Key lock stuck

Answered!
Robert7098
Level 1
Malvern East, Australia

Key lock stuck

I brought a key lock and when guests went to open they could not. Had to get a friend to cut open. Very frustrating. I need to put in letter box. Any suggestions ..living in Australia and purchased prior on line about $25. 

1 Best Answer
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Robert7098 

You don't give a lot of detail as to what sort of lock this problem lock is, or how you came by it but, if I can just make a couple of general observations.

1/......Stay away from anything online you can't easily return. Although the internet is a great tool, it abounds with products and services that sound too good to be true.....and in many instances are.

2/......When you run a short term rental facility you are dealing with people across all ages and levels of technical ability. The safest option is to keep it simple, that way you minimise the chance of problems happening.

I have been doing this for 8 years and spent most of that time here on he CC and this problem of guest entry not working is a recurring theme. Sure there are smart locks, key-less entry and there are no doubt instances where it works successfully but I can't tell you how many times an arriving guest has said to me...."Ah, thank goodness, a good old fashion key in the lock". They know where they stand!

I have resisted the urge to go high tech, I have a good quality 'Master Locks' deadlock on the cottage entry door which cost me about $25 and I was able to install it myself. I have a lock-box on the wall next to my listing cottage entrance which cost about the same, is self illuminating for night time use.......Robert nothing ever goes wrong with it and every one of my 750+ guests have know exactly how to use it.

IMG20180308201510 b.jpg

So Robert, remember, this is not just something for your convenience, it must be for the guests convenience as well. You obviously either service the cottage yourself between stays or have it serviced by others, you get into a routine after a while with changing the key-code for incoming guests......put this one down to experience and don't try to re-invent the wheel!

Cheers........Rob.

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hi there @Robert7098 I'm sorry about what happened with your key lock. I am tagging some hosts from Australia to see if they have any suggestions for you. @Helen744 @Robin4 @Laurelle3 

Good luck, 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Robert7098
Level 1
Malvern East, Australia

Thx Paula appreciate. 

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Paula and @Robert7098 , sorry don't have much experience with keylocks but as there appears to be with problems with a lock bought on line, my next step would be by one from a local supplier. That way you can ask for assistance, talk about the best product and return it.

Unfortunately, for your reputation with guests you will probably have to pay a price. I know my suggestion is what you already know.  I will be interested as to what others have to say incase I have to go that way one day.

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Robert7098 Lock boxes are easily obtainable at the local hardware Robert . I used them extensively but eventually they can be tampered with either by guests or even local burglars , who will scout for them . I now only give the guest one key , on a big , not easily lost bright tag and hang it in the house ,in the hallway . I tell people to put  it there as they leave and pull the door to behind them . I also attend and meet everyone to show them around the house and only pass over the key to the main bookee. Its not infallible but still works better than most other methods... H

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Robert7098 

You don't give a lot of detail as to what sort of lock this problem lock is, or how you came by it but, if I can just make a couple of general observations.

1/......Stay away from anything online you can't easily return. Although the internet is a great tool, it abounds with products and services that sound too good to be true.....and in many instances are.

2/......When you run a short term rental facility you are dealing with people across all ages and levels of technical ability. The safest option is to keep it simple, that way you minimise the chance of problems happening.

I have been doing this for 8 years and spent most of that time here on he CC and this problem of guest entry not working is a recurring theme. Sure there are smart locks, key-less entry and there are no doubt instances where it works successfully but I can't tell you how many times an arriving guest has said to me...."Ah, thank goodness, a good old fashion key in the lock". They know where they stand!

I have resisted the urge to go high tech, I have a good quality 'Master Locks' deadlock on the cottage entry door which cost me about $25 and I was able to install it myself. I have a lock-box on the wall next to my listing cottage entrance which cost about the same, is self illuminating for night time use.......Robert nothing ever goes wrong with it and every one of my 750+ guests have know exactly how to use it.

IMG20180308201510 b.jpg

So Robert, remember, this is not just something for your convenience, it must be for the guests convenience as well. You obviously either service the cottage yourself between stays or have it serviced by others, you get into a routine after a while with changing the key-code for incoming guests......put this one down to experience and don't try to re-invent the wheel!

Cheers........Rob.