Laundry

Patrice472
Level 3
Springfield, GA

Laundry

Hey 

So I’m new to hosting. I have a home and guests have their own room and bathroom and we share certain spaces. I have pretty pricey smart washer and dryer. I have recently had a few issues with guests not adhering to some rules when it comes to the washer and dryer. I have it clearly stated that guest must be briefed on its use by the host before they use them. Guest just proceed to use them, putting detergent and softener in the drum when the machines self dispenses. 🫣 I have also have guests doing laundry every other day or doing 3 or more loads per day. 

I would like to update my laundry rules to the following to minimize wear and tear on my appliances lower utility costs. I would love some feedback

1. Laundry services are restricted to guest staying a week (7 days) or more. 

2. Guests are limited to 2 loads per wk.
3. Guests must not operate the washer and dryer until they have been briefed by the host. 

44 Replies 44

You’re so right! But I’ve had guests go out and get their own 😂😂 but I’ll definitely do this 

Laminate instructions which in our experience will not matter much. Even our best guests fail to follow the most simplest of instructions. This is an experiment for us (making the guest house available at the first of the year). We added a hot tub and pool specifically for Airbnb guests at a substantial cost ($150K plus) which we know now was a mistake. It took three months of abuse with the hot tub rules through the end of winter to reach the decision of making it and the pool off limits when pool season arrived April 1. We had MANY cancellations as a result which is fine, this may not be for us, time will tell as I was ready to delist the property last month. Friends and family use it a couple of times a year but for the most part it sits empty. That said, I prefer empty to much of what I have seen. For whatever reason, people seem to think spending a few hundred dollars a night gives them a license to do as they please. It's been beyond frustrating for us. 

This (and the rest of the suggestions are good, too)! Also, if you have rental insurance, or can look at an home warranty policy. The bump in your base rate can help you pay for coverage as well as repair/replacement.

As for people not "following the rules"... This is what the review process is for... Where the breakage is unintentional, be kind publicly, but advise better in their private note. Otherwise (and in any case), please let other hosts know of the guest's behavior.

That sounds very reasonable.  I plan to open a shared space soon  glad you shared this.  
My current  Airbnb has a coin operated laundry .  So I can only speculate. 

Theresa680
Level 1
Whitecourt, Canada

How sort just get cheaper easier machines or budget in to have those replaced. 
I think less is more

having a bunch of rules on something as simple as washing clothes would be a barrier to booking for me 

it’s adding stress and complications to you and your guests. 

I vote - diff and easy to use machines that are normal. . For you to get peace of mind and great reviews and enjoy this process overall.  

your making money  and enjoying hosting. The laundry shouldn’t be the focal point 

Thanks for the suggestion.  

I simply say washer and dryer are available upon request. When they request, you can let them know how to use it,  how often and how much they can put in it. I'd also add simple labels to the machine and/or maybe tape simple laminated instructions/do's and don't's to the front. 

Love that you are bringing this up. And I think these things are very difficult and very nuanced. Fundamentally, while people do care for the most part, there is always this basic bias where people simply don't care as much about stuff that isn't theirs. However much I want it to be true, it is true.

I thought the suggestion around leaving a list of instructions was very smart. And I would keep venmo posted. I don't fully like what I'm about to suggest, but there is a lot that people don't understand about AirBNB and how it works. Putting a sheet next to the directions or in the hosting guide with prices from the down-the-road laundrmat might be effective. If you position it showing they have options, and also with clear prices, then it helps them understand that this is actually a cost to you. 

People don't realize how much things simply cost.

Sissy6
Level 1
Mt Pleasant, SC

Hi there,

I am probably not the best one to interject here b/c I don’t have a washer and dryer for my guests, but when they ask, I do let them know that there is one in the garage and I use the garage for storage. Seldom do folks ask if they can use it, but If they do, I try and accommodate to their needs. 
Maybe you could leave it out as one of your offered amenities and that way if they do ask, you could tell them they can use it, but explain the process. Don’t know if that helps or not. If your washer and dryer are in the common space but in a closet and you decide not to list it as an amenity, maybe you could put a lock on it. That way if they ask to use it, you can explain to them how to use it and the importance of using  it properly. 😊

Sincerely,

Sissy

Sheryl237
Level 2
Lebanon, KY

I thought about guest using my washer and dryer and then decided against it. You might consider doing that as well especially with people that abuse the system. Best wishes!

Shan3314
Level 2
West Covina, CA

I charge $3 per load for wash/dry/detergent so eliminate the chance of overusage. I leared this from other hosts cuz some guests would take advantage of free laundry. (I rent out private room so listing price is already low)

Teri52
Level 2
Henderson, NV

Hello- those are good rules-  however enforcing might be impossible since you wouldn't  have a camera to catch them.  Yes I have seen people use my washer/ dryer when driving to my home , it's easy to bring loads. I just know afterwards usually from the lint which I have notes requesting checking because it's a fire hazard and also my settings are changed.

we have found after two years of Airbnb hosting the majority of  renters don't like asking questions. I agree that making sure their price to stay will cover costs of usage of washer / dryer.

William2438
Level 2
West Melbourne, FL

I would not limit the amount of times they could actually use the washing machine and dryer. I would, however write up instructions and laminate it and place it near the washer and dryer so that there are clear instructions on how it operates. I would also have the instructions embedded into your listing so that they receive it as part of the welcome instructions. Sending directions multiple times is always helpful. 

… Please contact host for access code to washing machine. 

Switch off the breaker to the machines. 

Tariq52
Level 3
Squamish, Canada

I offer the washer and dryer as amenities in my listing. My advice is to follow the KISS rule. 

I keep it simple and provide laundry tabs and dryer sheets. It's very difficult to mess that up. I understand you have some expensive machines. But these things are built to last - 10-15 years for normal use, in most cases. I find that almost all of my guests use the laundry, even for 2 night stays.

As a guest, I would find it unreasonable to see laundry restrictions if I'm booking a shorter stay. Many guests travel from out of town, and being able to do laundry is a huge plus. These restrictions could result in lower occupancy rates, or a poor experience for your guests.

Most laundry machines are self-explanatory and don't require any instructions. This would be the way to keep it, but every circumstance is different. If you have to provide instructions, I would do so in the house rules and in a note like others have suggested.

To offset the cost of utilities, you can always raise your prices. The more restrictions and rules you have, the more friction it creates. And you want the least amount of friction possible!