Laundry

Patrice472
Level 3
Springfield, GA

Laundry

Hey 

So I’m new to hosting. I have a home and guests have their own room and bathroom and we share certain spaces. I have pretty pricey smart washer and dryer. I have recently had a few issues with guests not adhering to some rules when it comes to the washer and dryer. I have it clearly stated that guest must be briefed on its use by the host before they use them. Guest just proceed to use them, putting detergent and softener in the drum when the machines self dispenses. 🫣 I have also have guests doing laundry every other day or doing 3 or more loads per day. 

I would like to update my laundry rules to the following to minimize wear and tear on my appliances lower utility costs. I would love some feedback

1. Laundry services are restricted to guest staying a week (7 days) or more. 

2. Guests are limited to 2 loads per wk.
3. Guests must not operate the washer and dryer until they have been briefed by the host. 

44 Replies 44
Stephanie3138
Level 2
Mill Valley, CA

I don't have a laundry, but I think you could put what you have said in your notes.  I would put #3 first in your list.  And then add the other 2.  Or, don't even advertise about the w/d and as each person checks in, just have a chat with them IF they need washer/dryer.

That's what I would do.

Stephanie

@Patrice472 

After all is said and done, I believe your ONLY choice is to remove those Expensive Units because this is beyond your control. People will do / use whatever they want if they have access to it even if its not LISTED in the amenities. They some how get the feeling as though they are paying for it and that means they can use whatever they want too. I recently had a booking use/take all the Laundry Pods (the Jumbo ones) that they wanted cause they could, I don't believe they came with 10-12 loads of laundry for just a weekend booking and arrived after 8:30pm on a Friday night and was all checked out on Sunday by 11am. I think if your home is being left safe without damage to anything your ahead of the game. In the Air BnB world the bottom line is did they PAY and that is all that matters in the END. So sad but So TRUE I only hope you find some peace and wisdom in this reply. Good Luck in your future bookings pick your Battles !!

Theodore74
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Is there a laundromat close by?  The simplest thing you can do  is update your house rules to have guests use outside facilities.  if you’d like to bring the service back in house, conditioner standard appliances that can be used without explanation.  Putting too many steps into a community routine like laundry can be confusing for some and set the wrong tone.

Theodore J Kriesel

Hello Patrice

I know this problem from the past. You can make rules however you want. The only thing that helps is a coin machine and a private one. Otherwise it never ends.

Kind regards

Sylke

Susan5159
Level 2
Arroyo Grande, CA

Is there a way to lock laundry space? This will require a verbal or written request from guest to utilize appliances. Which, would allow you to provide you the opportunity to provide specific instructions! You would have to list wash times though, otherwise you would be held hostage to their clock and calendar! 

If this is causing a true threat to your appliances; just say there are particular wash times upon departure date, which are by appointment only! 

Good luck! 

Sri-Puji0
Level 1
Pakem, Indonesia

Hello Patricia,

Good question! Actually we never had such an issue. We have a brand new washing machine Samsung, in the attached bathroom, that some 30% of our guests have used, without any problem. We supplied the washing powder, and noone abused the system, it was always reasonable use from their side.

But your three rules make sense, and I wish you good luck with this issue.

All the best,

Sri Puji

عماد-شعبان0
Level 3
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

If you are at home permanently. It is better for you to put away or look at the clothes that need to be washed

Usually good guests will come and take an interest in the house and the machinery. Sometimes guests will come who do not care about the house. When determining the rental price, you must include all services, such as maintenance and cleaning

Sofia1280
Level 1
Alexandria, VA

Hi Patrice

You are certainly entitled to your rules and if you made it clear in your post under house rules, the guest must be abide by the house rulers. From my roommate experience have them signed the house rules as soon they are as they arrive. Inddition, you must be seriouse with them. Do not try to chat or be friend with them. 

Good luck

I also require a minimum stay of 1 week at my Airbnb. Guests must provide their own detergent/fabric softener. My guests normally come to me before using washing machine in order to use it properly, so odd that you have that issue. I do like the two loads per week idea.

Troy315
Level 1
Memphis, TN

I agree with your rules. Some people don't take care of property they don't have to pay for.

Sophie2645
Level 2
McDonough, GA

I agree with your rules.

Steve482
Level 2
Edinburg, TX

You are new! 😊 and experiencing the importance of being in charge. Do you ID guests on arrival? All hotels do. Among other things it establishes a bit of authority. That said it’s then easy to clarify expectations & needs on all sides - or not! - and then you have a real problem. Filter your requests carefully. Guests new to Airbnb or with little or no reviews are unknowns. How many in the party or how long. 

That said being a host begins with hospitality & respect for diversity. Without knowing the context & frequency of oops - I can’t offer much more than that. We enjoy hosting immensely for the people we’ve met - some still acquaintances. The income is secondary. Before Airbnb we hosted foreign students & managed rental property. It’s not for everyone but we enjoy it. 

Tresa4
Level 2
Huntington Beach, CA

Hi @Patrice472 ,

is there anyway you can close off the washer with a locked door or curtain? Then give the key to seven day guests, but not others? In my experience, people have no problem with closed off spaces. But understandably feel irked if something is offered and then restricted.

I put a magnetic page protector on my washer/dryer that reads:

Big letters: “It’s no fun if you’re in a hurry and your socks won’t dry.”

Medium size lettering: “To avoid inconveniences, please follow the steps below when using our washer/dryer:”

Then list bullet points below including, “1 load per day please”, etc. Use language that puts responsibility on guest when using YOUR washer. And point out how a malfunction will affect THEM. People on vacation often forget that Household items are not for their individual use. **Magnetic page protectors (Amazon) hold a printout that can be edited if necessary.

Also, maybe switch to laundry pods? Put a bullet on the sign saying “only use provided pods in washer”. Then provide guest with one pod per day?

Valerie1336
Level 2
Austin, TX

HI and welcome to hosting! 

I had an issue with our small stackable washer dryer where people were putting way too much soap in it. I dealt with it by buying much smaller and manageable  bottles of detergent and I put a very clear laminated sign I printed out with a smiling washing machine to get their attention. I made the instructions as clear as possible and mentioned it would save the machine from overflowing and potentially breaking. Maybe your sign could say in large letters not to put in detergent or softener as the machine will self dispense. 

I believe that most guests will view laundry as an amenity they should be able to use as much as possible. They probably don't want to spend their vacation doing laundry anyway. I would not limit it and make it part of the rules that guest understand that the machine does not require detergent and guests agree to cover repairs if this rule is not followed. 

I hope this helps! I'm sure they will be impressed with your machine that is so convenient! I would be. 

Valerie

Cheri354
Level 10
Helena-West Helena, AR

Are you also supplying detergent and softener ? I would post that you will provide a travel size amount after they are given a walk through on how to use the units. Then remove the detergent/softener and laundry basket.

Or, figure out how to lock the unit (clasp/padlock on washer door) until they are shown how to use it.

Any way to add a locking cupboard door to stop use ?