Keep bathroom door closed!!!

Keep bathroom door closed!!!

I have two guest rooms each with dedicated bathroom across hallway from the bedrooms.

I cannot fathom why people don't close door behind them after usage. Is this how they live in their own homes?

I do not want bathroom scents wafting through my home be it shower gel or toilet smells!

So I was wondering if anyone has resorted to placing signs on bathroom doors.

It seems like a ridiculous thing to have to do.

I could easily add it to the house rules but doubt it would have much effect.

One of the rules is not to use towels for make-up removal but it hasn't stopped guests from using them this way.

Recent guest surreptitiously placed the offending towel underneath other towels which I only noticed after they'd checked out.

Anyway, any tips all appreciated.

Many thanks.

9 Replies 9
Rosemary378
Level 1
Portland, OR

I don't have a tip for your bathroom door though monitoring this seems difficult.

You can provide black washcloths for makeup. You could even get some that are embroidered with the label "make-up" to eliminate your lighter colored towels getting ruined.

Thanks @Rosemary378 

Claudia3536
Level 3
Maryville, TN

I would provide the cotton makeup remover pads in an obvious place. They are inexpensive and would prevent ruining your cloths . Or you could provide dark colored cloths on a shelf specifically marked makeup removal. This would effectively differentiate the linens. 

Thanks @Claudia3536 

Just thought of this. I believe that most homes do leave the bathroom door open or at least cracked open so you know when it is unoccupied. If you don’t want this it may be necessary to have a sign on the door to keep it closed or maybe even install a spring like exterior screen doors have to actually pull the door closed. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Adam1846 you could put a self closer on the door if it bothers you this much. We don't shut our bathroom doors and I don't think we are that unusual.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

We don't tend to close the bathroom door in my house either @Adam1846 so it probably is how they live in their own homes 😀😀

I'm a homeshare host and it doesn't bother me if guests leave the bathroom door open. 

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hi @Adam1846, nice to meet you! 👋

I completely understand your frustration and I think adding a sign is a great idea. You could even make it quite homely - like the little 'wash your hands' signs you see. If you do find one/make one, it would be great to see if it improves your experience as a host. 

We live in an older property so leaving the doors open is a habit- we need to allow ventilation throughout the building - but I would personally take note of a sign in a property I was staying in! 

Let us know what route you decide to go down. 😊

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Thanks @Rebecca 

I think I need a sign either side of the door.

I will let you know!