that there must have everything, including salt, pepper and some spices.

But my experience says, that providing inadequate cookware is a very common issue everywhere. Some people just don't think when they are buying a cookware. In your case- aluminum pan for induction stovetop or a baking tray, too big for the oven.
Very common issue.

That isn't true. There is no requirement that cookware be provided when checking the amenity "Kitchen" or  "Guests can cook their own meals". All that amenity setting means is that there is a kitchen provided, as opposed to there not being any cooking space or privileges.

Farther down on the Amenities list, under "Kitchen", there are specific things to check, like "Pots and pans", "Salt and pepper", etc. So it can't be assumed by a guest that just because there is a place for them to cook, that certain things are provided, other than a cooktop or stove. The guest needs to read though exactly what is stated as provided under "Kitchen".

Aside from that, I do think it's strange for a host to say that there is a kitchen, but not provide some basic cookware. But it isn't "required".

@Dimitar27

Another thing is, the Amenities tickboxes are constantly changing, and the majority of hosts are not in the habit of editing their listings every time more refined amenity tabs are added.

When kitchen features are important to me as a guest, I tend to comb through the photos and recent reviews for some indication of what to expect. A photo doesn't tell the whole story - you never know what's hiding in the cabinets - but you can usually get a pretty good idea of whether it was stocked thoughtfully or randomly.

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

This host seems to be thinking like a landlord and not a host. While it is not possible for a host to provide every conceivable kitchen gadget (and I have had guests ask for very specific items that I don't stock) one would think a pot, pan, set of dishes and basic utensils would be the minimum. You can get a pretty inexpensive set of cookware on Amazon. I know because that is what we have and it works perfectly.

If the host is rather in the mindset of landlord, no, it would not be usual for him/her to provide these items. Yet another reason why long term stays are a bad idea in m opinion. The lines are far too blurred between vacationer and tenant. In the future OP I might ask exactly what items the host has in their kitchen. We get that question a lot. We have had some guests who travel with their own chef quality knives,  Dutch ovens, mixers and blenders, etc. We don't have those in our space and if its important to a guest who wants to cook or bake, its best that they initiate the conversation.

Julene2
Level 3
IVGID, NV

A month long rental with nothing in the kitchen - especially with appliances requiring special tools? Yes, it is absolutely unreasonable. I would expect such basics in a long term furnished rental. It's the same with utensils, plates, and coffee maker/kettle.  Do you bring your own TP also? Bad host.

@Julene2  sorry I disagree. We were landlords for years and had tenants for a few months to several years. At no time did we furnish cookware or toilet paper. We have had units we rented furnished and empty. Its just not to be expected with a tenant. With a guest? Sure. But in this case if the host is thinking like a landlord they may be puzzled as to why the guest is asking. Or they could just be cheap.

Or both. Thinking like a landlord, but also cheap in not being willing to fork out $25 for a frying pan on a $1219 booking, especially since it could make a difference in a guest saying in their review that the host was responsive and accommodating, or warning future guests that if they want to fry an egg, they'd better bring their own frying pan.  @Laura2592

The question was about Airbnb guests. You are not acting as a landlord but a host and not supplying basics makes you a pretty inconsiderate one. I am also a landlord and of course I don't supply such items for renters. But long stay hotels ( which are your competition for similar stays on Airbnb) would similarly supply equipment. Someone coming to stay in my HOME will have everything to make them comfortable in that environment. I've stayed in monthly rentals in Paris, Berlin, New York etc. I've had coffee, towels, cooking and cleaning supplies - everything I would need to LIVE there except for food (although some left basics in that department also!). So I don't know what you're disagreeing about. No-one should be renting on Airbnb thinking like a landlord. Please remove your listing - and be a landlord! It's bad for all the hosts who make stays comfortable to have a bozo like this one. Trust is earned for us all. A convection cooktop without a working pan? So I stand by my first statement - inconsiderate bad host.